Most brilliant WD vocal moments.

RETIREDTrapped

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2001
After my Beyond Within thread, i decided to throw on my nevermore cd's, and kick back and have a read of the lyrics... and i have come to the conclusion that Warrel Dane is quite a brilliant Lyricist, and should have some of his stuff published out of nevermore (what happened to the DNB book dude? that would have been killer! You would have sold thousands of them!), just like Chuck Schuldiner's stuff was published in Iran.

One of my favourite lyrical moments of nevermore is from 42147, although reading the lyrics themselves doesn't quite work, it only seems to acheive brilliance within the context of the song. I love the "Daydream Fluid Thoughts" section, it is sheer brilliance. The only thing i would have done differently, would be him saying in a really deep voice, just after "I take this fateful ride", "through my mind..." that would have been killer :headbang:

I am throes of my denial
Logic in me crumbles
I take this fateful ride
Through my mind

Daydream fluid thoughts
Washing shores of warm confusion
I'm one with this beautiful disorder

Another world, wasthis the transition?
Slowly I returned to the familiar
Spiralling in costant flux
What have I created?

The experiment is over

Another cool Politics moment is The Learning. The lyrics to that are just mind boggling. I have no idea what the guy is babbling about, but he is the master of endless complexification through lyricism... I especially love the growl, the "Searching the WAVES of memory", ha ha, that's nuts. The bit i love the most is "I am conscious antithesis of flesh... in genetic algorithmic thought I surge" and the other section that goes "Isomorphic structure of mind, cellular automata, processed life", like i said, i have hella no idea whatsoever what he's going on about, but it totally rules, it's confusing, and yet it makes sense... "Isomorphic structure of mind" is very intreaguing.

"We Disintegrate" is also a very cool song, and the lyrics totally rule. "within the dark communion of self awareness, there lies a void called ego. An endless fusion of stillness and chaos, to bring its death can bring rebirth". Very politics style lyrics actually, it's like the guy is on a permanent lyrical trip, a constant stream of crazy words spewing from his mind.

One of my favourite sanctuary songs is Long Since Dark, LSD, very cool... "The diamonds dance in nocturnal symphony" ... I also love One More Murder, it's an awesome song, the chorus absolutely rules... the lyrics are just downright cool, especially for that era of lyricism,

Little boy turns to man with a weapon when
he's poisoned with crack
This time it was his turn to dies
Fate call his number in a bloody goodbye

Very cool.

Warrel Dane is one of my favourite lyricists... Some of my favourite lines:

--------

Choking on the influx of technology
I realize the politics of ecstacy

--------

Flesh is the parasite, flesh is the fault
we are embodiment of all the world's wrongs
No time to look back, we are gone
No time to regret the seeds we've thrown away

--------

You are forever in my heart, you never died
You are forever, I still wonder where you are
I know you're dreaming neon black...

--------

The victim who self-crucifies can't realize
Christ is a weapon that chisels out our lives
Deconstruction
The martyr takes his aim and wounds the holy man
And on the eightth day, God made the art of war
And, laughing, planned the end

--------

And the passenger pauses to see his mistakes
For with nothing to follow he'd lived all his life in vain
But then, who here among us is without shame?

--------

Why should I come down?
From here I can see forever!

--------

Every night the dream is the same
I sit here waiting for the world to end but it never ends
Everything I used to be has spiralled into insanity
Every night I sweat and bleed in her name

--------

We sing into the sky on the production line
We are the holy swine, impurity defined
You can't ignore us anymore
You cannot judge us anymore

--------

To see the last survivor fall
To see their bastard sons against the wall
To see the emptiness as we decay
I see the world is dead, I am betrayed

We take the hand of fate in vain, and wonder why your will
Seems cruel controlled and illogical
Do words fall on deaf ears, are we just too small?
Please make us understand

The media machine knows what to do
It knows how to feed the poison to you
Useless information for your useless little lives
The tv lies and pacifies
Do you believe everything you see?
Children of the void come follow me
Denounce your faith and penance the savior is unseen
I am the new drug, your poison godmachine....poison

No more will to live, I see the world fade
No more hope inside, my life means nothing anyway
Just shades of gray, I slip away again

Innocent people suffer the loss
Lost hope with faith to the cross
Sometimes, you just don't know
How low... how low you can go...
Show some sympathy
Low... Low... show some mercy...
(Testament lyrics, sorry)

holy are the wicked into the white
cast into purgatory all must face the light
crucifix and serpentine
condemned before the law
domination of the anarch
crucifix will fall
persecuted subservient to tyrany
witness to thyne own elegy
execution of the deed
unlamented sympathies
assassins led by blasphemy
buried without thyn dignity

hmm, i like these ones the best:

"Can i be your personal demon..sit back absorb the words and feast on my mind's semen"

"The sheep are made to follow, choke back the puke and swallow
the sheep are told to divide.. the engines of hate still grind" (this one makes me go nuts, when i hear it)!! because it's so true!

"in my psychotic karmic fear, i own your tears anyway, and i am you...and we are not afraid"

"Nevermore to feel the pain"

"The lunatic never falls"

"why should i come down..from here i can see forever"

"Who here among us is without shame"

We build our walls ..around our games..we decompose, dreamers never really die"

Ok, there are more.. the most "wicked" ones, were already mentioned. It's food for thought and addictive as hell!
Ah..Warrel and his "witty" mind....:err:

xxx Iris xxx

1. Optimist or Pessimist
"If you want to change the world, forget it. The pigs already set it."
2. Matricide
"So foolish, men who say that they don't care; They'll be gone anyway. Think of our little ones, for whom the world has just begun...."
3. In Memory
"Maybe I've gone too far on one of my turns; But no one can take away what I've already learned; Memory lives in shadow, nevermore will I blame; And I swear 'till the end of my days I'll not forget one moment (of pain)."
4. Silent Hedges/ Double Dare
I tried listening to the Bauhaus oiriginals, but they were a little TOO goth for me. Warrel's voice is godly on this double-cover. Clock! Clock! Clock! Clock!!
5. "Here I am, body and soul; flesh and blood, on this stage I play my role; No, there's no time left for gazing at the sky; No, there's no time left, kiss the wind goodbye"
"Fly me away on the wings of a dove; To the temple of knowledge we can fly; Smiling inside, peace so clear; One with the all, one within mind...."

Spiritual zen. That's what the Sorrowed Man is to me. :Smokedev:

You cannot judge us anymore >>>

never gone behind that....who is we and who is you?

Originally posted by [KOTNO]Narrot
You cannot judge us anymore >>>

never gone behind that....who is we and who is you?

we = the people
you = the government

???

I must say Warrel's lyric's have depth. What sets him above many is his ability to think outside the norm. Many claim he doesn't have a wonderful voice but when you REALLY listen and absorb his words you hear nothing else. One of my fav's must be the infamous DUH!!!

Why the others are total ripoff's....and know jack shit. Power vox thats what its all about in the metal world...

..is coming down, to steal your mind. I know hardly anyone seems to dig the first album (except you, mags, think it's brilliant and I friggin' agree) but shitty recording values aside, it had some of the best vocal moments.

"Don't be afraid to dream outside the lines...."

The first cd is great... and so is sanctuary... it's just not their greatest cd... I do agree tho, there are so choice lyrics and vocal stylings on st

"The Media machine knows what to do.. it knows how to feed the poison in you...."

"Fate is cruel when dreams like candles fade"

"And I still believe in nothing, will we ever see the cure for our sorrow"

"And the passenger pauses to see his mistakes, for with nothing to follow he'd lived all his life in vain"

"Feel the flow and let all thoughts fade, we shall be one for this sacrament has begun"

"welcome millenium, the fall of planet hate, welcome the end my friend, all the world's the stage, welcome to the future, the world is black no turning, from the consequence of ignorance, welcome to the fall"

"could you see tomorrow If I took away your eyes ?? "