More Katatonia/Coldplay

VampiricYouth

Jul 15, 2005
So I've been listening to Parachutes again and can't stop thinking how much Coldplay reminds me of Katatonia, the lyrics, vocals and bass especially. If this band were heavier they'd be perfect. I seriously have a lot of respect for them.

well, for some reason when I hear Coldplay somehow the name Katatonia doesn't immediately strike me...

I understand some of the comparison if you're talking about VE. Still, I find Coldplay to be more of a pedestrian listen. Where things tend to go creative and deep with Katatonia, Coldplay often goes for the poppy pattern. For being such a polished act they are very good though. I still prefer Katatonia by miles.

I've heard only a few songs from them so far. I'm not interested in buying or listening to their music. It's a mainstream band, but I think that it worths, although in my eyes they look Gay, especially the vocals. Hmm... maybe poppy, but I think poppy = gay, and the whole image of the band. If they were heavier, they would sound better for sure.

Coldplay is bloody fantastic stuff. However, I'm not surprised to see metalminded dorks go apeshit and claim the opposit. Seriously, a good start in broadering your taste would be too check yer idols playlists, like Blakkheims, Renkses, the other Tonia guys or Mike Åkerfeldts. You'll get to know some interesting stuff and some of those sources helping Katatonia to be more than just another metalband.

I like coldplay alot.....not ashamed about it either.....but I also like ved buens ende and aborym too.....does that make me wierd?.....no it makes me openminded......I also like mike oldfield.....and the soundtrack to the movie hair.....(that last one was kind of a joke)......M&M is good for rap too......shit check out gregory stovetop....and gary jules while your at it.....some old modest mouse....mogwai....oxiplegatz(worlds and worlds)......murder by death.....tulus...fuck man......the list of good music out there is endless......enjoy your own tastes....

L0bster said:
Coldplay is bloody fantastic stuff. However, I'm not surprised to see metalminded dorks go apeshit and claim the opposit. Seriously, a good start in broadering your taste would be too check yer idols playlists, like Blakkheims, Renkses, the other Tonia guys or Mike Åkerfeldts. You'll get to know some interesting stuff and some of those sources helping Katatonia to be more than just another metalband.

i totally agree.. Today, on Turkey's State Tv Channel called TRT1 they aired the recent Opeth concert in Istanbul, (and I saw myself on TV so i am famous now=) eheh anyway, there was this interview with Mike and he said that one of his favorite bands is Travis, a brit pop band like Coldplay.

L0bster said:
Coldplay is bloody fantastic stuff. However, I'm not surprised to see metalminded dorks go apeshit and claim the opposit.

It's called TASTE
I listen to Moby, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and much more non-metal stuff, yet I don't like Coldplay at all. So think before calling anyone who doesn't like Coldplay a 'dork'.

I can't stand 'em, but only because the people living downstairs don't listen to anything but and always crank 'em up. Drives me mad. Plus, a few years ago I was in my mom's car and they were on the radio and she started making sounds like she was about to be sick. She said "enough of this wussy shit!" and shut the radio off. :lol: So I figure if it's too "wussy" for my mom, it's gotta be sad.

sould out? they are soft, but they kept their style even though their last release(x&y) was kinda weak, but they are a nice band! to call them sould out just doesnt make sense man, they ARE poppy, it is in their nature, and they are very good at what they do...i know it is your opinion and i respect that, but it is not like they were a hard-ass metal band and then, they changed their style you know? and there is so much good music that is not metal... i listen to stuff like tom waits, bob dylan, elliot smith, tea party, the smiths, belle & sebastian, king crimson, slowdive, joy division, the black crowes, alice in chains, rush, megadeth, morbid angel, sepultura, slayer, carcass, entombed, simon & garfunkel, the police, tool and so many others...i know it is a matter of taste not to like 'em and i think you can't compare them to fucking katatonia, but i don't think they are crappy and non-talented as most people do.

i aint play this said:
sould out? they are soft, but they kept their style even though their last release(x&y) was kinda weak, but they are a nice band! to call them sould out just doesnt make sense man, they ARE poppy, it is in their nature, and they are very good at what they do...i know it is your opinion and i respect that, but it is not like they were a hard-ass metal band and then, they changed their style you know? and there is so much good music that is not metal... i listen to stuff like tom waits, bob dylan, elliot smith, tea party, the smiths, belle & sebastian, king crimson, slowdive, joy division, the black crowes, alice in chains, rush, megadeth, morbid angel, sepultura, slayer, carcass, entombed, simon & garfunkel, the police, tool and so many others...i know it is a matter of taste not to like 'em and i think you can't compare them to fucking katatonia, but i don't think they are crappy and non-talented as most people do.
Well... I'm not man first of all... anyway :) I personally think their previous albums were a bit stronger.. or at least more sincere... that's why I called them sold out. My friend used to be their fan, that's why I know what I'm talking about... I heard enough of their opuses... It's not neseccary to call a death or black metal band sold out if they change their style to softer... I didn't mean this... Coldplay do what is popular and what you expect them to do... there is much more pretending in their music nowadays than real feelings... But you're right, this is only my opinion and I respect your opinion as well, so there's nothing to complain about...

It's not necessary to call a death or black metal band sold out if they change their style to softer... I didn't mean this...

neither i...

anyway, i understand what you mean about coldplay...the two previous records were really better

Listening to the track High Speed, yes, even though it's based off accoustic songs, the lead guitar really reminds me of a Blakkheim riff from Last Fair Deal...