Miss May I - Monument

...Says the person who started the whole "TACT" phenomenon? Haha ;)

hahahahahahahahaahahah.:D i´m from Spain. it was an error...haha

i think i´m only asking for tips, nothing more...
i´m making my own guitar tones, long time without asking for presets...

it is easy to remember the tact thing, easy joke...haha, now, i´m asking for normal info like you ask in another threads, nothing more...

hahahahahahahahaahahah.:D i´m from Spain. it was an error...haha

i think i´m only asking for tips, nothing more...
i´m making my own guitar tones, long time without asking for presets...

it is easy to remember the tact thing, easy joke...haha, now, i´m asking for normal info like you ask in another threads, nothing more...

I must say, I'm glad you posted that TACT thread. Now I label any good tone I save on my ampsims TACT1 or deathcoreTACT. Haha.

Or, "wow, this mix has so much tact!"

I think we should add it to the american language.

I am more curious on how you work around effects on guitars.

Im pretty sure you like to print as you track, so does that mean you find the effect you want, print, then delete effect out of podfarm and then continue tracking?
or do you go back through and add effects, reprint, ect ect,
or do you just bake the effects into the printed track?

just saying because I never know how to do this, my first reaction is to open up more Pod/guitar tracks and then I have 8 guitar tracks because of the different effects and then my CPU is like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hey Joey,

do you mind sharing what drum kit was used on this album...

i.e. truth black and gold or the slate kit combination...

thanks

oh and again if you could could you specifically state the limiter used on the guitars L1, L2, L3?

thanks again

I'm willing to bet that it wasnt a limiter in the true sense of things.... but a harmonic saturation type plug. Which ends up being like a limiter because of the way it works the sound.

like the Fatso Jr or Vintage Warmer

but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I like to run the gtr track out and run it through the GR ME1-NV. It kinda limits the audio and brings the mid forward a little.
But i dont really do this very much because it takes time and doesnt work for all styles. But the Fatso Jr does the same thing pretty much with the Harmonic Generation setting.

Hey Joey,

do you mind sharing what drum kit was used on this album...

i.e. truth black and gold or the slate kit combination...

thanks

oh and again if you could could you specifically state the limiter used on the guitars L1, L2, L3?

thanks again

You serious?
Dude, read any of his MMI Monument threads. It's samples of the drummers kit, except for the kick which is just Kick10 from Slate. He has this kit for sale (snare + toms).

I'm willing to bet that it wasnt a limiter in the true sense of things.... but a harmonic saturation type plug. Which ends up being like a limiter because of the way it works the sound.

like the Fatso Jr or Vintage Warmer

but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I like to run the gtr track out and run it through the GR ME1-NV. It kinda limits the audio and brings the mid forward a little.
But i dont really do this very much because it takes time and doesnt work for all styles. But the Fatso Jr does the same thing pretty much with the Harmonic Generation setting.

Totally I was actually thinking that after I posted the question the second time... its probably the "PSP" vintage warmer... that things an animal...

But thanks...

You serious?
Dude, read any of his MMI Monument threads. It's samples of the drummers kit, except for the kick which is just Kick10 from Slate. He has this kit for sale (snare + toms).

My bad.. probably should have done a search... on the kit... thanks for insight anyways..

im really loving the drums on this album, and im pretty sure you recorded everything live and there was no replacement. am i right?

if so, would you mind going into the whole process you used briefly? or can someone direct me somewhere where i can read up on some really good metal drum recording techniques? anything like modern metal or core music thats 100% real and live. im wanting to get away from triggering and sampling. thanks!

I can almost guarantee the drums are completely sample replaced. At the very least, they're blended with the close mic signals. However, I'm pretty sure the samples used were from the drummer's kit. The only exception is probably the kick drum.. Which is more than likely Slate. If you go to Joey's website, I believe Snare 1 and the Detuned series toms are the samples Joey took from Jerod's kit when this album was being recorded.

I remember seeing a studio video by miss may i in wich they counted the drum mics (12). So I believe it's samples blended in with real drums. Althogh I remember hearing that the snare was fully replaced. But that might be their older album.

I heard that their first album was completely programmed.
But anyway, yea, it's replaced with the drummer's samples. You can see the triggers in the pictures. And the Kick is most definitely Slate 10.

thanks for the replies guys! anyone know where i can read up on good techniques for recording these type of drums completely live? no triggered/replacement. i find it really impressive when i hear stuff where its all real and still sounds this badass, wish i could find some material to read up on anything like it :p

It requires a great player, a great kit, great tuning, and great ears. If you don't have all 4 of those, you'll more than likely need to sample replace.

and a great room, great mics and great pre's

Yes, but all those are only just beneficial, not necessarily required. Joey uses his den to record drums, and tons of guys on here get great sounds in bedrooms. Many great albums were cut with 57's on most of the drums, and I don't think pre's make that great of a difference, but that's an argument I'm not getting into :lol: