Votes: 19 43.2%
  • 1. Mills

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • 2. Mesa

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • 2. Mills

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
Cool, I guessed it right then and more importantly I'm not the only one who prefers 1. I agree with Guitarhack that it's one of your best tones and I'd also love to hear some comparisons with 4 V30s in the Mills.

I'm thinking about going for 4 v30's or 4 g12k100s in the mills. I just need to find someone to trade with.

I honestly don't want 3 cabs with v30s in em. They sound good, but I dunno.

Cool, glad I got this one right. Guess the mids in the Mesa are just too familiar to forget now.

As others had said though, slight mic placement or setting changes and you could probably pull even closer sounds out of both cabs, depending on what sound you're going for.

Yep. I agree. Check out my new amp yet?

Not to derail this thread, but do you mean the clip with the new Morgray DI's, in his thread? Was the Mid-Cut engaged on that? It seems to lack a little body. Hard to tell without it being in a mix though. You should reamp the DI's from this thread with the new amp so we can compare it to the 5150, with the Mesa Cab.

Cool, glad I got this one right. Guess the mids in the Mesa are just too familiar to forget now.

As others had said though, slight mic placement or setting changes and you could probably pull even closer sounds out of both cabs, depending on what sound you're going for.

I think with these clips, for the Mills cab, a slight drop in mids and a slight boost in treble (just adjusted on the amp) with same exact mic placement would have made it almost identical to the Mesa. I don't really see the point in directly comparing with exact same settings and mic placement. It could go either way depending on which is setup to sound its best.

I'm thinking about going for 4 v30's or 4 g12k100s in the mills. I just need to find someone to trade with.

I honestly don't want 3 cabs with v30s in em. They sound good, but I dunno.

I meant sticking 4 v30s in the Mills just for the shootout's sake, I totally understand why you would'nt want 3 cabs with v30s. Don't feel obliged to do it, though. I'm very grateful for the comparisons you've done already. Cheers :headbang:

^ I've always been wondering about this, since there was someone who said pretty much the only difference is in the label.

The word is that the V30s that are installed in Mesa's Standard 4x12 are voiced slightly darker than regular run-of-the-mill V30s. Again, that's just the word though. I have never seen anything 100% confirming this from Mesa or Celestion.

I am pretty sure that back in the day the Mesa "Black Shadow" V30's used to actually be special. But now they are supposedly just rebranded regular v30's. I think the only special speaker that Mesa has made for them is the MC90. I suppose a call to Mesa would clear it all up, I don't think the v30s are special though, Mesa brands all of their speakers with the "Black Shadow" label.

The word is that the V30s that are installed in Mesa's Standard 4x12 are voiced slightly darker than regular run-of-the-mill V30s. Again, that's just the word though. I have never seen anything 100% confirming this from Mesa or Celestion.

Nope, other way around - Marshall V30's are darker, Mesa V30's are brighter. Both also have a 70w power handling, while the 'standard' V30 is only 60W.

I am pretty sure that back in the day the Mesa "Black Shadow" V30's used to actually be special. But now they are supposedly just rebranded regular v30's. I think the only special speaker that Mesa has made for them is the MC90. I suppose a call to Mesa would clear it all up, I don't think the v30s are special though, Mesa brands all of their speakers with the "Black Shadow" label.

Also wrong, the Black Shadow has ALWAYS been the C90.