More soccer/football

I saw the first 30 minutes of the Corinthians - Vasco match - looked pretty even to me. No surprise that a single late goal was the winner. Congrats!

I saw the first 30 minutes of the Corinthians - Vasco match - looked pretty even to me. No surprise that a single late goal was the winner. Congrats!

Typical Corinthians win!!! They like making us suffering til the very last minute!! hahahaha Incredible ending to the match.

Also, let it be said that Diego Souza (Vasco) blew the match's biggest chance. You have to see it to believe it...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8MUohTEPa8&feature=related[/ame] (2nd half, you'll know when you see it)

VAI CORINTHIANS!

Typical Corinthians win!!! They like making us suffering til the very last minute!! hahahaha Incredible ending to the match.

Also, let it be said that Diego Souza (Vasco) blew the match's biggest chance. You have to see it to believe it...

A shocking defensive mistake leading up to that break-away - and a terrible miss by Souza. Your keeper did not look very sure all night (that last chance off the free kick for Vasco was nearly a back-breaker), and if he had run at him further, Souza either would have scored, or could have caused a penalty/red card!

Great highlights, however - 1 bar, two or three posts, a couple of outstanding saves by the Vasco keeper - and then some terrible marking on the winning goal.

Well deserved win!

Your keeper did not look very sure all night

Which is weird, because he recently gained the spot in the starting 11 and so far he has been incredibly secure. He's tall as hell (something we haven't had since Dida) and great at PKs too. Last night, however, I agree. A few moments made me a bit nervous...

Also... after Souza's terrible miss and the next header on the bar, I got very confident. That's one of those typical "football signs" that the ball isn't meant to go in for that team, especially when those happen back to back. Call it an omen, if you would... And let's face it, this is the only sport where things as such as very believable. That's why they say this sport can be cruel and the soccer Gods will jest if they feel like it...

Funny note... In Brazil, Globo TV (biggest tv network) has a segment on their daily sports show called "Unbelievable Football Club". It basically takes the most incredible misses of the week and hosts a poll for viewers to pick which player deserves a place in the starting lineup of Unbelievable FC. Needless to say, Souza is #1 right now. :lol:

Funny note... In Brazil, Globo TV (biggest tv network) has a segment on their daily sports show called "Unbelievable Football Club". It basically takes the most incredible misses of the week and hosts a poll for viewers to pick which player deserves a place in the starting lineup of Unbelievable FC. Needless to say, Souza is #1 right now. :lol:

I would have thought that Sergio Ramos had the #1 spot locked up for a while! :loco:

So, the equivalent to the Champions League semis in South America:

Boca Juniors x Universidad de Chile
Corinthians x Santos

Arguably the 4 best South American teams. This is going to be crazy!

So, the equivalent to the Champions League semis in South America:

Boca Juniors x Universidad de Chile
Corinthians x Santos

Arguably the 4 best South American teams. This is going to be crazy!

Should be fun! I am a little suprised to see Universidad still in amongst the top four, after losing Vargas - I would have expected them to miss him more!

I know!!! But that team plays well together, and they're full of good technique.

Alright, now I have another question for you since you're European by birth. Why is it that most European countries don't care so much about the Club World Cup at the end of the year? It seems that maybe the Italian and Spanish teams do, but not the rest?

In South America, Libertadores is the 2nd most wanted title, and the World title at the end of the year is by far the most sought after.

I know!!! But that team plays well together, and they're full of good technique.

Alright, now I have another question for you since you're European by birth. Why is it that most European countries don't care so much about the Club World Cup at the end of the year? It seems that maybe the Italian and Spanish teams do, but not the rest?

In South America, Libertadores is the 2nd most wanted title, and the World title at the end of the year is by far the most sought after.

Ah - that is an interesting question. 'Don't care so much' is an understatement - don't care at all is more like it, at least from a German perspective.

I think it comes down to the fact that, especially in Germany, the Bundesliga will always come first. Then there is the Champions League, followed by the DFB Pokal (domestic cup), then Europa League.

By the time you take all of those competitions into account, yet one more competition, against clubs no one has ever heard of, just doesn't make waves.

The other piece of it may be this: Players from South America are rare for German clubs - especially outside of Bayern. The few that have made it usually stay in Europe after leaving Germany, but may move to the southern European countries. The lack of knowledge of competitions and clubs from outside of Europe just doesn't make playing a South American or African club team very attractive or interesting to the average fan.

I think to many European fans the winner of the Champions League is automatically considered the best club team in the world. I have watched the last couple of Club World Cups, and the Europeans sides use that competition almost more as a warm-up for the 2nd half of the domestic and European competitions.

All theories on my part - but I can tell you that it is not very high on my radar either as a trophy to be really serious about.

Ah - that is an interesting question. 'Don't care so much' is an understatement - don't care at all is more like it, at least from a German perspective.

I think it comes down to the fact that, especially in Germany, the Bundesliga will always come first. Then there is the Champions League, followed by the DFB Pokal (domestic cup), then Europa League.

By the time you take all of those competitions into account, yet one more competition, against clubs no one has ever heard of, just doesn't make waves.

The other piece of it may be this: Players from South America are rare for German clubs - especially outside of Bayern. The few that have made it usually stay in Europe after leaving Germany, but may move to the southern European countries. The lack of knowledge of competitions and clubs from outside of Europe just doesn't make playing a South American or African club team very attractive or interesting to the average fan.

I think to many European fans the winner of the Champions League is automatically considered the best club team in the world. I have watched the last couple of Club World Cups, and the Europeans sides use that competition almost more as a warm-up for the 2nd half of the domestic and European competitions.

All theories on my part - but I can tell you that it is not very high on my radar either as a trophy to be really serious about.

LOL That sounds so American, though... (no offense to anyone here, but you guys call the Superbowl winners "World Champions" and the MLB final the "World Series". Ridiculous).

I don't think I'll ever understand how a world-wide tournament can be considered smaller and ignored so much. I mean, even Fifa says it's the culmination of worldwide club soccer. However, your point about Germany not having enough South American players is a good point and it makes sense when you put it that way.

And the winner of the CL is *NOT* the best team in the world. First of all, the CL only has European teams and there's a lot more soccer in the world outside of that. Secondly, Chelsea won the CL. To say Chelsea is the best team in the world, is the same thing as to say "The World is Flat".

To say Chelsea is the best team in the world, is the same thing as to say "The World is Flat".

:Spin: :loco:

You are making very good points - and I happen to agree with you on most of them.

I think my real point on the significance of this competition from a European perspective is that it is usually played in December. That falls squarely into the tail end of the first half of the domestic season, as well as in the middle of the European competitions. Clubs fighting for every point may not be able to devote the energy to this cup that is deserves. Fans, on the other hand, are coasting toward the holiday season, and also have other things on their mind. Having said that, something similar is true for the South American sides.

The club walking away with this trophy has another piece of silverware, and a nice feather in their hat - hey look, we are Club World Champs. If the European side doesn't win - which was in 2006 - they'll argue that they saved themselves for the rest of their seasons at home.

On a side note - the thumping Barcelona administered to Santos in the last edition may mean that the European sides are now taking this more seriously - as it appears that Barcelona played its full squad.

No right answer here - give this thing a few more years, and it may develop into what it should be.

Did any of you guys check out the League 1 final? It was a decent game that lead to penalties.. but the penalties for that was crazy. Everybody was missing in initial round and then everybody kept scoring in sudden death and then the keepers had a and .. the team in red lost iirc lol. Just worked a Carolina dynamo game so that was a long while a go lol.

Maybe if the Club World Cup was actually organised properly European sides would give a damn. At the moment it feels and looks like nothing more than a gimmick tournament. As a football fan I don't take the tournament seriously

So far, so good for the Euro 2012 - we have had a little of everything so far:

- amateur-level play in the opener
- a drubbing of the Czechs by a fresh-looking Russia squad
- disciplined defending and clinical finishing by the Danes
- a workmanlike effort by the Germans
- futbol the way it is meant to be played by Spain and Italy
- 30 minutes of kick-ball before the Croats settled down and played their game

Today I look for France to teach Hodgson's boys a lesson, and for Sweden to grind out a must-win three points.

Missed yesterday's game with Spain and Italy (kicks self) but the highlights were awesome. Disappointed that we tied, but I think we'll do better in the next round!

^^^ Spain absolutely outclassed Ireland. It will be a minor miracle if Italy does not get three points in the next match. Balotelli really needs to get his confidence back.

Not sure whats up with Italy, but they've been playing very defensively. I predict that this will be another final game with Germany/Spain, and I would not be unhappy about that!