MIXING TIME, SONG2: DI and Midi inside.

The mp3 from the post above was with the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp.

This time I reamped the di-files trough my Engl E530.
Same impulses, same mix.
I eq'd the Engl tracks so they were identical in terms of lows, mids and highs.

It surprised me that the sound seems to be almost identical, so the sound is mostly Ola's fingers and guitar.

Goddamn Engl E530

Just bought a Ibanez V8 pickup, will be in the mail this friday.:lol:

I'm working on a band's mix.
Saved the template/mix (from my Goddamn mp3) and swapped Ola's files with the band's files. That's also midi and clean DI files from guitar and bassguitar. Reamped the guitars through the exact same Mesa+impulses setup+eq/plugins

The guitarplayers are very sloppy and the guitarsound came out very different. No growling of the guitars, no deep lowend reverb breathing, just a flat sound.:erk:

Sound is in the fingers (and wood/strings/pickup).

right... first off thank you goddamn for posting something like this. Im not the greatest metal mixer so this is something ive really been learning from, if you check my previous mix posts in this thead they sound so fucking weak :lol:. I've got this as far as i personally am able to, and it came out like

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3066902/sneap 67.mp3

But i have learnt so much just from practising on this track, so thanks

edit: the solo made me actually feel proud, the first time i have ever felt that way about a mix :lol:

The mp3 from the post above was with the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp.

This time I reamped the di-files trough my Engl E530.
Same impulses, same mix.
I eq'd the Engl tracks so they were identical in terms of lows, mids and highs.

It surprised me that the sound seems to be almost identical, so the sound is mostly Ola's fingers and guitar.

Goddamn Engl E530

this one....

Fucking Huge! ENGL For life!

Let me say how I fucking dig this, Ola :worship:

I've already seen those Harley Benton cabs a couple of times. I´m confused, cause I thought this brand is crap...obviously NOT, as I hear! Is this an insider tip that I've missed?

Thanks dude, some people think they're crap, but I've used it for all my recordings and some pro reampings. I think the general hate for harley benton is that they're to cheap. But I like mine :)

Hi Ola,

Earlier on in this thread you said that your MTM-2 guitar was fitted
with stock V8 ( passive ) pickups, is that correct because it looks
like active pickups in the video, or have I misunderstood something ?

Thanks dude, some people think they're crap, but I've used it for all my recordings and some pro reampings. I think the general hate for harley benton is that they're to cheap. But I like mine :)

When I listen to this, hate isn´t appropriate at all :) I payed a fortune for my rectifier 4x12, but this harley cab doesn´t even need to fear the comparison (superficially). Irrespective of that, I´m really diggin´this Engl sound and I am seriously consider rethinking my plans buying a Mesa amp.

When I listen to this, hate isn´t appropriate at all :) I payed a fortune for my rectifier 4x12, but this harley cab doesn´t even need to fear the comparison (superficially). Irrespective of that, I´m really diggin´this Engl sound and I am seriously consider rethinking my plans buying a Mesa amp.

Mesas are awesome but I tend to play more on my savage. Just suits my playing just beautiful. I would say get a savage!

Wow, this thread is mega popular. Congrats Ola :lol:

The Harley Benton is cool. It's good for pulling tones at lower levels. I can't get a decent recording tone out of the Oversize 4x12 at the same volume. However in the room the Oversize smokes it a fair bit. A fair bit more gentle sounding, with the bass resonance lower, in a more mix-usable region. As cool as the Benton is for jamming and playing around, I'm not sure I'd use it on a pro recording again.

For the price though, let me state, it is amazing. Total value. Pair this with a Bugera and you're in budget tone heaven that 10 years ago you could only dream of.