Mikael, I know that you must regularly check this forum

jaykeegan

Jan 27, 2004
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Mikael, I know that you must regularly check this forum. So, Do you think I could ask you to just take a couple of minutes of your time to answer one simple question for me.

I am just rather curious to know what would be some of your main musical influences that are feeding your musical creativity towards the writing process of the next Opeth album? In the ''Lamentations'' DVD, You stated that the next Opeth album could possibly be ''Borderline to Black Metal''. Have you been listening to much Black Metal at all as of lately?

hmm, this smells of a bit of redundancy to me. He said pretty much all he could in an earlier thread addressed to him regarding the writing of the new album.

But let's see how this thread turns out.

It doesn't seem too redundant... I too would like to know any of his Black Metal influences at the moment. And if he has none, get some. :headbang:

"He said pretty much all he could in an earlier thread addressed to him regarding the writing of the new album" - Can someone point me to that thread? I can't seem to find what you are talking about.. thanks. :devil:

I really dont think Mikael is the type of guy to put on a black metal record, and suddenly want to write a black metalish album because of it. From what ive read and heard, he doesnt listen to many new metal bands, and so a new/modern influence seems unlikely and i know some of his immediate black metal influences are Bathory, Venom, Emperor and Arcturus (if we want to classify them as such)...among others...so im sure any of those would have influenced him in one way or another if thats the case.

All in all, id say he just wants to write a very evil and extreme Opeth album...and the way he chose to describe it was "borderline blackmetal".

I think many of you are taking the term "blackmetal" far to literally here.

I think the only thing to expect here, is the unexpected. Any narrow assumption or speculation as to individual black metal bands as referance seems silly.

Yes, well to even border black metal, there have to be some influences. And there is no denying that those are black metal bands LoGaP... :Smug:

Moonlapse said:
I think by Black Metal he meant the first wave kind of stuff. Bands like Celtic Frost.. etc

Most likely....Opeth always has a vintage feel to them, so a sound of a more old school nature would make more sense anyway.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
I really dont think Mikael is the type of guy to put on a black metal record, and suddenly want to write a black metalish album because of it. From what ive read and heard, he doesnt listen to many new metal bands, and so a new/modern influence seems unlikely and i know some of his immediate black metal influences are Bathory, Venom, Emperor and Arcturus (if we want to classify them as such)...among others...so im sure any of those would have influenced him in one way or another if thats the case.

All in all, id say he just wants to write a very evil and extreme Opeth album...and the way he chose to describe it was "borderline blackmetal".

I think many of you are taking the term "blackmetal" far to literally here.

I think the only thing to expect here, is the unexpected. Any narrow assumption or speculation as to individual black metal bands as referance seems silly.
I'd guess Bathory would be closer influence due to its folk influences. Opeth does have some folk elements to it.

I hope its fucking evil and scare the little trendwhores off.

:lol: Good thing Mikael <insert cool A here, cuz I dont have a # pad>kerfeldt isn't the one that posts under g6u or any of your other accts.