Mikael's attack on KsE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikael Akerfeldt said:
The quote is a bit misleading. I don't particulary like Killswitch but have nothing against them really. All I was saying that I don't see the same quality in them as I do in Priest or Maiden. Partly because they we're innovators and KE to me sounds like a rehashed version of what's been going on in Sweden for 16 years or more. Had you lived in Sweden you'd share my opinion on that I'm pretty sure.

Then the thing with the boyband comment...was not addressed to KE but an observation of the overall nu or whatever metalcore scene in the US. And here I stick to my guns...
I will not deny anyone liking these bands and what the fuck would they care what I think is good or bad anyways.

Seems like the guy posting this thread is only looking for some fucking drama. and here is an end to that. What are you doing here anyways when you only seem to want to bash us? Go to KE forum is my advice.

Cheers guys + having a blast in Oz right now.
M

Pwned.

Oinkness, I suggest you leave the forums. Mike personally owned your ass in his two posts.

Mikael Akerfeldt said:
Wow, just saw the Blabbermouth thing and it really escalated out of control there. All I can say is that the interview has mistakes. For one I didn't compare KE to Priest when I was growing up as...well, they weren't around then. Blabber is also out for drama taking that line as the headlining quote.
I hope people are smart enough to understand that there are US bands that I completely adore...like Nevermore and Tool. I was only talking about the so called metalcore or nu metal scene and it looks as if I was bashing the whole of the US metal scene.

We're jealous? OK, whatever...
Seems a lot of people won't allow me to have or express my taste in music anymore, so I guess I'll have to become a fan of whatever's selling to prove I'm not jealous.

And I've met the guys in KE once and they seemed like nice dudes (not that pretty either), I'd never publically bash a band that didn't deserve it. And is it an attack, Oinkness or whatever the fuck your name is, by saying Priest and Maiden mean more to me than KE?

All of you gotta understand that out of the zillion interviews I do, some will take the so called "good stuff" and put it forward and make me seem like a prick.

Cheers guys
Mike

I'd like to say a few things about how this thread totally became huge and got two blabbermouth appearances and all this attention... First off,

I am so honored that Mikael typed my nickname! Oinkness or whatever the fukk my name is... Yaaayy! :kickass:

Second, it's not an attack to say you like Maiden or Priest more than KSE. I like Opeth more than KSE. The so-called "attack" was the misleading interview where they put KsE as the example of american corporate boyband people with guitars! But you already said that was misleading or something earlier!

I didn't mean for this thing to get so big, but I must point back to an earlier post of mine in this thread.... http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4811972&postcount=109

I'm sorry for pissing everyone off and summoning the wrath of Akerfeldt. :zombie: This whole thing really got out of hand. I was just raging against the comments last night because I was tired and thought it was a valid point for debate, but really - in all honesty, I didn't think it would go this far. I've had a ton of threads deleted or just plain closed or ignored, I thought this would end up being one... but this became one of my best threads ever.

If I could go back in time, I would stop myself from making this thread.

Also, blabbermouth pissed me off by editting Mikael's statements to remove "Oinkness or whatever the fuck your name is" from his sentence. "And is it an attack . . .by saying PRIEST and MAIDEN mean more to me than [KILLSWITCH ENGAGE]?" I know BlaBBERMouth doesn't like me or my bands because they always ignore my band-related news, yet you'll hear about SIDKGHl finishing their 3-song demo and looking for band members and a label. Laaame....

I will say this again, I'm sorry the thread got so out of hand! I would like to give my apologies to Mikael as well, he had to go through all the trouble of publishing statements about this and have his word printed on BMouth too many times. I still love Opeth, even if the feeling is sort of leaving, the band isn't dying so much and some feeling is still there. But I am still comparing all future releases to Still Life, so watch out. :lol:

Are you kidding Mike! I'm not going to go to the KsE board instead of here, I've got all of Opeth CDs +DVD and even Morningrise vinyl, and would gladly choose Opeth over KsE! I'm going to be here for a long, long time. Maybe another 5 years! :kickass:

Oinkness said:
Go ahead, flame me. But the guitarists are better at what they do, and their vocalist is great too, and could sing circles around Mike. :eek: Unlike Opeth, they can play music over 70 BPM.... they can play fast-paced stuff, and slow mellow stuff. In that way, they are similar to Opeth. :eek:

They've also got a completely different attitude than Opeth.... they're not disrespectful and negative, nor have huge egos.

Furthermore, who would compare Killswitch to maiden or priest?
KsE is obviously a lot better than both today. :p

I actualy LOLed at this:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a faggot.

captfb said:
Thanks for the welcome.

The charge of my post being part of a chauvinistic American patriotic plot is a tired and unoriginal argument. Anytime someone from America stands up and has an opinion on the world stage about a topic they are just rude and ignorant. Right? But the reality is that such a statement is dismissive and immature. Such arguments speak more about the person using them then the person they are used against.

Are you trying to say that Americans some how invented nationalism? Do we want to get into a discussion of historical nationalism? Clearly Americans didn’t invent nationalism nor are they only people to have ever used it. I seem to remember a quote about making the world British! I could be a bit off on the quote. But I digress. I welcome an open discussion of Opeth/music and likes/dislikes. But don’t generalize against America or American music. Generalizations are the stuff of weak arguments.

Do you expect people to not comment on unfair generalizations? What I discussed about blues/country is fact. It speaks to the cyclical nature of art influencing art. Those European bands then influenced American bands that influenced European bands and so forth. Its not a one way street. At the gates didn’t just pop up uninfluenced nor did KSE. In my humble opinion Mikaels comments do not reflect a proper view of musical history nor do they speak to the truth that artists influence artists back and forth.

Have a great day! I think I am going to step away from the computer and go listen to some music!

Why can't you read the words without inventing some non-existent subtext?

Anytime someone from America stands up and forces their opinion of their Country on others when it has nothing to do with what is being discussed, they are just rude and ignorant. As someone else has already pointed out, you have come up with a meaning that has not even been implied. The fact that he refered to some American bands does not make it an attack on your blessed cuntry, he is just making the point that it seems to be prevalent there. Nothing that can cause insult, surely?

When you misinterpret a comment, how does that make me immature?

I am not trying to say that Americans some how invented nationalism, but they are very good at getting very hot under the collar as soon as someone says something that is not complimentary about something to do with the Country. For example, ranting about the fact that most music is influenced by America. Which group of settlers are you considering the origin, by the way?

Neither I nor Mikael have generalised against America or American music from what I can see. Generalisations are the stuff of weak arguments, please do not use them or create them in text where they are not.

I am getting bored now, so will not continue. I shall just clarify one point... Heavy Metal is essentially of English origin.

Ooh, I bet I get attacked for that. Bring it on...

Oinkness said:
I know BlaBBERMouth doesn't like me or my bands because they always ignore my band-related news, yet you'll hear about SIDKGHl finishing their 3-song demo and looking for band members and a label.

It may have something to do with the way you communicate.

derbeder said:
he apologized. it's best to let it go.
no he didn't apologize. he clarified. he shouldn't have to apologize for an OPINION.

Personally I agree with Mikael & everything AlexGuinness said above.

KILL THIS SHIT THREAD NOW.

Oinkness said:
Is Mike really one to talk?
They've been making the same freaking thing over and over.
Except now the feeling is lost in the music.
Since Still Life, BWP, Deliverance.... Opeth has been dying,
a little more for each release, until the emotion that was once there is gone.
Opeth has turned into the corporate mechanism that Mike is bashing.

huh wait.. is that a band-flaming discussion ?... and is it me or you are bashing a band because they bashed another band ? That's quite a paradox.

Kenneth R. said:
no he didn't apologize. he clarified. he shouldn't have to apologize for an OPINION.

Personally I agree with Mikael & everything AlexGuinness said above.

KILL THIS SHIT THREAD NOW.
He was talking about me apologizing...
So let it go. ^_^

Oinkness said:
He was talking about me apologizing...
So let it go. ^_^
normally i'm a nice guy. normally. but honestly oink, who the fuck cares about you?

and further, the peope who started this thread... :Smug: and the ones who agreed with them, causing MIKE to have to reply, fuck yourselves. this is absurd and should not be necessary on this forum.

Kenneth R. said:
normally i'm a nice guy. normally. but honestly oink, who the fuck cares about you?

and further, the peope who started this thread... :Smug: and the ones who agreed with them, causing MIKE to have to reply, fuck yourselves. this is absurd and should not be necessary on this forum.
Aww you care about me enough to ask me a question and refer to me indirectly. ^-^

May God bless ye, and may ye be fruitful in life.

Kenneth R. said:

motion to ban oinkness. i've never seen anything good come out of him :erk:

Oinkness said:
I'd like to say a few things about how this thread totally became huge and got two blabbermouth appearances and all this attention... First off,

I am so honored that Mikael typed my nickname! Oinkness or whatever the fukk my name is... Yaaayy! :kickass:

Second, it's not an attack to say you like Maiden or Priest more than KSE. I like Opeth more than KSE. The so-called "attack" was the misleading interview where they put KsE as the example of american corporate boyband people with guitars! But you already said that was misleading or something earlier!

I didn't mean for this thing to get so big, but I must point back to an earlier post of mine in this thread.... http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4811972&postcount=109

I'm sorry for pissing everyone off and summoning the wrath of Akerfeldt. :zombie: This whole thing really got out of hand. I was just raging against the comments last night because I was tired and thought it was a valid point for debate, but really - in all honesty, I didn't think it would go this far. I've had a ton of threads deleted or just plain closed or ignored, I thought this would end up being one... but this became one of my best threads ever.

If I could go back in time, I would stop myself from making this thread.

Also, blabbermouth pissed me off by editting Mikael's statements to remove "Oinkness or whatever the fuck your name is" from his sentence. "And is it an attack . . .by saying PRIEST and MAIDEN mean more to me than [KILLSWITCH ENGAGE]?" I know BlaBBERMouth doesn't like me or my bands because they always ignore my band-related news, yet you'll hear about SIDKGHl finishing their 3-song demo and looking for band members and a label. Laaame....

I will say this again, I'm sorry the thread got so out of hand! I would like to give my apologies to Mikael as well, he had to go through all the trouble of publishing statements about this and have his word printed on BMouth too many times. I still love Opeth, even if the feeling is sort of leaving, the band isn't dying so much and some feeling is still there. But I am still comparing all future releases to Still Life, so watch out. :lol:

Are you kidding Mike! I'm not going to go to the KsE board instead of here, I've got all of Opeth CDs +DVD and even Morningrise vinyl, and would gladly choose Opeth over KsE! I'm going to be here for a long, long time. Maybe another 5 years! :kickass:

A.K.A. sucking up and apologizing to Mike.
Funny how you say Opeth is boring and lost their "feeling", yet you feel compelled to make a long post to suck up to Mike after he owned your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.