Mike and Ipods

Shouldn't those who are responsible for the prices use the same policy as Mac, they sell their products according to the place where they sell. At least, that's what I noticed, you go on the US Shop and prices are way cheaper than any European one !

If you mean Mac as in Apple Computers... dude, Apple computers in Chile run almost twice as much as in the US.

If not, then I have no idea what you're talking about :D

ok whoever said lossless audio from ripping a cd has no compression i owned u in the end haha

"For those of you with large hard drives and an ear for quality, the lossless format will provide you with a mathematically identical copy of the original data from your CD. Although there is still some compression, the files are nearly 10 times the size of a typical Itunes audio file."

http://techstructions.blogspot.com/2007/04/ripping-lossless-audio-file.html

So if u make unsabstantiated comments to other peoples intuition make sure u tell people theyre unsubstantiated. pwned.

ok whoever said lossless audio from ripping a cd has no compression i owned u in the end haha

"For those of you with large hard drives and an ear for quality, the lossless format will provide you with a mathematically identical copy of the original data from your CD. Although there is still some compression, the files are nearly 10 times the size of a typical Itunes audio file."

So if u make unsabstantiated comments to other peoples intuition make sure u tell people theyre unsubstantiated. pwned.

you cretin, obviously there's compression otherwise it'd be an exact 1:1 copy of the wavs on the cd. but there's compression of the file, not loss of data itself via re-encoding to a format that will cut bits off.

fwiw blind tests have shown that a majority of people can't tell the difference between 160-320 vbr and lossless/wav.

Ummm you just owned yourself. Look at that part again, "The loseless format will provide you with a mathematically identical copy of the original data from your CD".

So, to quote myself again:

Prophet178 said:
When you rip a CD lossless, no matter what format, you get a 1:1 rip of that CD, bit by bit. If you compared the raw .wav files from the CD and the lossless file, there would be no difference.

Go ahead and try it, rip a CD to a loseless WMA or AAC, bring it up in a WAVE sine viewer, and compare the file to the CD, you will notice no difference from the file and the CD.

And to further push the point, the article also said "and an ear for quality", like Wolfwood and I have said multiple times, the average listener (ie YOU and ME) will never notice the difference between a 320kbs mp3 rip and a loseless .wav or FLAC or whatever the fuck you kids use today for no reason at all.

I'm going to miss this thread too, some good discussion went on here.

Isn't it right to say that anytime an informatic (101000100101) data is transfered somewhere, there is necesserily informations lost (even though the amount ridiculously small) ?

Not really. It depends on the original source. If the original source is analog (like a traditional film photo, or an analog sound recording) there is a loss in the analog/digital conversion, since your'e downgrading from a continuum to a discrete representation.

However, in the case of music CDs, the information is already in digital format so no information is lost in the transformation from audio CD to WAV or FLAC.

I thought whenever there was a transfer, something was loss, even though it's imperceptible. But alright.

If you go from an analogue format to a digital format there will be, but since a CD is already digital a 1:1 copy is capable.

Look at it this way, when you rip a DVD to your hard drive, are you missing scenes or audio? Nope. That is because you get a straight copy of the digital information on that DVD. If you were to copy the tape reel (analogue), THEN you would be missing data. Just like if you were to copy vinyl (also analogue) you would be losing data.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Well yeah kind of. It's just my physic teacher who explained me about electricity and binary stuff, and how the information was transmitted but I still am not sure that all those data can PERFECTLY be conserved through transmission.

i think u shud admit defeat prophet. it doesnt matter if they sound the same. it says 'there is still some compression' despite it being 'mathematically
identical', which means that in the end, despite our ears being incapable of hearing the difference:

CD>lossless and ur owned