Moshing + Braces?

BDMW96

New Metal Member
May 3, 2019
So I have been thinking something over in my head for the past few months and im torn on the decision. I got braces a few months ago and I have a festival I plan on going to at the end of July. Now I am the type of dude who goes to a metal show/festival and also aims for the pit.

I love moshing and cant fully enjoy music without releasing all my energy to every single song. I have heard horror stories with braces where people get knocked in the mouth and end up getting their lips cut open or actually get a hole through the lip because the brackets tore into the flesh. I am not too concerned if I pop a bracket or get a minor cut, If I get something that requires stitching or mangle my braces thats a whole different ball game.

Either way I will most likely end up jumping in the pit. I will buy a mouth guard for the festival but wish i dont have to because wearing those suck. Anyone here have expereince with pits and having braces? Is there nothing to get all too concerned about?

Most of the posters here are old enough our mosh pit days are long over. That being said I’ve been elbowed in the face by some fucking chud moshing when I was on the outskirts of a pit. A mouth full of expensive dental worth getting mashed by some drunk asshole is definitely worth considering I’d say.

Reactions: EspaDa and CiG
DENTAL PLAN
200_s.gif

Reactions: CiG
Most of the posters here are old enough our mosh pit days are long over.

You are only as old as you think you are. Im in my 30s like most guys here and still mosh like I always have. Granted I know some guys that post here are quite a bit older (ill grant them the grandfather pass), but you don't have to be college-aged to have a good time in the pit.

As for whether OP should take his chances, well, maybe not. But if I were in that situation id probably not hold back myself. Pit injuries happen, but more often than not I escape with no more than a few bruises. I guess it sounds kind of gay, but using a mouth guard during the sets might not be a bad idea. I could only imagine how easily you can get torn up even by a gentle tap to the face, and you will definitely thank yourself later for taking the precaution. Like CiG said, you could always make it a prop. Get a red one and use a black sharpie to make it look metal as fuck.

Ive had my share of pit injuries (got hardware in my left ankle to prove it), and I don't regret a single one. But if I had braces and fucked up my face because I failed to plan ahead, id probably regret that one. What festival is it btw?

You are only as old as you think you are. Im in my 30s like most guys here and still mosh like I always have. Granted I know some guys that post here are quite a bit older (ill grant them the grandfather pass), but you don't have to be college-aged to have a good time in the pit.

As for whether OP should take his chances, well, maybe not. But if I were in that situation id probably not hold back myself. Pit injuries happen, but more often than not I escape with no more than a few bruises. I guess it sounds kind of gay, but using a mouth guard during the sets might not be a bad idea. I could only imagine how easily you can get torn up even by a gentle tap to the face, and you will definitely thank yourself later for taking the precaution. Like CiG said, you could always make it a prop. Get a red one and use a black sharpie to make it look metal as fuck.

Ive had my share of pit injuries (got hardware in my left ankle to prove it), and I don't regret a single one. But if I had braces and fucked up my face because I failed to plan ahead, id probably regret that one. What festival is it btw?

Heavy Montreal up here in the poutine capital. They got Slayer and Ghost as festival headliners but im more excited to see bands like Knocked Loose, Hatebreed, Killswitch. They also got the Summer Slaughter Tour joining in on the fun again this year, hopefully with a better lineup lol (Osiris was pretty dope tho). Going to have to tone it down with knocked loose and hatebreed, I enjoy their energy but their pits are a death sentence for my mouth, hardcore dancers + braces are not a good combination. Still might jump in the pit for a quick minute for a few songs.

Still might jump in the pit for a quick minute for a few songs.

Depending on the crowd and the type of moshing you want to do (granted you don't want to just do spin kicks like a faggot), then id recommend against it. Learned my lesson at a Skinless show not to try and start a mosh when the majority of the moshers are hardcore "dancers". I got crowd killed with a backhanded fist to the eye and couldn't see straight for a week (split eyebrow too, but eyes = important). Once I see the flailing limbs and spin kicks, I opt to stand back and let the kids do their thing now.

As for that fest, Demolition Hammer and Dying Fetus are the true highlights, and possibly Metal Church if they are still playing a classic setlist. I bet they all get overshadowed with an early/short set in light of the bigger names. Not a good lineup tbh. Slayer should have a good pit though.

Depending on the crowd and the type of moshing you want to do (granted you don't want to just do spin kicks like a faggot),

I am honestly not a huge fan of hardcore moshes. Just a bunch of kids looking for an excuse to take out their pent up insecurities on everyone around them. The hardcore moshing itself is not too bad (except for the spin kicks and karate kids) as long as you are aware of your surrounding. I enjoy the more classic shoving, bumping shoulders kind of mosh and circle pits. Im iffy on walls of death aftyer last year, im a small 5'8 dude so standing on the front lines gets me knocked on my ass and dogpiled on

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
When I had braces I usually avoided pits, walls of death, and the like. Your face, and more importantly your jaw, is definitely more important than wallowing in the pit, which I'm sure you'll get to do lots of times after your braces are gone.

You are only as old as you think you are. Im in my 30s like most guys here and still mosh like I always have.

Tbh I've never really been interested in the pit. Seeing a drunk insufferable metal girl get speared into the stage for punching people in the face at a TBDM concert was pretty amusing though. I'm at that point now that super loud music makes my ears ring for days. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go to a metal concert again without wearing earplugs. That's a sad realization but @Slayed Necros 's situation scares the shit out of me tbh. Getting shitfaced at a bluegrass concert is fun and all but it's just not the same.

Tbh I've never really been interested in the pit. Seeing a drunk insufferable metal girl get speared into the stage for punching people in the face at a TBDM concert was pretty amusing though. I'm at that point now that super loud music makes my ears ring for days. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go to a metal concert again without wearing earplugs. That's a sad realization but @Slayed Necros 's situation scares the shit out of me tbh. Getting shitfaced at a bluegrass concert is fun and all but it's just not the same.

What's the Slayer Necros situation? I have to catch up on the forum news.

What's the Slayer Necros situation? I have to catch up on the forum news.

His hearing damage has become so severe that he cant listen to metal any more.

I've finally accepted that I have to give up the majority of metal for sanity's sake. My hearing is getting so bad that it doesn't make much sense to keep clinging on. I might keep posting in the non-metal polls but just being around it is frustrating.

Holy fuck, that's some awful information. I wouldn't know what to do were I him. That's just terrible; losing the faculty of hearing might be my greatest fear.

Well, to each his own. If the urge to mosh never grabbed you (I moshed at my first metal show at the young age of 15 because I just felt compelled), that is fine. Enjoy the show however you want, but for someone like me moshing is an integral part of the concert experience and I can't imagine saying that ill never do it again. Satanstonail is in his 40s iirc and he still moshes (im pretty damn sure of it), so he still has the bug too.

As for the hearing issue, I get it. It's a huge deal, and honestly I don't know what would compel ANY metal fan to go to even a single concert without plugs. I wear them to every show and have even been throwing them in during sound check these days. Get a decent pair with some filters and the sound quality isnt even compromised. I have a pair of Etymotic plugs I wear to every show. Im guessing that some people with hearing damage may require the high decibel reduction of foamies though, which really does muddy up the sound. Ive been fortunate to have preserved my ears up to this point and have no hearing damage to speak of yet. Seeing TB and Slayed Necros discuss their horror stories has definitely scared me quite a bit too. Ive been to hundreds of shows, so I guess my earplugs are doing the job. Quite honestly I now think the music sounds better with my plugs in.

At least it's not a GG Allin show where you get beaten up, feces thrown at you and your girlfriend gets molested. Just protect your mouth with a guard and have some fun.