Moor

Dictionary.com:

moor1 (mr)
v. moored, moor·ing, moors.
v. tr.

To make fast (a vessel, for example) by means of cables, anchors, or lines: moor a ship to a dock; a dirigible moored to a tower.
To fix in place; secure. See Synonyms at fasten.
v. intr.
To secure a vessel or an aircraft with lines or anchors.
To be secured with lines or anchors: The freighter moored alongside the wharf.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English moren.]

moor2 (mr)
n.

A broad area of open land, often high but poorly drained, with patches of heath and peat bogs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English mor, from Old English mr.]

Yeah...fast forward to the calm acoustic section (ooohhh ooohhh...) and then wait for the reaction when the band breaks back into the song...this works with a number of Opeth songs. I especially love when the acoustics come in only to soon give way for a heavier section, like in the last two songs on Still Life.

No, "hed" is the Swedish word for "moor"....and I bet you didn't know, that if you remove one "o" from "moor", you get the Swedish word for "mother"....

Originally posted by svenske kocken
And by the way, the swedish word for "head" is "huvud".

Swedish seems like a pretty colourful and whacky language, though the chef on the muppets didn't do a very good job of denoting this.

There is beauty in variation.

Satori

Beat ya to it, Demonspell.
Heh. Oh... this feels so oddly sacrilegious...

DEMON OoF THE FELL. Seelent dunce-a veet deet. Iferytheeng is lust. Turn by zee erreefel ooff Ootoomn. Zee bleenk ooff un iye-a, yuoo knoo it's me-a. Yuoo keep zee degger cluse-a et hund. Und yuoo sev nutheeng. Felse-a lufe-a toorned tu poore-a hete-a. Zee veend creeed a lementeshun beffure-a mergeeng veet zee grey. Demun ooff zee fell. Gespeeng fur unuzeer breet. She-a ruse-a, screemeeng et clused duurs. Sedoocteefe-a feeent meest furgeeng thruoogh zee crecks in zee vell. I shunt reseest. In teers fur ell ooff iterneety. She-a toorned eruoond und feced me-a fur zee furst teeme-a. Roon evey, roon evey. Joost oone-a secund, und I ves lefft veet nutheeng. Her fregrunce-a steell poolseteeng thruoogh demp eur. Thet dey ceme-a tu un ind. Und she-a hed lust in me-a, her CREDENCE.

a moor is, as said before, a flat piece of land (type thing:p ). also it was a type of person back in medievel days, if anyone has seen robbin hood with kevin costner the character morgan freedman played was a moor. don't know much about them though. hope this helps:)

Reactions: Hiljainen
a moor is:

1 chiefly British : an expanse of open rolling infertile land
2 : a boggy area; especially : one that is peaty and dominated by grasses and sedges

a Moor (capitalized) is:

1 : one of the Arab and Berber conquerors of Spain
2 : BERBER

;)

'The Moor' is the first Opeth track I ever heard, and damn it's good.

Yes, it's a boggy area as described earlier in the thread, but somehow the swedish word I associate with it is 'mosse', and it does go very well with the Opeth nature theme.

As for why it's mentioned so much in the songs - it's a concept album no? The Moor would be a landmark in proximity of the village/town. A spooky eerie place, perfect Opeth music scenery, myths and tales circulating about it in the village.

I wouldn't think of it as a majestic place though. More on the picturesque side, gloomy, mystic when shrouded in mist, dry gnarled bushes with small leaves on dry sunny days, and always desolate, lonely.

The song seems to be sung from the perspective of an outcast. Beaten and left to die on the moor, and then wakes up as a ghost or from a trance of some kind.

All speculation of course. It would take a small book to describe exactly what visions the Moor gives me. =)