Votes: 19 43.2%
  • 1. Mills

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • 2. Mesa

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • 2. Mills

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
Nah, they're often labeled 280w - and yeah, Black Shadows are actually based on the Celestion CL80, a very different (and inferior IMO) sounding speaker than the V30

280WBITCH.jpg

no. WRONG.

Mesa labels all of their speakers with the Black Shadow label. I thought the v30s too, but I guess that is the only exception.

They changed the speakers whenever they stopped producing the v30's in England or something like that. Supposedly they were 70w, then changed to 60w.

But this says it was a misprint.. Post 3 & 4: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35987

Dude, what are you talking about? Both of my Mesa cabs have had the V30's labeled with the standard V30 label (as I've owned two other cabs by different manufacturers with V30s), and the only other speaker Mesa uses as far as I know is the Black Shadow, AKA MC90 - if that were also a V30, why would they bother relabeling it? And furthermore, in post 3 he means he couldn't tell a difference between the original V30s in the cab and the ones he later bought to replace the MC90s which he said he had grown tired of (thus implying that they sounded different from the V30s, possibly because they're totally different speakers :loco: ) Furthermore, I've heard clips of Black Shadows that sound completely different from V30s, and have read so many reliable places that they're based on the CL80...

MC90's dont sound like V30's thats just fact. However im sure there is something going on with this "Black Shadow" shizzle, when I researched my last cab I saw people saying Mesa called all the early speakers they had "Black Shadows" but these days the Black Shadow now refers to the MC90.

no. WRONG.

Mesa labels all of their speakers with the Black Shadow label. I thought the v30s too, but I guess that is the only exception.

They changed the speakers whenever they stopped producing the v30's in England or something like that. Supposedly they were 70w, then changed to 60w.

But this says it was a misprint.. Post 3 & 4: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35987

Simply not true... I've opened up all of my Mesa cabs (I've had 4), and they were either Black Shadow C90's, or Celestion V30's with 70W power handling.

And they didn't change the speakers when they started producing in China vs England - they shipped all the old machines they had over to China and bought new ones for the English factory, so if anything, the new Chinese ones are more like the older ones.

MC90's dont sound like V30's thats just fact. However im sure there is something going on with this "Black Shadow" shizzle, when I researched my last cab I saw people saying Mesa called all the early speakers they had "Black Shadows" but these days the Black Shadow now refers to the MC90.

That's just because Electro Voice (EV) used to make speakers for Mesa that they called Black Shadows, before Celestion inherited the title for their replacement some time in the early 90s

Nope, other way around - Marshall V30's are darker, Mesa V30's are brighter. Both also have a 70w power handling, while the 'standard' V30 is only 60W.

Dayum... this whole time. I lose 1,000 internets. :(

Fuck I was talking about the new v30's vs the old.

I know the C90 and V30 aren't the same, I have a mother fucking C90 in my Mark IV and it sounds like fucking cow shit being flung at your face.

I said I THOUGHT they branded the v30s with black shadow, BACK IN THE DAY, just like the EVM12L which they don't use anymore. but I said I guess the v30s are an exception. aka... I WAS WRONG.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=maw1fq&s=4

Not C90.

But Metaltastic is right about the label change from 12L to C90. Too bad because the 12L crushes the C90. Got confused and just assumed they put that label on all their speakers.

I would like to make a comment about A Vs B comparison tests
in general.
When producing a A Vs B comparison of two things I wish
people on this forum could produce A as excellently as they
possibly can and produce B as excellently as they possibly can
so that we are not comparing one well produced alternative to
a poorly produced alternative.

This comment actually dosen't apply to lolzgreg's clips because
they are both well produced but my point is that I think that there
was no need to use the same mic position or amp settings when
comparing two Cab's.

This comment actually dosen't apply to lolzgreg's clips because
they are both well produced but my point is that I think that there
was no need to use the same mic position or amp settings when
comparing two Cab's.

The whole point of an A/B test is to show the difference between the two sources in the exact same application. If someone wants to know the characteristics of a Mills Cab vs a Mesa Cab in this context, they need to know how the microphone was placed, tones were set, etc, and I need be consistent throughout the process.

The Mills is a more complex sounding cab to me. More clips to follow in the near future.

I think there is a bit of a problem with A/B tests, not because of the test itself but how people interpret them.

I could set my amp up with really scooped mids and A/B through a mediocre mid heavy cab (A) and a really nice scooped sounding cab (B), everyone would go "oh i like A better, i always thought B was far too scooped sounding" when actually anything you do with A sucks ASS compared to B with an appropriately set up amp

I think there is a bit of a problem with A/B tests, not because of the test itself but how people interpret them.

I could set my amp up with really scooped mids and A/B through a mediocre mid heavy cab (A) and a really nice scooped sounding cab (B), everyone would go "oh i like A better, i always thought B was far too scooped sounding" when actually anything you do with A sucks ASS compared to B with an appropriately set up amp

I understand this completely. I was just trying to see if people could identify between them! Which tone is best, is a different story. As usual, more clips to follow!

any chance of reposting the originals clips? Would love to hear the mesa vs mills comparison. thanks!