Mike and Ipods

Hey sport sorry the sequel to Death Magnetic isn't out yet but this year has some pretty good shit and he makes a good point too.

Man, if that's not a "holier than thou" attitude..... don't you have anything else to worry about than who is getting free music? I pay for ALL my music, EVERY SINGLE PIECE that I have I have paid for.... but that is my choice... I couldn't care less who gets it for free. That is their concern. I like having the actual cd, artwork, case, liner notes, etc.

I have so many other things to worry about, lol.

So why post in the first place? Strange. I too have many other things to worry about, but it just so happens we're talking about downloading and I offered my opinions. That's what a forum is for. Besides, why would I not worry about what happens to the music industry?

I simply think that artists deserve to get paid for the music they produce by the leaches who download it for free. If everyone downloaded for free, that would have quite an impact, wouldn't it? Did you read what Mikael said?

I think the downloading thing is more critical among your regular mainstream pop/charts listeners. they generally don't care much about having the original CD or not. they just download or get the mp3s or copied CD from their friends and that's it. a lot of my friends are this way. it's really rare that someone buys original CDs on a regular basis.

now, with the people around here on UM for example, it's completely different. we're all more or less enthusiasts. everyone downloads some stuff for pre-listening, but in the end you'll buy the albums. sure, I've seen guys with like 2 terabytes of mp3s, but that seems more like a (pointless) collecting thing. they never would have bough that much stuff anyways.

well.. what about me and people who have similar situations, there are no stores available to buy whatever merchandise to support my favorite bands. We can't even order anything from the net (for "security purposes" here :erk:). How the hell can I "save" my hobby by saving my bands. Downloading is the only access to enjoy, appreciate and share the awesomeness of this art that Opeth and other bands are doing. I would definetly buy original copies of cds and T-shirts for the sake of helping my fav bands ! But I just can't. Sorry Mike (and other bands) for that ! but it's out of my hands. :erk:

Exactly hexwind, thats a good point and maybe you and i could give a perspective of a Third world music lovers... I thought some of the posters were too concerned with stating how things should be for everyone, while personal story would have been more appropriate perhaps.

Im a huge illegal downloader, and even the CDs i bought, 99% of it (its not a rough percentage but real data:)) is pirate CDs. There are no proper laws and means to buy and sell original CDs here. I absolutely share the sentiment that music is not too expensive, in a symbolical way, one could say it is priceless, but in harsh reality of undeveloped country coming in a record store with original CDs (like we have one in Bosnia, especially with Opeth records, lol) and seeing a cd with a price of 17 EUROs or whatever... I have no job, no personal income, no credit card, nothing - even though i studied my ass off - i live off my parents shaky earnings, and my country lives of hopes IMF will allow us to be their debt slaves for decades to come. All i have is a cheesy PC and can afford the internet connection, so pretty much my only salvation is to steal music and enjoy it that way. I love music, it means life to me, not long ago i realized that Opeth's music in particular is like my own personal answer to everything, in a state where im definitely lacking any sense of purpose, in my personal life, in my country's fate and even in some philosophical sentiment about "where the world is going"... So what can i do, i download it, everyone does here. I dont really feel guilty for stealing cause theres nothing i can do about it, but i regret how it is, i wish i could buy the music... In a way i expect the guys to "understand" and "forgive" me ripping them off. I once managed to go to Opeth concert and there i bought some merch, thats all i could do to support the band. But generally i just start up soulseek or whatever and download.

On a different note, i think "download and be responsible to buy it if you find yourself listening repeatedly to it" is fair enough approach. Even if rich and living in USA or whatever, i would still prefer the option to download and get a listen, ill never download a whole album anyway just a song or two to get a taste of what the band is like - it allows for better dynamic of checking stuff out and discovering new bands (theres a black metal scene blooming in France: how else would i know that if it wasnt for internet?). But it is of vital importance to be aware and buy/support the bands you like as much as one can; i think only that attitude can save independent and art music making.

I had no idea things are that fucking bad even for Opeth though. I remember hearing a Mike's joke on some bootleg, he introduced BWP and said that the song is from the record that "made us all millionaires", and the crowd laughed, but honeslty i thought it was at least a half-joke, half-truth, i thought that record allowed Opeth financial stability, and i really thought Mike at least has like a million or two of his own money in reserve. I had no idea having such extensive tours with good ticket sales is just about enough to put you to zero. That is eye opening info for me.

I was gonna write about how downloading can turn "discovering a band" experience into something that i feel is much more exciting and mystical than "touching the artwork, having the lyrics sheet in hands", cause the way im discovering Opeth's or Katatonia's music is bizarre to say the least, and i could come up with the idea only through downloading, but maybe some other time, gotta keep this short...

So why post in the first place? Strange. I too have many other things to worry about, but it just so happens we're talking about downloading and I offered my opinions. That's what a forum is for. Besides, why would I not worry about what happens to the music industry?

I simply think that artists deserve to get paid for the music they produce by the leaches who download it for free. If everyone downloaded for free, that would have quite an impact, wouldn't it? Did you read what Mikael said?

If you aren't a musician who is at risk, then you have no business ridiculing and chastising people. That is NOT simply offering your opinion; that's being a jackass. I also believe they should get paid. But it is certainly not my place to be an ass to people who think otherwise.

Sorry, but you sort of remind me of those people at work who have to quote every policy and run to the boss everytime someone is doing something that doesn't even affect them.

I absolutely share the sentiment that music is not too expensive, in a symbolical way, one could say it is priceless, but in harsh reality of undeveloped country coming in a record store with original CDs (like we have one in Bosnia, especially with Opeth records, lol) and seeing a cd with a price of 17 EUROs or whatever... I have no job, no personal income, no credit card, nothing
Yeah that's true. We have stores that sell some original Cds but all of are mainstream shit music (arabic mostly) and they are not worth the money lol. I remember when i was about 6 or 7, I was a huge fan of M.Jackson, I was buying his original cds even tho they were expensive as fuck back then.
Another thing is, most people, if not all, here can't afford for buying original cds (doesn't necessarily have to be music) among their main needs because of their salaries. For example, operating systems and softwares, who the hell could buy an anti-virus for example for $150 while their monthly salary is just $700 !! So these local financial problems really disable people to support music, or anything else even if they want to.

On a different note, i think "download and be responsible to buy it if you find yourself listening repeatedly to it" is fair enough approach. Even if rich and living in USA or whatever, i would still prefer the option to download and get a listen, ill never download a whole album anyway just a song or two to get a taste of what the band is like - it allows for better dynamic of checking stuff out and discovering new bands (theres a black metal scene blooming in France: how else would i know that if it wasnt for internet?).
But there are other alternatives to check out albums/bands before buying the record in a legal way like Myspace and LastFm.

I was gonna write about how downloading can turn "discovering a band" experience into something that i feel is much more exciting and mystical than "touching the artwork, having the lyrics sheet in hands", cause the way im discovering Opeth's or Katatonia's music is bizarre to say the least, and i could come up with the idea only through downloading, but maybe some other time, gotta keep this short...

I actually prefer having the original lyrics sheet and booklet rather than reading unofficial lyrics on Darklyrics.com :p I have the roundhouse tapes original dvd as a present from a friend, and it's just fucking class !!!! I just enjoy looking at the original print on the DvD :rofl:

If you aren't a musician who is at risk, then you have no business ridiculing and chastising people. That is NOT simply offering your opinion; that's being a jackass. I also believe they should get paid. But it is certainly not my place to be an ass to people who think otherwise.

Sorry, but you sort of remind me of those people at work who have to quote every policy and run to the boss everytime someone is doing something that doesn't even affect them.

There is only one person being a jackass here, and it isn't me.

I have every right to say what I think on this issue, and if you think I'm being an ass to people, tough shit. I don't want to see decent bands dissapear because they can no longer afford to operate, so just because I'm not a musician it doesn't mean I won't say my piece, so you best deal with it. Why should I worry about offending some people who clearly couldn't give a toss about musicians and care only about themselves and their expanding MP3 collection?

You're being ridiculous. So anyone who isn't in the same profession as you warrents no sympathy or concern when they don't get paid despite doing their job?

It DOES affect you. Or at least, it will. Did you read Mikael's posts? If it continues then the artists you currently steal from won't be able to release music anymore. When there's nothing left to steal maybe you'll see how selfish your stance was.

You're being ridiculous. So anyone who isn't in the same profession as you warrents no sympathy or concern when they don't get paid despite doing their job?

It DOES affect you. Or at least, it will. Did you read Mikael's posts? If it continues then the artists you currently steal from won't be able to release music anymore. When there's nothing left to steal maybe you'll see how selfish your stance was.

To be fair to Lethe78, he claims not to download. But you're right, he doesn't seem to understand the very simple reasons why we or anybody else who likes music and respects musicians should be against illegal downloading.

Lol. My stance is certainly not selfish by any means. I pay for my music. Simple as that. My whole point was; ok.. you disagree with the other dude's point of view... it is not necessary to berate him due to the fact that you disagree. That's it. As I said, I believe that the author should be paid for their work. I paid 8 dollars for Radiohead - In Rainbows d/l when I could have paid nothing.

But it isn't my problem is someone feels otherwise. Do you care if I get paid for doing my job? Nope. And that is cool. I don't care if you get paid for your work either. But if you work for me, you are going to get paid. Again... how am I being selfish?

I can't be bothered to berate other people who chose not to pay you. That's your concern. Not mine. To be blunt.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8436468 said:
I think Opeth are doing quite well in comparison to some other bands. At least we do make a living from the music, even though it's quite poor sometimes. I wouldn't trade it for anything else either way. I just wanted to set an example on how it really is to be a metal, or even extreme metal band today. It's not all that easy.

Ultimately, if no-one's buying the records, or going to our shows, it's basically over. So far, record sales are alright and shows are well attended and I'm quite happy with how things are working out for us.

Whatever happens I'll always write songs...

Im pretty sure if/when you guys come back to Australia for a tour you will sell out.

You can really feel An Opeth prescence down under these days, and its like a "if you havent heard opeth your a n00b" thing goin on, If you know what i mean.

So come back soon Mike!