Metallica

In a brand new interview with SPIN magazine, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich was asked if he was surprised by the reaction to "Lulu", the band's collaborative album with Lou Reed. "It was more spiteful than anyone was prepared for," Lars replied. "Especially against Lou. He is such a sweet man. But when METALLICA do impulsive riffing and Lou Reed is reciting abstract poetry about German bohemians from 150 years ago, it can be difficult to embrace."

Lars also said that he never had second thoughts when sweet Lou came in with lyrics like "I swallow your sharpest cutter / Like a colored man's dick". "I understand that to some 13-year-old in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, it can all seem a little cringe-worthy, but to someone raised in an art community in Copenhagen in the late '60s, that was expected," he said.

:lol:

:lol: The idea that Lou Reed (hell, Metallica themselves at this point) are *allowed* to do anything other than work at the local burger joint depresses the shit out of me. Just once...JUST ONCE...I want one of these types of douchebags to publish an essay detailing how they just happened to be in the right place at the right time and they are, in fact, utterly devoid of skill, talent or education.

they should have recorded that album and bury it in their vault to be released after their death/retirement. it would have become a classic.

so Metallica is out in Europe playing the entire Black Album ... with James wearing an ironic hellmike like thrasher vest ...

gotta give it to these guys though ... they are freaking road warriors.

so Metallica is out in Europe playing the entire Black Album ... with James wearing an ironic hellmike like thrasher vest ...

05may0712_pic12.jpg

to be fair that looks pretty bad ass

and not ironic either

it might actually be his genuine vest from the early 80s??? judging by all the old-ass bands??? but more probably its something their PR department carefully stitched together

Yeah that looks pretty spotless. Still cool though.
The ironic part is that it was chosen to appear on a tour celebrating the black album.

they played Escape for the first time ever live ... this past weekend in Nu Jeysey

Last edited by a moderator:
it was a pretty bad rendition and rather limp ... and oddly Lars seemed to be most on top of it.

well to be fair it is a bad song so under those circumstances i think they did alright

i was at this show ... an 18 y/o lurch ... what a fucking day :kickass:

i saw some comment on youtube (not sure how much truth there is to it) that they wrote that song at the request of the record co. to have a more "accessible" song for radio as Fade was deemed to dark (the one the band wanted to go to radio)

so the band is not a big fan of Escape because of that . ... kickass song me thinks.

Ride is really my fave record overall ... but my fave songs are on MoP/

btw Jerry ... did you ever hear the Gojira Escape cover?

pro shot entire Ride performance from past weekend

The only thing worse than James' voice is Kirk's sloppy-ass playing. You can tell he's not even trying to dial it in. Lars is actually the best musician in that performance, thinking he's been taking lessons finally.

lars ulrich plays better than usual but someone should tell him that china cymbals are more effective as accents and not for playing whole fucking songs on