More soccer/football

I will be rooting for VfB this weekend. It'd be nice to see them playing the Europa League next year. In fact, am I the only one who many times thinks the Europa League is so much more fun than the CL? It's more about the passion than the money, imo. A lot of times, the games are much cooler to watch too!

Euro 2012 will be fun. Who's the main contender in your opinion? I say it's in between Germany and Holland, but who knows.

I will be rooting for VfB this weekend. It'd be nice to see them playing the Europa League next year. In fact, am I the only one who many times thinks the Europa League is so much more fun than the CL? It's more about the passion than the money, imo. A lot of times, the games are much cooler to watch too!

Euro 2012 will be fun. Who's the main contender in your opinion? I say it's in between Germany and Holland, but who knows.

I do follow the CL, as I am sure you do as well. Having said that, seeing the 2nd tier of European domestic leagues do battle, and seeing the likes of Bilbao and Madrid, who cannot hope to compete domestically against Barca and Real, come out on top, is fascinating.

Loaded question on Euro 2012. Spain defend their title, but are not the same team without David Villa. Germany have an excellent midfield and attack, but a suspect defense. The Dutch - who knows what team will show up (and if it's that negative style garbage they played at WC 2010, they can stay at home for all I care)? Same can be asked of the French and Italians, and even the Portuguese. A wide open contest - which makes for some great competition! Note I left out England ... :)

Thank you. I'm personally hoping for an Inter x Corinthians final, simply because of our recent finals history against Inter. :lol: :p

The problem is getting through Neymar's Santos. *sigh*

Looks like your team had a bit of trouble yesterday with the Ecuadorians - but a 0-0 draw away should be enough to carry you through. How big of a loss is Jorge Henrique for you?

Looks like your team had a bit of trouble yesterday with the Ecuadorians - but a 0-0 draw away should be enough to carry you through. How big of a loss is Jorge Henrique for you?

Not to sound like a whiner, but the referee last night was to blame for the game. Inverting fouls, giving yellow cards to players asking questions... I mean, I'm past complaining about the referees because when it's in your favor, it's beautiful... lol, but the guy was seriously biased. I really wish you could've seen the ref's decisions...

Jorge Henrique is often called the team's Motor. He's always running, be it attacking or returning to defense. He's extremely technical and the type of player who knows how to provoke the other team with his skills. He's very smart and is quickly able to get an opposing defenseman to "lose it" and get a red card. Ironically, that's kind of what happened yesterday (though one of his yellow cards were unjustified).

Cassio was a good surprise as the new goalie. Very firm and confident. I think we have a good shot back at home next week. As long as we can keep cool and play our game. A simple victory gets us through. A draw with goals gets them through, so gotta be alert.

Great points - it's always better to get a fan's perspective, instead of reading just a bland match report!

Your team is in control of its own destiny - can't ask for much more.

Based on what you write about the referee, South American officiating has not improved much then since my last exposure - still way too much bias and making decisions based on the heat of the moment.

Goo luck next week!

On a separate note, congrats to Real Madrid. I am not a big fan outside of appreciating their style of play, and some of the individual skill, and I am really not a fan of Mourinho's antics, but the man can coach - and having a couple of German Internationals in the squad has meant that I follow their progress more closely than most seasons.

Chelsea v Liverpool FA Cup tomorrow :D Ever since we've gotten Torres I've never really worried about Liverpool. Quite excited :D

I told you about Ramires, and he did it again. Looks like you need to start focusing on the *real* stars of the team... not Torres.

And by the way, as much as I rooted for Chelsea, that Liverpool header WAS a goal.

Liverpool were shit in the first half. Downing, Enrique, Spearing and Henderson were really bad (not good enough for LFC). As soon as big Andy came on it was a different game. Suarez was less isolated and showed his class (best player in the EPL). Luck has not been with the reds this season....continued into the final. If it got to extra time i think it would have been a different result.
Oh well.....i think Chelsea are gonna get smashed in the champions league final.

And by the way, as much as I rooted for Chelsea, that Liverpool header WAS a goal.

Say what you want about the goal, tis not my call to make :p I'm all for fair calls.. i'm not excluding Chelsea players when I say this either.

I'm just happy todays a proper footballing day. with a few matches back to back :D New castle vs city to start the day

I'm all for fair calls.. i'm not excluding Chelsea players when I say this either.

LOL, dude, you seriously would prefer that every call in soccer was correct?!?!

No comments... If so, you wanna make the sport as boring as baseball or American football?

There's something that it seems most Americans don't get... Having bad calls in soccer ADDS a lot to the game. It adds drama, it adds to the passion and it makes the sport more HUMAN. Thank god we dont have instant reviews for the referree.. That'd ruin it.

I'm just happy todays a proper footballing day. with a few matches back to back :D New castle vs city to start the day

Yes. Great matches today, but step out of the EPL a bit. You'll find a lot more stuff to dig in (many many times a lot better football too :p )

Not every call no. I think I was going along the lines of goal line technology and people diving (fair play would be a better term here I guess?) when i said that earlier today.

I watch Boca Juniors on occasion and a little italian football here and there.

Not every call no. I think I was going along the lines of goal line technology and people diving (fair play would be a better term here I guess?) when i said that earlier today.

Goal line technology... Possibly.

Dives... Need to stay! Lol

I watch Boca Juniors on occasion and a little italian football here and there.

Boca rules. No supporters in the world like Corinthians and Boca. Incredible!!!!!!!

Totally unrelated to the last few posts - but I cannot seem to find the Europa League final being broadcast live in the USA on Wednesday? The best I can do it an 8 PM EDT delay on Gol TV. While that is fine, since I won't be able to watch before then in any case, what gives? This is a major final in a major competition, and no one is carrying is live - or am I missing a listing somewhere?

Totally unrelated to the last few posts - but I cannot seem to find the Europa League final being broadcast live in the USA on Wednesday? The best I can do it an 8 PM EDT delay on Gol TV. While that is fine, since I won't be able to watch before then in any case, what gives? This is a major final in a major competition, and no one is carrying is live - or am I missing a listing somewhere?

Check out firstrowsports.eu in case you want to watch a live feed at the time of the game.

Well it's pretty common for the US to miss major soccer games. Most channels would prefer to show the final of the American "Little League" of baseball, final of some dumb college lacrosse tournament, reruns of baseball finals of 1983, etc... Totally stupid. However, things HAVE been changing. Even FX shows live matches (European) every now and then.

Maybe they're finally giving in to the biggest sport in the world.

Check out firstrowsports.eu in case you want to watch a live feed at the time of the game.

Well it's pretty common for the US to miss major soccer games. Most channels would prefer to show the final of the American "Little League" of baseball, final of some dumb college lacrosse tournament, reruns of baseball finals of 1983, etc... Totally stupid. However, things HAVE been changing. Even FX shows live matches (European) every now and then.

Maybe they're finally giving in to the biggest sport in the world.

I had thought that we were starting to do better. I can watch almost all group and elimination games in both European competitions live - and now that we have the final, it is delayed. Very strange - and my main complaint is simply about what that says in how we rate the importance of that match. I have setup my DVR for Wed evening.

I had thought that we were starting to do better. I can watch almost all group and elimination games in both European competitions live - and now that we have the final, it is delayed. Very strange - and my main complaint is simply about what that says in how we rate the importance of that match. I have setup my DVR for Wed evening.

Cool. I'll try not to post any spoilers here. :)

Wednesday evening is a big night. We host Emelec at home. If you're interested in watching it, let me know and I'll get you a link. Fiel Torcida will put on an awesome spectacle!

Cool. I'll try not to post any spoilers here. :)

Wednesday evening is a big night. We host Emelec at home. If you're interested in watching it, let me know and I'll get you a link. Fiel Torcida will put on an awesome spectacle!

I won't be able to watch anything live that night - soccer practice! I appreciate the offer, however, and will be reading the match report with interest on Thu morning! Good luck to your side!

Now I know that I may be alone on this - but let me ask in any case: Does anyone else enjoy this part of the domestic European seasons as much as I do?

By 'this part' I mean the relegation matches. Very little else brings out tight, heart-wrenching futbol like a make-or-break home-and-home series to survive and keep the pay checks flowing.

To go from a top flight to the 2nd level usually means huge budget cuts - and most teams are painfully aware of the dangers of not making it right back up in the subsequent year. See the Sheffield clubs, or Leeds United in England, or Bielefeld or Bochum in Germany, for example - all either relegated yet one level more just a couple of years after being relegated from the top flight, or in danger of doing so.

Hopefully this won't make Nina cry - but it appears that Carlos Puyol will miss Euro 2012 for Spain due to impending knee surgery.

As a German, this makes the question mark over Spain even bigger. I have thought all along that the absence of David Villa is huge - but this is even bigger.

Can Mario Gomez and Miro Klose take advantage, assuming they even meet at some stage of this competition? Stay tuned.