Montreal

Reminiscence

Oblique and Nebulous
Nov 1, 2005
Lakewood, CO
I shall be going to Montreal for several days later this month. Have any of you been? If so, can you recommend any interesting places to check out? Great pubs? Good (cheap)hostels/hotels you stayed at? Or anything else you may want to add.

Montreal is a FANTASTIC city!
I have a blast every time I go there... tones of things to do,
tones of bars, clubs, cafes, museums, things to see....
This city is just GREAT.

I'm sure Fred or Asmodei can recomand you of a specific place and a specific bar/club/ record store but from my experience... everything is fun in Montreal.

clubs: loft, foufoune électrique. That's the 2 I heard of the most. I've never been to Montreal actually (well yes but I was too young to remember) so I can't help you that much. Larf is probably a better source on that matter.

Clubs: Foufounes electriques is a very nice bar where they play some kickass metal. Le Medley is a nice place for shows....

Shows:
Sonata Artica Jan 22nd @ The Medley
In Flames Feb 19th @ The Medley
Kreator Feb 22nb @ The Medley
Morbid Angel April 11th @ The Medley
Exodus May 2nd @ The Medley

Sights:
Biodome is a very nice Zoological experience with 4 artificial habitats (Quebec's aquatique life, Arctic life, tropical and Quebec's typical forest life)

as for hostels... they ain't cheap... However, if you don't mind the distance, I suggest you get a room in LONGUEIL wich is just a bit south of montreal and has a subway station heading for montreal. It'll be cheaper and quieter.

Larf03 said:
Clubs: Foufounes electriques is a very nice bar where they play some kickass metal. Le Medley is a nice place for shows....

Shows:

Sights:
Biodome is a very nice Zoological experience with 4 artificial habitats (Quebec's aquatique life, Arctic life, tropical and Quebec's typical forest life)

as for hostels... they ain't cheap... However, if you don't mind the distance, I suggest you get a room in LONGUEIL wich is just a bit south of montreal and has a subway station heading for montreal. It'll be cheaper and quieter.

I'm going to the Sonata show, but it's on the 21st! Will you be there?

The Biodome interests to me, as I am a nature lover. Also, thanks for the hostel information. I shall go look that up now.

Larf03 said:

Shows:

Sights:

Is that Biodome the "Biosphere" on Ile Sainte Helene?

Also, what street is Foufounes Electriques on? And is the Medley right next to "Universite du Quebec a Montreal"? Thanks. :)

A Trace Of Blood said:
What are some awesome beer varieties!?

Someone should come with me; at this point I'm going it alone. :/

Sorry but I have no business in montreal besides that Morbid Angel show coming up... There's a big fashion of micro-brewed beer going on all over quebec which makes beer drinking pretty interresting. Some german recepy here and there actually.

The Biosphere isn't the Biodome. The Biosphere is a big sphere located on an island and I don't think there is much to see in the winter. The biodom is in the same building as the olympic stadium

I love travelling alone....
You always end up meeting people from all over the world,
and the best part is... you travel with them, hang out with them, yet you dont owe them anything, so you still do what you want to do...
I back-packed almost all over the world, and 90% of the time, did it "alone".
I met soooo many people, and had a blast.
Just pick a cool young hostel, and you'll meet tones of people.

I know what you mean...I did that in Switzerland. It would just be nice to go with some friends around here, seeing as they are big Sonata fans and would share my enthusiasm at being able to buy beer and such.

So you've been all over the world? Sounds like my aspirations. I'm a huge backpacker (in the hiking, naturalistic sense) but I'm guessing you mean just travelling through a bunch of towns and lodging cheaply. That is great too. Do you speak a number of tongues?

A Trace Of Blood said:
I know what you mean...I did that in Switzerland. It would just be nice to go with some friends around here, seeing as they are big Sonata fans and would share my enthusiasm at being able to buy beer and such.

So you've been all over the world? Sounds like my aspirations. I'm a huge backpacker (in the hiking, naturalistic sense) but I'm guessing you mean just travelling through a bunch of towns and lodging cheaply. That is great too. Do you speak a number of tongues?

I regret not doing that while I was in europe. I speak french, english and a little bit of german

A Trace Of Blood said:

^ I did both!
I backpacked all over Europe and travelled through cities and also through landscapes and camped out in nature...
Its great to have your entire home on your back and be "free" to do whatever you decide to do that day.

I speak 3 languages, but I can "get by" (i.e. basic "hey how are you" how do I get to this and that" thank you" you're welcome" yada yada)
with almost any European language.

^ I totally agree...
there is always something to do, never boring, night life is GREAT,
day life is GREAT...
awesome city. period.

Canada27_resize.JPG