Mike and Ipods

None of you guys mentioned the most dangerous things about downloading.
You download an album, a discography, a software program, whatever the shit you want and you use it for private activity, it still can be okay. But downloading it and then set up your business based on selling downloaded stuff and you get all the money and the producer gets nothing, IS the biggest problem ! it's like the swine flu, if only one gets ill, it still can be fine, but affecting a whole network of people = death.

actually what motivates legal actions against pirates is tax evasion mostly, at least, in my country.

Haha, who does that? Sets up a business based off downloaded music? I've never heard of anyone doing that before...

Most third world countries are like that. I know in some countries in South America, the buying-fake-cd's thing is a huge business.

It's not only a question about regulations. Many people neither have the interest, nor the money to own a computer (or internet access). And there are still parts of this world where even electricity is rare among the common people.

Yep thats true. You know those internet cafes thingies for tourists? Well, in some countries they aren't for tourists, but for the locals. They can only afford a few hours worth of internet.

Haha, who does that? Sets up a business based off downloaded music? I've never heard of anyone doing that before...

Yes man. I remember when i was a kid in 1998, i was buying FIFA World Cup with 10$, just a copy of it, we had the original ones with about 100$, but the average salary here is 300$ so who can afford for it? people started their own business ever since i believe, dunno how they manage getting those copies cuz the internet wasn't wide spread here back then, but well, they did. Ever since i was a kid, i go to the cd store (all illegal copies of course) and get whatever I want from the catalogue, music, movies, softwares and games by no more than 10$, now I go to the store and get Windows Xp for example for just 1.5$ or even less, I got the whole Opeth discography back in june 05 for less than one dollar, i am ashamed, but what can I do, i hope such bands are forgiven for such fans. Most people have internet access at their homes now, so everyone either downloads stuff or get them from stores. I can always find games/anti-viruses for example for over 70$ but no one buys them, cause they don't have extra money to spend them on that while they can get em for a really lower price, plus they can't afford for it. Therefore, no body ever bothers to start their business by selling original cds. I wanted to do so, selling original metal merchandise, but the metal scene here isn't that big to make a profit from that business, and I even thought about selling random shit music original copies, but its fans aren't interested at all. You know, that's why i can't own any original merchandise, I got just 2 Opeth T-shirt (damnation and watershed) and The Roundhouse tapes DVD as presents from foreign friends and one Comus T-shirt printed by my own !
I've always wanted to be a video games programmer or start my own little company with people who are interested in such thing to make games, but we face the same problem. Computer developers in general are facing the same issue with illegal copies here, and that's too bad coz it prevents the "Tunisians' creativity ", and I know shitloads of people who could have done amazing stuff if there were no illegal copies selling, but they benefited from such illegal tools to have access to technology, but these tools are the same that prevented them to use their creativity.

One thing I've noticed is those "Limited Edition" color vinyls some bands put out. I think that's pretty cool, along with those picture discs. I went to Rasputin Music here in the bay area with my friends, and a lot who've never bought a LP in their life thought how much cooler the album artwork looked on some albums, like "In The Nightside Eclipse". Trust me, if we had the money, we'd definitely be buying albums on vinyl, but with the price being $20 - $25, I stop and think of how I could get double the music on CD. Sure, I'm the only 17 year old around my area with a record player in his room and realize the awesomeness that it beholds, but since no one's hiring, and I find money here and there, I gotta go with the CD.

I could care less if fucking T-Pain had all his songs downloaded by the kids at my school, and I hope that ruins his career, but downloading's just the biggest pet peeve for me... I guess you just gotta grow up listening to music and being next to the stereo to understand what music does. No parent does that with their kids anymore, expose them to the world of music. My brother didn't like music at all, till I showed him Arch Enemy and Opeth. Now he looks online at the shirts he'd love to buy, and that's definitely a good sign!

Also, I gotta ask. Maybe Mike can help out, since he's in the business...

Do bands have to push the record label to put their stuff out on vinyl?

Ah, thanks for the reply Hexwind, Frosties and Stilgar. Another eye-opening experience this thread has brought me. Life isn't so peachy outside of my bubble it seems.

Most third world countries are like that. I know in some countries in South America, the buying-fake-cd's thing is a huge business.

Here in Chile:

40% of the population has internet access
63% of that 40% has internet access at home

Not everybody can connect to TPB, that's why this is a common occurrence in high pedestrian traffic sidewalks, usually near subways:

f028mh01.jpg

I never buyed a rock/metal album.... my discovery of 95% favorite bands now, was via ilegal downloading....
i blame the tax system, that makes more higher the price, the really STUPID television and radio, i really hate them, this medias promote ALL THE FUCKING DAY garbage music like jonas brothers(crappy pop rock), La Noche(cumbia bullshit) or daddy yankee(reggaeton scum) that kill the musical culture of the mases since they are only Kids, is so sad and embarrasing when appear a 15 old year kid or less, saying that jonas brothers a reggaeton "artist" or hanna montana are the Best music ever and heavy metal are music of Mad and satanic people or prog rock alternative rock o post rock are music for crazy schizofrenics. The musical difusion es too poor here, internet save me from that(sound geek but is true) in the neiborghood where i live nobody listen Opeth, just crap music or not-my-type-music.

The musical difusion es too poor here, internet save me from that(sound geek but is true) in the neiborghood where i live nobody listen Opeth, just crap music or not-my-type-music.

That is just wrong, man. I've never seen a bigger concentration of metal heads as I did in Chile - in Coyhaque, every 3rd guy I saw was wearing some death metal tshirt.

Also, Iron Maiden played in Santiago just a few months ago.

You just don't see things in proportion.

I never buyed a rock/metal album.... my discovery of 95% favorite bands now, was via ilegal downloading....
i blame the tax system, that makes more higher the price, the really STUPID television and radio, i really hate them, this medias promote ALL THE FUCKING DAY garbage music like jonas brothers(crappy pop rock), La Noche(cumbia bullshit) or daddy yankee(reggaeton scum) that kill the musical culture of the mases since they are only Kids, is so sad and embarrasing when appear a 15 old year kid or less, saying that jonas brothers a reggaeton "artist" or hanna montana are the Best music ever and heavy metal are music of Mad and satanic people or prog rock alternative rock o post rock are music for crazy schizofrenics. The musical difusion es too poor here, internet save me from that(sound geek but is true) in the neiborghood where i live nobody listen Opeth, just crap music or not-my-type-music.

What??? dude ! I thought Chile was a great metal country, I watched Opeth videos in Chile and omg ! they should film the next dvd out there. Or cause it maybe has a huge population hence there are a variety of interests in music?

we have two big rock/metal radio stations here in Stockholm. never listened to them though.