Mike and Ipods

Mikael, thanks for posting. It was very helpful and informative.

I grew up with records. I loved them - still remember playing Dire Straits to death on my record player. However, to me, they require too much in terms of care (dust gathers and all). They also take up quite a bit of storage space. Given perfect conditions, I would still take records, but these perfect conditions are hard to achieve in today's fast-paced world. I generally buy cds. I don't even know where to go to illegally download music, although I have gotten some burned cds from friends (way less than 1% of what I own). I have legally downloaded about 10-15 albums using Itunes gift certificates that I got as gifts.

So, when I travel, commute, or exercise, rather than taking all of my cds with me, I prefer bringing my Ipod along. It really saves a lot of space. At home, I prefer DVD-As for my Porcupine Tree music, but as they are largely unavailable for most artists, I listen to cds on my home stereo system.

I don't even want to think about what the next format may be.

there's nothing more beautyful than a long fuckin shelf full of metal records.

I hated iPods for a long time. My reasoning was simple - it "seemed" too trendy and I "believed" they were purchased as a status symbol.

I held onto (and still have) what I believe is/was the best CD based MP3 player, the Rio Volt. When digital MP3 players 1st hit the market, I was lucky enough to win the 1st mainstream US sold digital MP3 player, the 32mb Diamond Rio PMP300. When I purcahsed a 5gb Zen Micro, it was my own statement purchase to get "the other guy" when I needed more space, and not an iPod. No way was I ever going to own an iPod.

Then I won a 30gb iPod Video from a radio station. I got it, loaded up iTunes, and that was that. It was easy - I synced easily and had my music with me. I've since had the 80gb Video (I use it for my car now), and my most currently used 160gb iPod Video to carry my entire music library, 10 movies, 70 music videos, 3,000 photos, and a handful of games. I also sync it with Outlook.

I love the iPod. I think it sounds great, coupled with my favorite portable earphones, the Future Sonics Atrio's. I also carry around a Monibox-E headphone amp for relaxing and great sounding portable sound.

71% of those who reply to Mikael should lick my ass.
Thread-related : iPod is one of those things that sounds like Facebook. Everyone has one even though it's not so useful or... well whatever their purpose.

^ Going to have to disagree. While Facebook is useless (mostly), iPods are not, and I think its been discussed to death in this thread as to how they are useful.

I mean... you pay for something (unlike Facebook) so therefore they have to be somewhat useful, but for the price...! I don't know. Like I mentionned before in the thread, there are in fact lots of purposes in iPod. The main one people would consider is its popularity and the amount of gadget concerning it. That's a bit deplorable.

Well there are a bunch of MP3 players, but the iPod is the most popular. But unlike most popular products, you don't pay a premium for the Apple name. The iPod is still the best bang for the buck when it comes to portable music players. It has always been that way from day one, which is why they are so popular with every age group.

I won't lie, I downloaded the whole Opeth discography about a year ago, same with In Flames (these are the two bands that I love the most). Shortly after that I bought Watershed, as it was one of my favorite Opeth albums and also the most recent one, so buying it would be the most supportive thing (I guess). I have since slowly tried to collect all the albums from my favourite bands, but progress is slow, as I only have around 10 original metal CD's. I'm 16, have no income and can't just pull 15€ out of my ass. I go and see live shows as often as I can (mostly in a local venue where underground bands play, saw In Flames once and going to see Opeth and Dream Theater later this year) However, having the option of a free download, I refuse to spend money on an album without hearing it in its entirety. I know the problem is the people with the "why spend money when I can get the same thing for free" mentality, but for giving the album a couple spins and then seeing how much you like it, I don't think there's anything wrong with downloading. My stance on it is that I download everything and then slowly fill the virtual library with the real deal. I will buy a lot more music once I will be getting a steady income.

Even though I download music and enjoy all the benefits of downloading, I would prefer if free downloading wouldn't exist at all, because too many people use it in a wrong way. I'd gladly trade my convenience for better conditions for the musicians. I'm doing the best I can, even though it's not much... (hey, having 10 metal albums is still 10 times more than most of my friends who are into the same music :D)

It's also great that Mikael writes on these forums, i'm sure that his humility is a great inspiration to any aspiring musician on here. It also puts things in perspective (I've always thought that touring was a huge money-maker for a band of Opeth's caliber).

Greetings from Slovenia :)

Oh right. I think the only thing that will be better than the iPod will be the Zune HD when it comes out, that thing is a beauty.

ive had a 30gb ipod video and a 20gb iriver h10 and the iriver killed it by comparison. i put rockbox on it to play videos but even without it, the controls were so easy, i never once had a problem with it and its so sturdy i still use it now when i purchased it in 2005, over the ipod. ive taken it everywhere, camping, through the desert, all around europe for 6 weeks and mistreated the thing something shocking. but it still works a treat.

pretty much all my friends with ipods have had huge problems with them breaking down and i know like one person who owned an ipod for longer than a year cuz well the rest of them broke. ive owned my own creative for like three years and it still works great, the only problem ive had was solved by updating the firmware.

however, now that spotify is coming for iphone i dunno what ill do. its still way too expensive, though.

ive had a 30gb ipod video and a 20gb iriver h10 and the iriver killed it by comparison. i put rockbox on it to play videos but even without it, the controls were so easy, i never once had a problem with it and its so sturdy i still use it now when i purchased it in 2005, over the ipod. ive taken it everywhere, camping, through the desert, all around europe for 6 weeks and mistreated the thing something shocking. but it still works a treat.

I had the Iriver h320 (I think it's the one that came out before your one) and feature wise, it destroyed the Ipod. I had it 3 years ago, and the Ipod still doesn't have some of the features it had. Also, it was without iTunes and it was much easier to handle. The only problem (though it was a huge one) was that it was constantly not functioning properly (hard drive got busted, I could only hear from one earphone etc, etc), and that's after I sent it to be repaired once.
BUT, I have heard that the newer ones are way more reliable than the one I had (as your post proves). The only reason I ended up finally going with an Ipod is because I wanted as much space as possible, and nothing even comes close to 160gb.

pretty much all my friends with ipods have had huge problems with them breaking down and i know like one person who owned an ipod for longer than a year cuz well the rest of them broke. ive owned my own creative for like three years and it still works great, the only problem ive had was solved by updating the firmware.

however, now that spotify is coming for iphone i dunno what ill do. its still way too expensive, though.

I owned 3 iPods (bought the first one when iPods first were released, and they all work as good as the day I bought them, never had a problem with any of them.
had to upgrade them cause I wanted more memory, my current one is a 120 GB, which I'm quite satisfied with.

I had my first ipod (15GB 3rd Gen) for 4 years, and it still worked perfectly when it got stolen last year and I bought a new one (80GB 5th Gen Video).