Metallica

Pretty decent, though the last 45 secs sounds heavily reminiscent of Sweet Amber. The Day that Never Comes still reigns as the standout track. Could have also went for a rib shredding solo interlaced in there.

i think Lars is a lousy drummer as much as the next guy ... but I gotta say, he does accent songs in some great spots and a lot of his simple beats made for very memorable classics.

i think Lars is a lousy drummer as much as the next guy ... but I gotta say, he does accent songs in some great spots and a lot of his simple beats made for very memorable classics.

Can't disagree there - even if there's nothing spectacular about their (first few) albums, the simple stuff seldom ruin anything and often fit very very well. Disposable Heroes is probably Lars' greatest hit if you ask me.
Where he sucks is how he SLAUGHTERS the old shit live (see no double bass on Dyer's eve, compare anything to Mr. Lombardo's KICKASS guest appearance on the Four Horsemen, both in France I believe a few years past)

1219687279176rw2.jpg

hahahahahahahahahaha AWESOME

Speaking of Metallica, I was just reflecting on how, individually, they're not (nor ever have been) particularly talented musicians by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, together, they came up with Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, etc.
Interesting.

that's why they are still together and almost freaked out on skoM when the thought of the band ending almost became reality ... either one on their own is useless.

Speaking of Metallica, I was just reflecting on how, individually, they're not (nor ever have been) particularly talented musicians by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, together, they came up with Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, etc.
Interesting.
So true, and awesome. Ah, the old days :cry:
On another note, I've listened enough to Death Magnetic the last few days to have a valid opinion, and my valid opinion is that it sucks. If it had been released as the successor to Reload when I was a bit younger and more fanboyish I probably would have liked it, but in truth it just is no good.

Interesting.

I don't see the connection between handling one's instrument well and being able to write good songs.

I don't see the connection between handling one's instrument well and being able to write good songs.

I'm with you to a certain extent... One has to be able to handle at least one instrument I think, and for convenience's sake well. Being WOW-great is usually more of an obstacle though because most songs end up being about showing off instead of just being plain fucking awesome allover.