Mike and Ipods

What??? dude ! I thought Chile was a great metal country, I watched Opeth videos in Chile and omg ! they should film the next dvd out there. Or cause it maybe has a huge population hence there are a variety of interests in music?

Huge population? Eh, 14-16 million people isn't exactly huge :D

You won't find it on the radio or TV, but I believe Chile is a great metal country. I've been a metalhead since the early 90's and there's always been a healthy metal scene... I remember the metal shows in the (now demolished, replaced with an apartment building) Manuel Plaza gym... good times!

Cool story: I was on very good terms with a guy who had to do with the production of the 1996 Morbid Angel concert in Santiago, it was in the same venue Opeth played past April. Word is that their manager asked "Ok, so how many people are we talking about for this gig?". They told him "oh, somewhere between four and five thousand people...". Supposedly the manager said "No, really, how many people?". "Dude, four to five thousand. Maybe six but that isn't as likely as four to five thousand". "Oh, come on, you're fucking with me, it's a joke, right?". "No man, five thousand". "For reals??!?!". "Yup". And when the concert came, you should have seen David Vincent's face when he saw the crowd :OMG:+:heh:. I don't think it was usual for Morbid Angel to play for thousands of completely devoted fans (who sang even the instrumental parts, like in Immortal Rites) as headliner with no opening act :headbang: That show was completely awesome.

I believe the guy who's complaining about the chilean scene is whining because nobody in his neighborhood listens to Opeth and there's no metal in the radio. Well, boo-fucking-hoo. These days there aren't like the early 90's where metalheads would gather every saturday around the two or three metal record stores since everybody gets their shit off the internet nowadays... but I don't think any metal concert producer is losing money.

Here's some chilean metal to wash off the boring out of my post: http://goear.com/listen/df6542a/Crucified-criminal

i think the ipod can make the experience of listening to music much better.
heres an example:
i took a train home a few weeks ago , it was one of the rainiest most gloomy days ive ever seen (wich isent a bad thing), i turned my ipod on , and listened to the album damnation , it was a great ride , the whole time i looked at the rain through the window and listened to opeth, just amazing

I said MAYBE and I don't know almost anything about Chile about the former football player Salas :D

I don't think it was usual for Morbid Angel to play for thousands of completely devoted fans (who sang even the instrumental parts, like in Immortal Rites) as headliner with no opening act :headbang: That show was completely awesome.
It happened in Opeth's gig too which is awesome !
The whole south american spectators are great i guess, just look at music shows there as well as football just WOW !!!

so because you visited there once and a metal band played there recently you have the superior knowledge that allows you to patronise someone for making an observation on his own country?

a) Well, I was in Chile for close to 2 months
b) It's fucking Iron Maiden - they haven't played here ever, even though our metal scene is as alive as anyones.

My point was that he needs perspective. Yes, metal is not and probably will never be mainstream. However, as an alternative scene, it's very healthy and vibrant and (dare I say it???) popular. So he should be proud of it, and possibly lower his expectations of an underground scene such as metal.

As sotua said in his awesome post:
I believe the guy who's complaining about the chilean scene is whining because nobody in his neighborhood listens to Opeth and there's no metal in the radio.

So next time, don't just jump to conclusions...

i think the ipod can make the experience of listening to music much better.
heres an example:
i took a train home a few weeks ago , it was one of the rainiest most gloomy days ive ever seen (wich isent a bad thing), i turned my ipod on , and listened to the album damnation , it was a great ride , the whole time i looked at the rain through the window and listened to opeth, just amazing

I agree 100%.

What??? dude ! I thought Chile was a great metal country, I watched Opeth videos in Chile and omg ! they should film the next dvd out there. Or cause it maybe has a huge population hence there are a variety of interests in music?

Indeed, The chilean crowds of metal and rock are one of the best, Chile have a good metal and rock scene is thanks to the fans who support the concerts, very passional, i will never forget how great was iron maiden, Opeth and Heaven and hell concerts this year, im not saying good music in chile is dead, i was saying the difusion of the medias is too poor only show crap music and that make mases since kids listen to crap music and bash the really best music because is not a Moda.

a)My point was that he needs perspective. Yes, metal is not and probably will never be mainstream. However, as an alternative scene, it's very healthy and vibrant and (dare I say it???) popular. So he should be proud of it, and possibly lower his expectations of an underground scene such as metal.

lol why didnt you just say this instead of 'thats completely wrong.'?

lol why didnt you just say this instead of 'thats completely wrong.'?

Except that what he said was, well, you know... wrong. At least the first part of it is. can't say much about his neighborhood.

And I did end that post with
You just don't see things in proportion.

though I guess I could've elaborated on that, tbut I didn't feel there was any need.

You won't find it on the radio or TV, but I believe Chile is a great metal country. I've been a metalhead since the early 90's and there's always been a healthy metal scene... I remember the metal shows in the (now demolished, replaced with an apartment building) Manuel Plaza gym... good times!

...These days there aren't like the early 90's where metalheads would gather every saturday around the two or three metal record stores since everybody gets their shit off the internet nowadays... but I don't think any metal concert producer is losing money....

well, That pretty much summarizes everyhting i wanted to tell you about Chilean Metal Scene

As far as illegal downloading is concerned, You have to keep in mind that here in chile original discs are EXTREMELY expensive. Consider my old post when I said I paid 45 dollars for my Watershed DVD and I got a reasonable discount. It wouldn't have made any difference if I imported it, for importing costs are also EXTREMELY expensive too.

^ They're not EXTREMELY expensive, compared to prices around the world. It's just that the average income is lower, so it's expensive only for the locals.

From what I've seen...

how much is a regular cd (not a dvd) in chile?

MMmmm... somewhere between 14 and 22 US dollars. More if it's only available in specialized shops (like most metal CDs outside Metallica/Megadeth/IronMaiden/etc).

For perspective, minumum wage is USD 305 (monthly for 45-hour weeks, before taxes). Average is around USD 810 monthly before tax.

well, That pretty much summarizes everyhting i wanted to tell you about Chilean Metal Scene

As far as illegal downloading is concerned, You have to keep in mind that here in chile original discs are EXTREMELY expensive. Consider my old post when I said I paid 45 dollars for my Watershed DVD and I got a reasonable discount. It wouldn't have made any difference if I imported it, for importing costs are also EXTREMELY expensive too.

Same here actually when it comes to the original shit music cds.

MMmmm... somewhere between 14 and 22 US dollars. More if it's only available in specialized shops (like most metal CDs outside Metallica/Megadeth/IronMaiden/etc).

For perspective, minumum wage is USD 305 (monthly for 45-hour weeks, before taxes). Average is around USD 810 monthly before tax.

hm k, thats as much as it costs in sweden. but then we obviously got a much higher average income.

hm k, thats as much as it costs in sweden. but then we obviously got a much higher average income.

That's what kills us, that the CD is more expensive compared to available income. When I was a college student, I lived on something like USD20 a week plus what I made from odd jobs here and there. Blowing the whole week of transportation, meals and booze on a Cd was a serious proposition back then.

And then there's your "obscure" music, which is more expensive. I got charged about USD30 for Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet".

And electronics. Those hurt, because those have higher taxes. I just got a 32" LCD TV (720p, nothing fancy) for around USD600... for 50 bucks less I can get the next-best model of the same manufacturer/line in the US.

Shouldn't those who are responsible for the prices use the same policy as Mac, they sell their products according to the place where they sell. At least, that's what I noticed, you go on the US Shop and prices are way cheaper than any European one !

What constitutes the biggest problem for consumers in Chile, is the HUGE tax rate on Music, books and not-chinese electronics

I wish I still had my old Sony Walkman cassette player. I must have listened to Rush-2112 a thousand times on that thing. It sounded fine. Ipod headphones suck the ass of livestock.