Moshing

oh for god's sake, mosh pits aren't that hard to avoid. If you don't like them, avoid them. If someone wants to mosh, let them. I see nothing wrong in moshing during the more energetic sections. It's just another way of showing support for the band. Shit, I moshed occasionally to Opeth when I saw them last. (Mikael promoted it for demon of the fall, even.)

I can see why some people might get annoyed at people moshing, but seriously, get over it!

There is nothing more amazing than feeling so fucking great during the climax of a song that you go fucking nuts and start screaming until you lose your voice and jump your ass off. So you get hit a few times, boo hoo. I admit that I would probably watch more opeth than mosh to it at a show, but if people want to go nuts, go for it I say. I'll probably join in if i saw people mosing at an opeth show, its part of the energy, part of the vibe of the music.

/rant

I don't think this thread was really about "do you or do you not like moshing", so I will answer Risquit's question based on California gigs.

@Risquit - I am assuming you will go to the Cane's show in San Diego. If you do, I went last year. By ANY and ALL means, do NOT get anywhere near the front! You will get killed. It is insanely squishy up there and a LOT of moshing and/or pushing and/or crowdsurfing people there. Basically, you are fucked at any gig in California, it is ALWAYS brutal, except when they did the acoustic gigs. Cane's was bad. You could, however, stand near the front, but be on the right side of the stage (when you are looking at the stage). That part wasn't too bad at all, just lots of people. If you want to be able to see the band at all, I suggest you get in the club and in the front EARLY. Just an FYI, Cane's will NOT let you re-enter the club (in other words, no ins/outs). I have gotten SEVERELY injured at more than one Opeth gig (and a whole shitload more gigs without Opeth), so let that be something that helps you decide where to stand as well. I won't get into the moshing/crowdsurfing argument.

NapalmForLunch said:
Staying up front is much tougher than moshing. It's funny when people "SIKC PITS!!11!". Bumping into a bunch of people makes you tough.

:wave: :wave: :wave: Hi NFL!!!!! Long time no see. :loco:

I totally absoultely positively COMPLETELY agree with your comment. And I am one who is totally determined to stay up there (if there is no photo pit) because otherwise I cannot shoot the show or see the band.

right

i dont have a problem with moshers, im saying they should respect other people. i got a birds eye view of a metal gig recently (was on a balcony) and there was a moshpit. the amount of people getting pissed off was quite surprising. ive seen people drag other people into the pit as well.

its just all retarded.

as for avoiding a pit... surely, eye, you are intelligent enough to work out that a pit has an edge. and at this edge, there will be people moshing meeting people who dont want to mosh.

doesnt take a genius to figure that one out.

for some people, avoiding the pit isnt an option. and anyway, why should they have to move just cause you wanna be retarded? its a music concert, not a riot ffs.

jinks said:
if you're not a pussy you will be able to stay at the front.. most opeth fans arent very big ;)

oh yeah.. adn those of you who dont like moshing.. stop crying its a fucking metal show. go sit in your seat if yo udont like it.

WORD!!!

eye said:
oh for god's sake, mosh pits aren't that hard to avoid. If you don't like them, avoid them. If someone wants to mosh, let them. I see nothing wrong in moshing during the more energetic sections. It's just another way of showing support for the band. Shit, I moshed occasionally to Opeth when I saw them last. (Mikael promoted it for demon of the fall, even.)

YOU ARE THE ONLY SANE PERSON OVER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU A GIRL?????

tHEN YOU'RE COOL...

*whoracle* said:
I can see why some people might get annoyed at people moshing, but seriously, get over it!

There is nothing more amazing than feeling so fucking great during the climax of a song that you go fucking nuts and start screaming until you lose your voice and jump your ass off. So you get hit a few times, boo hoo. I admit that I would probably watch more opeth than mosh to it at a show, but if people want to go nuts, go for it I say. I'll probably join in if i saw people mosing at an opeth show, its part of the energy, part of the vibe of the music.

/rant

YOU'RE THE SECOND SANE PERSON!!

THIRD AFTER ME............

I'm bringing a couple of girls, so we'll probably kick it on the balcony or by the bar. I expected moshing during Devil Driver, but not Opeth, so thanks for the heads up. Oh, and now I remember the worst pit ever...Suffocation...bruuutal!

Squeak said:
I don't think this thread was really about "do you or do you not like moshing", so I will answer Risquit's question based on California gigs.

@Risquit - I am assuming you will go to the Cane's show in San Diego. If you do, I went last year. By ANY and ALL means, do NOT get anywhere near the front! You will get killed. It is insanely squishy up there and a LOT of moshing and/or pushing and/or crowdsurfing people there. Basically, you are fucked at any gig in California, it is ALWAYS brutal, except when they did the acoustic gigs. Cane's was bad. You could, however, stand near the front, but be on the right side of the stage (when you are looking at the stage). That part wasn't too bad at all, just lots of people. If you want to be able to see the band at all, I suggest you get in the club and in the front EARLY. Just an FYI, Cane's will NOT let you re-enter the club (in other words, no ins/outs). I have gotten SEVERELY injured at more than one Opeth gig (and a whole shitload more gigs without Opeth), so let that be something that helps you decide where to stand as well. I won't get into the moshing/crowdsurfing argument.

PUSSY.......

Squeak said:
:wave: :wave: :wave: Hi NFL!!!!! Long time no see. :loco:

I totally absoultely positively COMPLETELY agree with your comment. And I am one who is totally determined to stay up there (if there is no photo pit) because otherwise I cannot shoot the show or see the band.

can't you talk about something else than taking fucking pictures????

if you don't like moshing don't mosh... just get at the very front or as close as you can. mosh pits are usually in the center. you can go to the back, but the front is better, but be warned you will be bumped around a bit as well.

I go to a show to listen to music not to watch my girlfriend get hit in the head by a poser with a spiked bracelet.

Its the whole teen angst, there is nothing about pushing and touching other men that makes me excited or appreciate the show more.
Opeth is more emotional then "I hate my parents" I want to suck the devil tit" music. It doesn't make sense to mosh at a opeth show. Go beat up your angst ridden friends at home but dont do it at a show, its lame and I really dont like the look of blood coming of my girlfriends head because you "had" to wear the 14 dollar spike trendy wear goth gear to a show.

Although everyone else is right, if you dont like it sit in the back but sometimes you can help but to get the boot or fist in your face. Yes I am the asshole who hits you in your neck when you "mosh me". Fuck you, dont touch me is my motto :)
As I say it with a smile so my post isn't taken negatively.

Dont you think its more respectfull to have a hundred people stare with a jaw droped at your music then have a bunch of 15 year olds moshing?
Maybe thats me

Reactions: ChrisEmerson