Mike and Ipods

Well, I just find my Walkman and WMP much easier to use than my daughter's iPod and iTunes. I'm not exactly a computer genius. I just like being able to drag in files and hitting the sync button. WMP does everything else for me, thinking included.

Have you ever used a Walkman?

It's not the ipod Steven discourages...it's the people that don't fully digest any of their music. The ipod is good symbolism of this because of the "Ipod Shuffle" and the robot-like mentality that results from this. Also related to that, it symbolizes the download culture, where full cds (or even just single songs) are downloaded to just be background music and not fully enjoyed. It's more of a fashion statement/youth rite of passage to listen to certain stuff nowadays.

The ipod is a fantastic thing, and anyone who appreciates music could see that. You could walk around with millions of songs in your pocket for god sakes. Imagine telling people about that in the 70's! The problem, and one where Steven seems very outspoken about, is the new generation of kids who are soulless (for lack of a better term). If you are in an Opeth forum, I suspect you have nothing to worry about.

I don't think someone who uses pitch-shifting devices on his vocals in the studio to make them sound like he can sing is in a position to criticize portable music devices for being artificial.

Well, I just find my Walkman and WMP much easier to use than my daughter's iPod and iTunes. I'm not exactly a computer genius. I just like being able to drag in files and hitting the sync button. WMP does everything else for me, thinking included.

Have you ever used a Walkman?
You dislike iTunes on the basis it is difficult to use? :erk:

WMP is a horrible, clunky program, and its internet music database was entered by retarded monkeys.

Never understood anyone's problem with iTunes. Does the job required of it just fine, and no, it doesn't require a genius to use it.

fuck mp3-players. why not use the cell-phone instead? much more practical.

Because it's not everyone that needs a cellphone and wants to pay for it. Useless to have a cellphone if you're not paying to be able to call with it. I'm a bit against cellphones to be honest (I mean, personally) but I don't care so much about others. People that show no respect will find a way to do it no matter what's given to them, cellphone or not.

Yeah..And....and...Ipods are so thin and light and classy, and you can take them anywhere...why do you hate them???

I don't think someone who uses pitch-shifting devices on his vocals in the studio to make them sound like he can sing is in a position to criticize portable music devices for being artificial.

Not only did you completely miss the point on what I said (Music device being artificial? what?), but you also dissed Steven! I'm not quite sure how much you could have failed at that post. If you have been to any live PT shows, which obviously you haven't, you would know Steven can sing perfectly well. Adjusting things in the studio is well, THE ENTIRE POINT OF USING A STUDIO. I agree that some people take it to far and have no talent, but Steven I'm afraid does not fall into that category on any level.

Yes I am a Steven fanboy.

That's just it... I usually had no less than 50 cd's in my car... jewel cases and all (seperation is blasphemous). I would constantly bring more out, but never any back into the house... Once a month or so, I would start over... but it was obnoxious.

And that shit gets stolen :(

Steven doesn't hate them symbolically at all; he hates them literally. He thinks they destroy the process of listening to an album. He also hates them because mp3 format greatly degrades the quality of the music, even at 320 kbps. Mike mentioned it in one of the interviews on face culture where he talks about how he first heard the zombies.

I have an 120gb ipod. I love my ipod. I don't care if it "destroys the process of listening to an album". I still love my ipod.

Because it's not everyone that needs a cellphone and wants to pay for it. Useless to have a cellphone if you're not paying to be able to call with it. I'm a bit against cellphones to be honest (I mean, personally) but I don't care so much about others. People that show no respect will find a way to do it no matter what's given to them, cellphone or not.

I was of course referring to people who use cellphones, not that people who don't should buy a cellphone just to listen to music, that's just stupid :erk:

also mp3 players got better sound and dont need an adapter for the headphones.

my cell has both good sound and you can use any headset you like with it or even with a computer's loudspeakers

Steven doesn't hate them symbolically at all; he hates them literally. He thinks they destroy the process of listening to an album.
How so? I only ever copy full albums across (unless I've created a compilation in a playlist, which is rare), so I listen to full albums as I would with a CD on my Hi-Fi at home.

With regards to sound quality, it really isn't an issue for me, as I mostly listen to my iPod in the car. Cars aren't exactly renowned for their theatre-like acoustics, so an iPod is indistinguishable from a CD in that particular environment.

How so? I only ever copy full albums across (unless I've created a compilation in a playlist, which is rare), so I listen to full albums as I would with a CD on my Hi-Fi at home.

With regards to sound quality, it really isn't an issue for me, as I mostly listen to my iPod in the car. Cars aren't exactly renowned for their theatre-like acoustics, so an iPod is indistinguishable from a CD in that particular environment.

Because your not really listening to the music. Your driving. The music is simply in the background and if its not your not a very good driver.