Mike and Ipods

nat0

Sep 6, 2008
Mike, you said in an interview you listened to the zombies on your ipod but your best pal steven wilson destroys them with blow torches. What do you have to say for yourself?

It's not the ipod Steven discourages...it's the people that don't fully digest any of their music. The ipod is good symbolism of this because of the "Ipod Shuffle" and the robot-like mentality that results from this. Also related to that, it symbolizes the download culture, where full cds (or even just single songs) are downloaded to just be background music and not fully enjoyed. It's more of a fashion statement/youth rite of passage to listen to certain stuff nowadays.

The ipod is a fantastic thing, and anyone who appreciates music could see that. You could walk around with millions of songs in your pocket for god sakes. Imagine telling people about that in the 70's! The problem, and one where Steven seems very outspoken about, is the new generation of kids who are soulless (for lack of a better term). If you are in an Opeth forum, I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

It's not the ipod Steven discourages...it's the people that don't fully digest any of their music. The ipod is good symbolism of this because of the "Ipod Shuffle" and the robot-like mentality that results from this. Also related to that, it symbolizes the download culture, where full cds (or even just single songs) are downloaded to just be background music and not fully enjoyed. It's more of a fashion statement/youth rite of passage to listen to certain stuff nowadays.

The ipod is a fantastic thing, and anyone who appreciates music could see that. You could walk around with millions of songs in your pocket for god sakes. Imagine telling people about that in the 70's! The problem, and one where Steven seems very outspoken about, is the new generation of kids who are soulless (for lack of a better term). If you are in an Opeth forum, I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

Exactly. The general masses just listen to what's given to them without any thought. Most people aren't curious enough to look for better and more fulfilling music. When see a more mainstream band in concert you notice that most people only know the singles and thats it. The ipod allows people to carry gigs of fads on them and for others to go "look at me, I have an ipod."

I still willfully carry around cds, and have my cd walkman sitting at my desk.
I have an Ipod, but seem to lose it every couple of days.
I would rather the ipod because i do have a really bad habit of scratching my cds till their dead.

Therefore Mikael isn't Steven.
On topic : I got an iPod but I just use it within the bus or before sleeping. Otherwise it is very useful because I use it as an external hard-disk so I can carry many programs and stuff elsewhere without having a big box (500 gb like I got at home). That's the main purpose, I think. My iPod as 80GB but I think now they are selling something like 160GB which is great, except the fact that it costs so much.

I think ipods suck because iTunes sucks. Worst program I have ever had the displeasure of using.

I have a Sony Walkman MP3 player and I love it. Works very well with WMP, which is very simple to use.

Maybe I'll send Mike a Walkman for Christmas, filled with pompous SW tunes...

I think ipods suck because iTunes sucks. Worst program I have ever had the displeasure of using.

I have a Sony Walkman MP3 player and I love it. Works very well with WMP, which is very simple to use.

Maybe I'll send Mike a Walkman for Christmas, filled with pompous SW tunes...