More soccer/football

If anyone has not yet watched the end of the Man City vs QPR match, and doesn't know the outcome - please watch! You'll become a soccer fan in 5 minutes or less - it does not get any more suspensful than that!

What a great final match day in the EPL!

This.

Holy crap, what an ending.

So good watching United fans waiting for the City game to end with 2 minutes to go......then "the news" :lol:

Also lol @ the West Brom goalie who got his go in the first team against Arsenal.

I know this is esoteric - but it nicely illustrates the surprises that happen almost every season in most leagues:

Yesterday, Regensburg drew 2-2 with Karlsruhe in the back leg of the German 2nd/3rd Liga relegation match to secure their promotion from the 3rd Liga to the 2nd Bundesliga. This will mean an increase in their budget from about 4 million Euros to over 7 million due to increased TV money.

Regensburg started the season last summer with the lowest budget in the 3rd Liga, and their stated goal was to simply try to stay in that Liga, and not be relegated to the 4th level. Instead they play a fabulous season and are promoted to the 2nd level. Congrats to this small club for a historic season!

I know this is esoteric - but it nicely illustrates the surprises that happen almost every season in most leagues:

Yesterday, Regensburg drew 2-2 with Karlsruhe in the back leg of the German 2nd/3rd Liga relegation match to secure their promotion from the 3rd Liga to the 2nd Bundesliga. This will mean an increase in their budget from about 4 million Euros to over 7 million due to increased TV money.

Regensburg started the season last summer with the lowest budget in the 3rd Liga, and their stated goal was to simply try to stay in that Liga, and not be relegated to the 4th level. Instead they play a fabulous season and are promoted to the 2nd level. Congrats to this small club for a historic season!

That's amazing! I love to hear stories like that!

Also, it's incredible how much TV broadcasting money makes a difference for a team, right? We have the biggest in the country and without it, there would be no way we'd maintain a lot of the players we do. Thank God! How does that work in Germany? Do teams get the same amount by the TV channels, or is it based on audience/fanbase/popularity?

That's amazing! I love to hear stories like that!

Also, it's incredible how much TV broadcasting money makes a difference for a team, right? We have the biggest in the country and without it, there would be no way we'd maintain a lot of the players we do. Thank God! How does that work in Germany? Do teams get the same amount by the TV channels, or is it based on audience/fanbase/popularity?

Well - it's a bit of a mix. I believe that all teams get the same base amount, which is the largest part of things. Then they get smaller amounts on top of that based on how many times they are on TV for the main evening games, so the better/more popular teams get a little more there.

Having said that, the German model is one of the most equitable systems, which is one of the main reasons why there is more parity, and the lower clubs can compete and win in most games - unlike Spain, for example, where Real and Barcelona are 30 points ahead of their nearest competition most years, and the real battle is for third place.

The flip side is that making it to European competitions is even bigger, since that is the main way to supplement the standard money a club can expect.

Well - it's a bit of a mix. I believe that all teams get the same base amount, which is the largest part of things. Then they get smaller amounts on top of that based on how many times they are on TV for the main evening games, so the better/more popular teams get a little more there.

Having said that, the German model is one of the most equitable systems, which is one of the main reasons why there is more parity, and the lower clubs can compete and win in most games - unlike Spain, for example, where Real and Barcelona are 30 points ahead of their nearest competition most years, and the real battle is for third place.

The flip side is that making it to European competitions is even bigger, since that is the main way to supplement the standard money a club can expect.

Gotcha. Interesting system for sure...

And I've known the Bundesliga is famous for not having so much disparity between teams... much like the Brazilian. Makes it for a much, much more interesting league...as opposed to, as you say, the boring Spanish Liga...

This, in my mind, is an excellent illustration of why England may leave Euro 2012 after the group stages:

Hodgson had to choose between Rio Ferdinand and John Terry for his squad - the two do not get along at all, which is largely due to Terry's disgusting behavior on and off the pitch.

The outcome: Terry gets a ticket to the tourney, Ferdinand is left off the squad. While an argument can be made that Terry is the better center defender of the two, the gap isn't massive, at least in my opinion. However, having the type of character that Terry brings with him on a thin and volatile squad just doesn't sit well with me.

I am not an England fan to start with - but this decision will make me actively root against them. Shame.

Hodgson had to choose between Rio Ferdinand and John Terry for his squad - the two do not get along at all, which is largely due to Terry's disgusting behavior on and off the pitch.

If i was Woy Hodgson i'd have picked a back 4 of John Terry, Anton Ferdinand, Wayne Bridge :lol:.....and Paul Konchesky (because i am Woy Hodgson).

He should have left Rio and Terry out to be honest....but England have no good centre backs to pick from.

If i was Woy Hodgson i'd have picked a back 4 of John Terry, Anton Ferdinand, Wayne Bridge :lol:.....and Paul Konchesky (because i am Woy Hodgson).

He should have left Rio and Terry out to be honest....but England have no good centre backs to pick from.

It's frankly quite surprising how thin most teams are at the center back positions. Let's see:

Germany have real issues in that department - the best of the bunch is Hummels, and both Boateng and Badstuber had poor runs at the end of the season. Let' s not even talk about Mertesacker.

Can you name one of the Dutch center backs off the top of your head?

Spain have Piqet - but no Puyol. I am not a big fan of Arbeloa or Albiol.

France - I can name Koscielny - and then chuckle, as he has had a terrible season, I think.

Italy - Chiellini and Barzagli come to mind, and Italy can usually defend with the best of them, but there is no Nesta-caliber center back in there.

England - Lescott and Terry - nuff said.

We should have plenty of goals scored by central strikers this summer!

This. Can't wait.

Thoughts on that match? I frankly think Chelski is too short-handed with their yellow-card suspensions to be rated as even-strength with Bayern (at home) for this competition. Bayern will be WAY fired up, and the crowd will be nuts - I see Bayern in a close, 1-goal difference match.

Thoughts on that match? I frankly think Chelski is too short-handed with their yellow-card suspensions to be rated as even-strength with Bayern (at home) for this competition. Bayern will be WAY fired up, and the crowd will be nuts - I see Bayern in a close, 1-goal difference match.

Bayern will win in one of the biggest blowouts since Real Madrid's routs in the 50's. a 4-1 or 5-1 scoreline in Bayern's favor would not surprise me.

I think instead of offering deep thoughts about the game, I'll just give my score prediction:

Bayern 3 -1 Chelsea

This considering players who are going to be out due to injury, home-pitch factor and overall performance throughout the season.

Does that mean Chelsea has no chance? No. They do. But Bayern is a tough team to be beat at home, especially in a final. It's easier to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge than Bayern at Allianz Arena. Fact.

I'm really interested in the selection of the squad tonight. If I've been reading watching the ChelseaFC facebook spam (seriously like 7 posts in an hour every hour), two of their b side should be used as subs? two of which I don't know anything about. Looks like Cole will be good as is Luiz and Cahill so everyone who wasn't suspended should be good..

Who should I look out for on the german side?

This is why I love soccer.

The worst of all 4 semi finalists won the title. That was great. They have got to be the luckiest team to ever win the CL!

Now let's see who will most likely take Chelsea at the finals of the Fifa World Cup of Clubs in December. Hopefully my Corinthians, haha!