Most disappointing albums 2009

1349 hasn't really impressed me this year...

Xasthur was shit, although I didn't exactly have high expectations. Much prefer the song-based albums rather than the noisy/soundscape ones.

Seconded on both of these.

I really think Malefic has lost it. Both Defective Epitaph and All Reflections Drained have been poor releases, very half hearted and unfocused imo. I personally believe he has achieved what he can with his style and needs to move on to something new, it's not like he's a crap composer, he's shown he can do fantastic stuff.

So far the most disappointing album for me has been Black Cascade by Wolves in the Throne Room.

I'm sure I'm going to annoy some people here, but since their debut this band is the trendite USBM band along with Nachtmystium ... Although I feel almost all USBM is trendite anyway).

Everything WITTR have done is non-descript and lacking in character to seperate them from the rest of the pack. USBM-wise they're different, but overall? No. Not worth the blink of an eye. It's elevator music.

are you nuts? i've been loving that, big step up over malevolent grain, now that was a disappointment!

Nah, MG is a two song EP, so it's going to suffer for shortness, but it's catchy and running through my head (admittedly that's because I just listened to it after waking up, and I went to sleep with it running...)

Haven't heard Black Cascade yet.

1349 was disappointing. I'm tired of bands thinking great swathes of ambient sound with nothing happening makes for good music. Maybe once or twice on an album, but ... jeez.