More soccer/football

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Instead of bumping the ancient thread, i'll start anew.

This is a strange season for the EPL. It's been a long time, it seems, since neither Chelsea nor Liverpool are in the top 4. It's great to see a club like Tottenham in that 4th spot.

I know. It's been a really interesting year for the EPL. City and United fighting for the top... you watching the match today?

Edit: Just saw that Arsenal announced signing Lukas Podolski. Nice!

But how often do you see Chelsea beat Barcelona... twice! in two weeks! And we're in the FA cup final. Torres is starting to regain his form too - hat trick over the weekend during the 6-1 thrashing of QPR (well deserved after the away fixture being down to 9 men and the crap load of yellow cards and the whole john terry issue..)

Ivanovic has become one of my favorite players to watch cause he was like one of the first new buys that I saw when I started watching Chelsea in 07/08 and he got those two amazing headers in that Chelsea vs Liverpool champions league fixture(s) and he's been playing in the lineup ever since then it seems.

But how often do you see Chelsea beat Barcelona... twice! in two weeks!

I know. But people need to get their head out of their asses and realize that Barcelona is NOT unbeatable. Chelsea proved that, as did many other teams over the past years. Yes, they play formidable soccer and could very well be considered one of history's greatest teams formed, but still.

ApolloFC said:
Torres is starting to regain his form too - hat trick over the weekend during the 6-1 thrashing of QPR

I wonder how long it'll last. I miss his good days. :\ I hope he does regain his top form though. Great player!

ApolloFC said:
Ivanovic has become one of my favorite players to watch cause he was like one of the first new buys that I saw when I started watching Chelsea in 07/08

Ah, so you're new to it. :lol: I do have to ask why you're not mentioning what's probably one of Chelsea's most important players: Ramires. I mean, seriously. What an incredibly talented player. Chelsea better be smart and hold onto him for at least a couple more seasons.

Now, how cool is it that Bayern Munchen has the chance to celebrate their Champions League title AT HOME?

Totally if we have the old guard then the new guard is doing quite well of late. Not just him but Sturridge, Juaaaaaaaan mata (such a fun name to say!), other players I'm not thinking of atm.

Bayern Munich will be interesting to watch as I don't know anything about them except that they're a club in germany lol.

Forgot to mention that i was pissed this semester as I had night classes monday-wednesday and was/am stuck at school for the afternoon and not being able to watch the champions league games or the odd league fixture and was forced to listen to the second barcelona game on the official Chelsea radio stream. Still sucks next semester cause I'll have a tuesday afternoon but wednesdays are off. FoxSoccer2go needs to have the rights to games as they're played live ala Espn otherwise its pretty useless

I know. But people need to get their head out of their asses and realize that Barcelona is NOT unbeatable. Chelsea proved that, as did many other teams over the past years. Yes, they play formidable soccer and could very well be considered one of history's greatest teams formed, but still.

Nobody thinks they're unbeatable. Not even me, a Catalan! But lemme tell ya, it pains me when they lose. Like nothing else. :(

Nobody thinks they're unbeatable. Not even me, a Catalan! But lemme tell ya, it pains me when they lose. Like nothing else. :(

You'd be surprised...

I do wonder if people would still be Barca fans and Chelsea fans if they were fighting against relegation and didn't have a fantastic team...

Honestly, I love Barca because it represents where I come from. My favorite player (Puyol!!) is 100% Catalan and even flew the Catalan flag after he played the World Cup finals! So if they were a bunch of losers, I'd still love them.

During the Franco regime, Spain tried to eat Catalonia's national heritage and even their language, so the fact that we have such a good team is just the icing on the cake for us. The rivalry between Barca and Madrid is so big because Franco made Madrid his seat of power.

Honestly, I love Barca because it represents where I come from. My favorite player (Puyol!!) is 100% Catalan and even flew the Catalan flag after he played the World Cup finals! So if they were a bunch of losers, I'd still love them.

During the Franco regime, Spain tried to eat Catalonia's national heritage and even their language, so the fact that we have such a good team is just the icing on the cake for us. The rivalry between Barca and Madrid is so big because Franco made Madrid his seat of power.

Your case is different than most people. It actually means something. I'm originally from Brazil as everyone knows, and my favorite team happens to be Corinthians, no other team coming even close. However, I find it funny (and honestly don't get it)how a lot of people even here were "fans" of Man. U and Real Madrid a few years ago just because they had Beckham and C. Ronaldo and were doing good.... the bandwagon types, ya know?

You'd be surprised...

I do wonder if people would still be Barca fans and Chelsea fans if they were fighting against relegation and didn't have a fantastic team...

The life-long fans will always be there for their club - it's the band wagon jumpers that will get off at that point.

On a couple of separate points: People in my office who know NOTHING about soccer, but know that I follow and play the sport, asked me last week about El Classico. This tells me that at least the really HUGE matches are finally being covered in the news sources that everyone has access to - which is a big move in the right direction.

Does the fact that a relatively 'pedestrian' team such as Chelsea has figured out how to defend Bracelona mean that Germany and the Netherlands will have a shot at Euro 2012? I say Yes!

You are not one of the band wagon fans - that goes without saying! I am a life-long VfB Stuttgart fan - good or bad seasons, it doesn't matter.

Having said what I said in the previous post - there are a number of 'futbol' fans out there - me included - who will catch any Barca match they can - for no other reason that to see artistry in motion. However, they wouldn't be very likely to describe themselves as Barca fans - they just like a good game!

Oh - and as a big side note: You guys are in serious contention to hurt my ears on a permanent basis - "Out of the Darkness" is my default CD of choice so far this month when I can't decide on where to go next as far as what to play! Great job!

You'd be surprised...

I personally could care less what position we were in. Hell I work at a local 4th tier (development league, still in the USL system tho and theres no southeastern team in the MLS whatsoever) club in the summer. And while not football and started watching hockey & the hurricanes who are/were what like 18th or something in the league this season?

Have I mentioned I hate Roman?

Oh - and as a big side note: You guys are in serious contention to hurt my ears on a permanent basis - "Out of the Darkness" is my default CD of choice so far this month when I can't decide on where to go next as far as what to play! Great job!

Haha, wow! Thank you so much!!

You know it's funny you mention the "bandwagon" types. I grew up with a lot of FC Barca stuff, like stickers and flags on our cars. We bought it whenever we visited my relatives and I never saw it in the US. When I moved to Virginia, suddenly I saw FC Barca stuff EVERYWHERE! I was confused, I thought there were hundreds of Catalans in Virginia! I had no idea that the team was so famous worldwide because I was so used to just watching games at home with my parents. It's still kinda strange, but totally understandable!

Glad to hear some of you guys aren't the type that I was referring to. :) Nothing like growing up with your "second skin" haha.

My son already has two Corinthians jerseys. :lol: He's 14 days old tomorrow.

Glad to hear some of you guys aren't the type that I was referring to. :) Nothing like growing up with your "second skin" haha.

My son already has two Corinthians jerseys. :lol: He's 14 days old tomorrow.

Congratulations - on the baby - are in order! :D Will your club defend its title this season?

My wife is Brazilian, and is a life-long Internacional Porto Alegre fan - while the rest of her family are split down the middle between Inter and Gremio. I had the honor of seeing Inter play Flamengo in 1998 when the great Romario was at Flamengo - a totally different experience than watching a Bundesliga match in person.

Congratulations - on the baby - are in order! :D Will your club defend its title this season?

Thanks man. It's a very special feeling to be a father. I am loving it!

As far as Corinthians defending the title, absolutely. They kept pretty much the same squad as last year with a few new signings. It's a very mentally mature team who has proven to perform extremely well under pressure. The main focus of the year is taking the Libertadores Cup this year (the equivalent to the Champions League in South America), the only title Corinthians has never won. We got rid of Adriano (since he was useless) and have only lost two matches all year long. The more than 30 million supporters are *very* confident this year. It's this year's team to beat alongside Santos.

Concertmusic said:
My wife is Brazilian, and is a life-long Internacional Porto Alegre fan - while the rest of her family are split down the middle between Inter and Gremio. I had the honor of seeing Inter play Flamengo in 1998 when the great Romario was at Flamengo - a totally different experience than watching a Bundesliga match in person.

Ha, the Inter and Gremio rivalry is one of the most fun of the country. I take your wife is from Rio Grande do Sul? Also, yes, watching any game in the Brazilian first division is an experience that's second to none, especially if you catch one of the teams who have the most passionate fans (Corinthians, Flamengo, Inter, Gremio, Bahia...). It's beautiful!

Ha, the Inter and Gremio rivalry is one of the most fun of the country. I take your wife is from Rio Grande do Sul? Also, yes, watching any game in the Brazilian first division is an experience that's second to none, especially if you catch one of the teams who have the most passionate fans (Corinthians, Flamengo, Inter, Gremio, Bahia...). It's beautiful!

She is from Porto Alegre, and I have had the pleasure if visiting that fine city a couple fo times. Her aunt's family have an apartment on the hill overlooking Beira-Rio stadium - even though her uncle is one of the Gremio supporters!

Best of luck in the Serie A and Copa Libertadores this season! More to the point, good luck in the Copa today against Emelec - and I'll be hoping for Inter to go through against Fluminense next week!

She is from Porto Alegre, and I have had the pleasure if visiting that fine city a couple fo times. Her aunt's family have an apartment on the hill overlooking Beira-Rio stadium - even though her uncle is one of the Gremio supporters!

I love the high-rise apartment buildings around stadiums in Brazil. Nothing like watching the game live from the comfort of your deck. :lol:

Concertmusic said:
Best of luck in the Serie A and Copa Libertadores this season! More to the point, good luck in the Copa today against Emelec - and I'll be hoping for Inter to go through against Fluminense next week!

Thank you. I'm personally hoping for an Inter x Corinthians final, simply because of our recent finals history against Inter. :lol: :p

The problem is getting through Neymar's Santos. *sigh*

On a separate note - since we have hijacked this thread to talk Brazilian futbol - back to the EPL: The finish there should be fun. Equal on points, +7 goals for City - especially the Newcastle - City match will be must-see! I am personally hoping for City to do it - a little new blood on the EPL scene is good for everyone!

And my VfB are 1 point behind Leverkusen for the automatic Europa League spot - with one last match day left this weekend.

Then there is Euro 2012 to look forward to - it should be a GREAT summer for futbol!