Moshing

Risquit

Sep 16, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
My first heavy Opeth show will be this month. I'm wondering how the moshing is at their shows. I don't mosh so much anymore (must be getting old :) ). Am I going to have to stand in back?

e
Risquit said:
My first heavy Opeth show will be this month. I'm wondering how the moshing is at their shows. I don't mosh so much anymore (must be getting old :) ). Am I going to have to stand in back?

Yeah, I really don't mosh much at all anymore, i did when I was younger, but now I just go to shows to watch the show.

I've seen Opeth twice where I am in the front, and it seems that a lot of the people are there to actually see the band aswell. And it's usually the kids that end up moving their mosh pit a bit back, away from those in front trying to watch.

I'm guessing you'll have no problem remaining in the front watching the show. You may be pushed a few times unexpectedly. Sometimes the pit will work it's way to the front. It shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just from my experience, btw

Moshing can be fucking cool. When I saw Machine Head for the first time in 1995 or something, I completely lost it (they were one of my favourite bands back then)! I went mad! I had lots of space because of that! It's just a way to loose your energy or something.

But now Opeth are my favourite and I'm older and their music isn't really 'moshable' except for maybe Demon of the Fall. I really enjoy watching the show now and just bang my head off during the heavy parts. Their shows are really friendly I would say, everybody's nice and when the people mosh it only takes two minutes because the next acoustic part will arive. I was always (5 times) able to stand completely at the front without getting kicked in the face...

So no worries....be not afraid

Risquit said:

Crowd surfing is fun. But moshing is kinda stupid. What's the point in getting punched in the face for no reason?

DreamingofUr said:
I go to enjoy the band and music and not to punch or get punched.
Yeah same here. I don't mind if people mosh or whatever..as long as they're not hitting me or in my way during the concert cause I'm small and all, so I just stay away from it for the most part.

moshing to generic death-metal bands is fun, because they don't do anything special...therefore there is nothing to see. moshing at an opeth show is kind of stupid though. those guys are just great to watch. there music is not all about killing people. but for some reason, a lot of annoying idiots like to scream "death-metaaaaaaalllll!!!" in a cookie monster voice and continue moshing in the acoustic parts. those of you who saw the damnation tour probably know what i am talking about. yah, the ones who moshed during hope leaves and screamed "distortion!!!! distortion!!!! bring on the death!!!!!! you pussies!!!!"......

i can understand moshing to gay as fuck devil driver. cus their music is pointless. but keep that fucking moshing shit down to a minimum when opeth is on. I wanna fucking see the band.

P.S MOSHING IS FOR FAT ASSES WHO NEED EXCERSISE BUT FEAR A TREADMILL!

Caelum Adustum said:
Keep the moshing to the hardcore kiddies, it doesn't belong in metal.

no, they throw their arms wildly about as if they were having a horrible seizure....

Skanking is fuckin' fun, though.

I would skank at a ska show, but not mosh. I'm not into hurting people. It's just not fun for me. I like to watch.

DT/Queensryche was awesome. 1500 people standing and shouting along to music. You could see people's eyes bulging as they watched Petrucci and Myung's fingers.