Most disappointing albums 2009

Xasthur was shit, although I didn't exactly have high expectations. Much prefer the song-based albums rather than the noisy/soundscape ones.

Eluveitie was very, very average. Only a couple of great songs on there.

Mystic Prophecy was meh.

the Nine Inch Nails material on the tour split is terrible, so ridiculously bland.

that's probably all though, it's been a great year so far.

Everything I've played since hearing Stone's Reach :p
On a serious note, I've heard so little new music I'm a retro vintage specimen of human being.
It comes from not having internet/car/money.

Malevolent Grain EP... Big heaping disappointment.

Drudhk's Microcosms was pretty good, but was still a disappointment.

New Xasthur SUCKED... Big fucking waste of my money!

I agree with the Code statement.

Oh and I haven't actually heard it yet but I hear that the new Mars Volta is... Pop??? I find that monumentally disappointing... :(

Sepultura - A-lex
Wolfchant - Determined Damnation
Samael - Above

...and i'll probably get ripped to pieces for this, but Stone's Reach was dissapointing after TFT. In no way is it anything less than great, but the long progressive patches are inferior to the mastery shown on their debut. Just my opinion.
Here come the negs...

Im finding alot of music's getting disappointing by the years, its such a shame everything is silding into ' death, Not just metal..

Its sad really..'

Maybe its just peoples expectations idk but whatever it is im finding myself listening to alot of OLD stuff music wise..

/ Just me personally

Its definately a change of style!!

Omg your kidding, im too scared to give em a listen now after reading this -.-
(yonks since ive gave em a good head ( banging) to lol ;)

...and i'll probably get ripped to pieces for this, but Stone's Reach was dissapointing after TFT. In no way is it anything less than great, but the long progressive patches are inferior to the mastery shown on their debut. Just my opinion.
Here come the negs...

Everyone's entitled to their opinion man, so it's all good. ;)

Personally I think that the performances and production are so many lightyears better than TFT that even if one considered the songwriting about the same those things alone would make Stone's Reach far more enjoyable for most.

I was definitely really impressed by Stone's Reach. Definitely a step forward from TFT in my opinion.

Of course as soon as you release more than 1 album, you're always going to have fans that prefer 1 over the other, and that's never going to be universal, that's just the way it is. :)

As much as I love black metal, I'm finding just an influx of mush and my god is it deep...just to find something solid...

If you like sludge metal, Cobalt's "Gin" is a black/sludge album which has really impressed me. Other good BM albums from '09:
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes
Panopticon - Collapse
Blut aus Nord - Dialogue With the Stars
Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow