Modern Classics

Arghoslent - Incorrigible Bigotry
Lykaethea Aflame - Elvenefris
Silencer - Death Pierce Me
Warning - Watching from a Distance
Wintersun - S/T

Don't enjoy any of those fwiw.

Also Meshuggah - Destory Erase Improve.

1995, but I think Nothing counts for the purposes of this thread.

EDIT: Oh, and for something that isn't shit

Hammers of Misfortune - could see an argument for The Bastard and The August Engine

And while Hibria seemed to lose all the momentum they created with Defying the Rules, it's still a very popular album to bandy about in power metal circles.

In Flames- Clayman
Devin Townsend- Terria
Summoning- Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
Deftones- White Pony
Mastodon- Remission, Leviathan
Opeth- D&D
Maudlin the Well- Bath & Leaving Your Body Map

Silencer - Death Pierce Me

Might I ask why you picked this particular album from among dozens of other highly regarded BM albums that have been released since 2000? You admit you don't like it, and this album gets a lot of hate, although a few praise it. I'm curious as to what influenced you here?

Might I ask why you picked this particular album from among dozens of other highly regarded BM albums that have been released since 2000? You admit you don't like it, and this album gets a lot of hate, although a few praise it. I'm curious as to what influenced you here?

The amount of times I've heard others praise it, its general notoriety, and because it hasn't been been mentioned yet in this thread. 20 reviews and 80% on Metal-Archives makes me fairly confident that the hate it receives isn't outweighed by the number of people that consider it to be a "classic". That may be different on this forum.

From the past 5 years or so:

Beherit- Engram
Dead Congregation- Graves of the Archangels
Portal- Outre, Swarth
Averse Sefira- Advent Parallax
The Chasm- Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
Ares Kingdom- Incendiary
Darkspace- III
Revelation- Release
Teitanblood- Seven Chalices
Inquisition- Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
Profanatica- Disgusting Blasphemies Against God
Procession- Destroyers of the Faith (borderline)
Autopsy- Macabre Eternal
Mitochondrion- Parasignosis

I'm probably missing a few, but each of the above managed to make something of substance by working with the framework established by the classics of the genre and bring something new to the table.

I definitely agree with all of these

I'd like to add
Negura Bunget - Om
Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae
Sorcier Des Glaces - Moonrise in Total Darkness

Immolation - Close To A World Below
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Dissection - Reinkaos
King Diamond - The Puppet Master
Deceased - Supernatural Addiction
Pagan Altar - Lord of Hypocrisy
Grand Belial's Key - Judeobeast Assassination
In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil.
Heven & Hell - The Devil You Know

I agree with Om, Prowler In The Yard, Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm, Death Pierce Me, Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame, Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and getting rid of Nightwish...

Ones id add:
Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics (Sorry better than Dopethrone)

Oh, and ofcourse:
Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope

When I said modern classics, I meant albums that were released from 2000 to 2003, as I think 10 years is adequate time to consider something "classic." No doubt that Dead Congregation, Beherit, and the like will be classics, they just aren't at the level yet.

I don't really like DSO, but I can see honoring that album as a modern classic. And as much as I love "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame," I don't think it's quite good enough to be considered in my list.

Primordial's "Spirith the Earth Aflame" would definitely be on my list.

Also, what in the absolute fuck is wrong with everyone (including me) for forgetting Absu - Tara?

When I said modern classics, I meant albums that were released from 2000 to 2003, as I think 10 years is adequate time to consider something "classic." No doubt that Dead Congregation, Beherit, and the like will be classics, they just aren't at the level yet.

It's really just a case of semantics, but when I use "classic", I'm referring to something that will continually stand the test of time and always be seen as an innovative, heavily substantial piece of work, regardless of its "influence" or whathaveyou. I mean, it would be silly to claim that an album released last week is "classic", but I'm fully confident that the above albums, even if their true impact is only now germinating, will be retrospectively view seen as great works down the years.

Great calls on Tara and Monotheist.

Edit: Right before I posted this I read the OP and noticed that criterion that I overlooked before. However, I give zero fucks, so I'm posting anyway. Hail Satan.

Yeah, I have a feeling that lots of people will post Nightwish et al... it helps to have known that stuff for a while in order to realize that it loses replay value. Just my opinion...

These are a few for me that have stood the test of time (released from 2000-2003):

Arcturus- The Sham Mirrors
Suidakra- The Arcanum
Borknagar- Quintessence
Hollenthon- With Vilest of Worms to Dwell
Primordial- Spirit the Earth Aflame and Storm Before Calm (I really love the latter, don't know about other people)
Windir- 1184 and Likferd

How about Wormed - Planisphaerium. Thats 10 years old this year.

I think Acid King - Busse Woods is just as good as Dopethrone.

This thread should be a prelude to voting on a canonical list that should be enshrined somewhere for the benefit of posterity.

From the past 5 years or so:

Beherit- Engram
Dead Congregation- Graves of the Archangels
Portal- Outre, Swarth
Averse Sefira- Advent Parallax
The Chasm- Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
Ares Kingdom- Incendiary
Darkspace- III
Revelation- Release
Teitanblood- Seven Chalices
Inquisition- Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm
Profanatica- Disgusting Blasphemies Against God
Procession- Destroyers of the Faith (borderline)
Autopsy- Macabre Eternal
Mitochondrion- Parasignosis

I'm probably missing a few, but each of the above managed to make something of substance by working with the framework established by the classics of the genre and bring something new to the table.

All of these are good, but I like to think of "classics" as albums that could potentially join the old school canon, in which case this list would need to be trimmed. Even though I'm not the biggest Portal fan, the first bands on your list will certainly be classics for a long time though. IMO Inquisition and Profanatica released their best albums earlier in the decade, and the others fall short of the first tier for me, despite being great.