Most Anticipated Releases for 2008

That bastard. Further proof he's taken over the band's musical direction. It's no longer a band that he's in, it's his project.

Regardless, Oystein did say the new album would be darker than previous, which isn't hard to do, considering their return to metal after the acoustic album. But I doubt they can recapture the glory of the Garm/Vortex eras.

Vintersorg has 5 projects I think, so there is probably hardly any time for Borknagar. I know Oystein writes most of the music anyway, and Mr V contributes to some music and vocal lines, but it's Oysteins band. They need to tour more, but Mr V is always so busy with his other projects he's probably one of the reasons why they are not a full time band.

Im seeing some good stuff people, Ive added to my list and its freakin huge.

Darkthrone seem to put an album out every year, and Fenriz said one is in the works now....

Q: The album name ("F.O.A.D.") has a somewhat punk vibe to it, so what punk elements do you feel this album incorporates?

Fenriz: "There's much more punk on 'The Cult Is Alive' (2006), and this one has more heavy metal in it. The punk elements have been with every DARKTHRONE album except 'Soulside Journey' (1990), our first album. We learnt from our mistake on that album — for that one, we went to a metal studio. Arrrgh. Our punk element is our nasty demo sound quality, which we have always had. Also, many of our non symphonic riffs have a punk vibe to them. We are metalpunk; it's a small genre, but important none the less. VENOM, MOTÖRHEAD and CELTIC FROST were the most important metalpunk bands in the Eighties, and thus the most important period."

Q: Is there anything written or recorded for the next album? If so, what can you reveal about them?
Fenriz: "We record the first tracks for our next album in thirteen days from now, which'll be a Saturday (October 27). My song is called 'Hiking Metal Punx'; it has one MÖTORHEAD-style riff, one NWOBHM/speed metal riff and also a punk/IRON MAIDEN-style riff. It's the way PUKE from Sweden would do it, I guess (check out that band, who are my fave Swedish Eighties punk band)."

Q: "A Blaze in the Northern Sky" is commonly cited as a classic, influential record in the black metal genre, so what are your thoughts upon that?

Fenriz: "I just did an entire interview with Norwegian national radio based on that question yesterday. That album has a lot of death metal riffs on it, but all the fools don't hear it because of the following: it looks like black metal, and the sound is black metal. It isn't pure in any way though, as we seldom do pure albums. We didn't have totalitarian thinking in this band, other than on "Under A Funeral Moon". Totalitarian thinking is bad, but maybe good for certain albums. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA."

Q: Do you feel that it (the "Transilvanian Hunger" controversy) gave detractors of metal music an opportunity to admonish DARKTHRONE as a racist group, when in fact DARKTHRONE are not such a group? What are your thoughts?

Fenriz: "People hate us all the time, so it's common. Doing popular things such as big flashy music videos, like those NIGHTWISH does, kills metal. Extremeties, on the other hand, don't kill metal in the long run. The racist thing isn't even an issue in our world, namely the metal world. In the metal world, Jesus has no power and it's truly global. Fight the narrrow minded fools!!!"

Q: How do you feel DARKTHRONE in 2007 differs to DARKTHRONE in 1987? How do you feel the band differs from twenty years ago?

Fenriz: "Not much. Actually, the songs we make now are closest to our song 'Snowfall' from 1988! We make music now that we could've made in 1988 if we'd actually had the know-how at the time, and the experience."

the only ones im really looking forward to heaving are nevermore, kalmah, maybe another devin townsend record(?), borknagar if it happens, jeff loomis and warrel dane respective solo albums, hopefully cannibal corpse

Yeah, I read that interview. I think it was the most interesting interview the band has done in well over a decade, being more open and upfront about the realities of the early years, especially in the comment about the first Black Metal album being heavily influenced by Death Metal. The Autopsy influence just drips out of that album, but this fact seems to be largely ignored.

Cannibal Corpse are supposed to be writing a new album soon, so a 2008 release is probable. They tend to release an album every two years in any case.

Considering how good Kill was, I imagine it's going to be absolutely fantastic.

Solomon Kane
The Gates Of Slumber
Altar Of Oblivion
Weird Light
Drowned
Corrupt (depending on whether or not it's out before the end of the year)
Necrovation (ditto)
Bloody Sign
Degial
Eviscerated
Saram
Bloodstone (reissue)
God Macabre (reissue)
Cauterizer (reissue)
Pagan Altar (hopefully)
Warning (hopefully)
Hell (reissue)
The Lamp Of Thoth