More soccer/football

Man even when Muller scored that first goal I literally had a grin on my face. It was more like, so this is how its going to play out? fantastic :D It was such an excellent game

I'm more interested in seeing what to do during the olympics considering that USA's out, what a wtf moment that was lol

Well. Crushing blow for Bayern. Here is my one worry: Chelsea has now proven several times in a row that a completely negative style can defeat positive, flowing, creative football.

My fear is that we will see more of the same this summer, when teams try this style of play against Spain and Germany, for example - Italy play this way regardless of whom they face in any case.

What it will take for this not to become a negative trend is better finishing - if Gomez had put away one or two of his chances, Chelsea would have had to come out of their shell and play futbol.

Regardless - they came with a plan, and stuck to it with a limited squad - congrat to the Blues. Now if only Drogba would retire - I am heartily tired of his smug visage.

Man I want Drogba on for another 2 years, just to make it a good 10. if not then I hope he decides to join Anelka in China or another team with a former blues player. And the reason I stuck with Chelsea when I first started watching them in 07/08 was that we had a flowing style. Compared to the games against Barcelona I think we weren't as "negative" against Bayern if we were then I just wasn't paying attention to tactics as I usually don't.

Man I want Drogba on for another 2 years, just to make it a good 10. if not then I hope he decides to join Anelka in China or another team with a former blues player. And the reason I stuck with Chelsea when I first started watching them in 07/08 was that we had a flowing style. Compared to the games against Barcelona I think we weren't as "negative" against Bayern if we were then I just wasn't paying attention to tactics as I usually don't.

Well - maybe I should explain what I mean by negative in this case. Essentially, the di Matteo game plan was as Italian as can be: Play with a two-layered wall composed of 10 players in the back third of your side of the pitch, and absorb the Bayern pressure until they become so frustrated that they shoot from 30 yards out and miss, or bring in a cross that will be cleared.

Any attack consisted of largely blasting the ball out of the Chelsea box as far as possible and see if Drogba could run on to it. The few times they actually built from the back, they left 5-6 back behind the ball, and had at most 2 players in the box to receive a cross, or tried it through the middle in the first place.

You may recall a comment that Mata was not having a good game. Of course he didn't - his job is to build an attack, and he rarely had the ball to do so. Chelsea really missed Ramires, but even with him, the game plan may have prevented him to get in the game much.

The Dutch used a different version of negative during the World Cup Final - hit any Spaniard who held the ball too long so hard that he won't want to do it again the next time. Howard Webb nearly played into their calculations by being ever so lenient.

And the reason I stuck with Chelsea when I first started watching them in 07/08 was that we had a flowing style.

By the way, I love Drogba!

Now, you wanna talk about FLOWING style of football?

Look up matches of the following teams:

Brazil 1970
Brazil 1982
Argentina 1990
Netherlands 1974
Spain 2010

Arguably, some of most incredible football ever played.

Well - maybe I should explain what I mean by negative in this case. Essentially, the di Matteo game plan was as Italian as can be: Play with a two-layered wall composed of 10 players in the back third of your side of the pitch, and absorb the Bayern pressure until they become so frustrated that they shoot from 30 yards out and miss, or bring in a cross that will be cleared.

Any attack consisted of largely blasting the ball out of the Chelsea box as far as possible and see if Drogba could run on to it. The few times they actually built from the back, they left 5-6 back behind the ball, and had at most 2 players in the box to receive a cross, or tried it through the middle in the first place.

You may recall a comment that Mata was not having a good game. Of course he didn't - his job is to build an attack, and he rarely had the ball to do so. Chelsea really missed Ramires, but even with him, the game plan may have prevented him to get in the game much.

The Dutch used a different version of negative during the World Cup Final - hit any Spaniard who held the ball too long so hard that he won't want to do it again the next time. Howard Webb nearly played into their calculations by being ever so lenient.

So working with the counter attack then?

So working with the counter attack then?

Well - yes - to an extent.

There will always be teams who will rely on a good counter-attack to spark scoring. However, most of those teams will also try to build an attack when possible, but will be built to take full advantage of counter opportunities - if you have seen Borussia Dortmund play this year, they can build with the best of them, but can be absolutely deadly on the quick counter.

Chelsea's game plan reminded me of QPR's game plan against Man City. In that case, we had a team that knew it was overmatched against an offensive juggernaut - and when there is a big disparity in team quality, I have no issue with that.

However, this is the Champion's League final we are talking about - and to play as if you think you have to defend to the exclusion of everything else is an interesting approach. :yow:

Enough of this, however - I don't want to sound as though I am whining. This approach can work if done well - and Chelsea did it very well. Having said that, the approach tends to sink a team very quickly if the opponent takes one or two of their opportunities, and then the negative team has to quickly convert into an offensive team - and usually can't handle it.

...because they are old and slow in the back, and after Ronaldo and Nani on the wings they have nothing.

Let's not forget the fact they have Pepe, one of the dirtiest players in football (closely tied with DeRossi (Italy), Terry (England) and... oh yeah... most Argentine defensemen...

Let's not forget the fact they have Pepe, one of the dirtiest players in football (closely tied with DeRossi (Italy), Terry (England) and... oh yeah... most Argentine defensemen...

You know, I watched quite a bit of Real Madrid this season, as I am a fan of Ozil and Khedira....

While he is truly a hothead and fool at times, there are other times where he is simply slow and clumsy, and gets there so late that is looks dirty, when in fact he just proving that he is a terrible center back.

As far as Portugal goes - 2 men a team does not make, as Yoda might say. They worry me not.

Good point about Portugal.

What's your thought on tonight's Libertadores matchups?

Fluminense x Boca Juniors (in Rio. Boca won the first game at Bombonera)
Corinthians x Vasco (in Sao Paulo. 0x0 first game)

Also - I would be extremely grateful if you could PM me your email address. I might need some help from you since you're German (it has to do with FC St Pauli)... Thanks bro!

Good point about Portugal.

What's your thought on tonight's Libertadores matchups?

Fluminense x Boca Juniors (in Rio. Boca won the first game at Bombonera)
Corinthians x Vasco (in Sao Paulo. 0x0 first game)

I like Flu and Corinthians. I think Flu is playing very well, especially given that they were able to take all 3 points in Sao Paulo last weekend. Corinthians should be disappointed enough by that loss to be up for this game, and have home field against Vasco.
If Corinthians can do it, they should meet Santos, as you have feared all along. Having said that, is Neymar with the national side, or is he playing tomorrow night?

I may have to see if I can catch either one of those matched online, if only for a few minutes.

PM sent.

I like Flu and Corinthians. I think Flu is playing very well, especially given that they were able to take all 3 points in Sao Paulo last weekend. Corinthians should be disappointed enough by that loss to be up for this game, and have home field against Vasco.
If Corinthians can do it, they should meet Santos, as you have feared all along. Having said that, is Neymar with the national side, or is he playing tomorrow night?

I may have to see if I can catch either one of those matched online, if only for a few minutes.

PM sent.

Yes. Flu x Corinthians this past weekend was an awful game - not because we lost - but because both teams played like crap. I'm not too upset over it as it was the first game of the league and there's something a bit more important going on (lol, Libertadores). I think we can get through Vasco tonight. Flu has a tougher one if you ask me.

Neymar won't be with the national team this week, nor will Ganso. I also think they will beat Velez Sarsfield, but hey, I still have my hopes. Tomorrow night, as much as I *love* watching Ganso-Neymar play, I'm hermano and not Santista... hahaha

www.firstrowsports.eu for the matches

And thanks for the PM.

I know this is late, but Bayern pulled the biggest choke job since Arsenal blew a three goal lead against Newcastle in 2011. Those boys will NEVER live that down. That said, Chelsea played hard when it mattered most, and steeled up in the clutch. Kudos to them.

I know this is late, but Bayern pulled the biggest choke job since Arsenal blew a three goal lead against Newcastle in 2011. Those boys will NEVER live that down. That said, Chelsea played hard when it mattered most, and steeled up in the clutch. Kudos to them.

The players will be fine - it's the fans that may not forget for a long time.

On that note - Bayern played a friendly yesterday against most of the Dutch Euro 2012 squad - in Munich. When Arjen Robben was substituted into the match for the Dutch, he received loud whistling from the Bayern fans every time he touched the ball.

That is rough treatment. I don't much like the guy, but....ouch.