Most disturbing Katatonia songs?

Mantraschism

Skáld
Oct 23, 2002
Augusta, GA (Lost in the Twilight Hall)
I think that Katatonia has some really disquieting songs, and I love it. I think these are some of their most unsettling songs:

Funeral Wedding
Shades of Emerald Fields
Epistel
A Darkness Coming
Black Session
Don't Tell A Soul
Sleeper
Will I Arrive?
Inside The City Of Glass (more than the rest)

And while we're at it, which album do you think has the most unsettling lyrics?

For me, it's either Tonight's Decision or Viva Emptiness. Probably TD.

mh...we must bury you is actually a nice song,but that song doesnt fit into LFDGD!maybe they should have put it on the "tonights music ep" and replace that song for "o how i enjoy the light"??!!

disturbing pieces... i'd rather call them psychosis creations, some of them are oddly sick indeed.. Seven Dreaming Souls, Epistel, Tomb of Insomnia, This Punishment, A Darkness Coming, We Must Bury You, Untrue - just to name a few, those do appeal to me in a special way.
lyrically is TD forever condemned to that disturbing feeling.

Lyrically speaking I would have to agree that Tonights Decision takes the prize.There is some haunting shit in that CD. It holds special meaning to me because of the way my life was going at the time of its release. It still baffles me why so many Katatonia lovers find this CD to be their weakest CD or even to speak againt it as a whole. I dwelled in that CD for about 8-9 months solid.

Oh yeah, Rob M.- Did I write sucks ass? I meant kicks ass. :)
Cool

Sweet Nurse to me is about as disturbing as hot chocolate. Why do you say that?
Anywho, I would have to say the most disturbing Katatonia songs to me are:

Epistel
12/Black Erotica
Inside The Fall
Black Session
The fadeout piece that closes Tonight's Decision
Sleeper
Inside The City of Glass

Seven Dreaming Souls
Epistel
This Punishment
We must bury you
A darkness coming
No good can come of this
Scarlet heavens
Nightmares by the sea
..maybe i have the wrong understanding for 'disturbing',i'll rather use the word 'sick'..'ailing'..for the songs,that i have named...

pistol_pete said:
yeah buckley was amazing:worship:

and he's amazing still!

his music didn't stop to grown on me for all that time, it's more than a charm. as he had said once:
"It's a low-down dreamy bit of the psyche. It's part quagmire and part structure. The quagmire's important for things to grow in...do you ever have one of those memories where you think you remember a taste or a feel of something...maybe an object...but the feeling is so bizarre and imperceptible that you just can't quite get a hold of it? It drives you crazy. That's my musical aesthetic...just this imperceptible fleeting memory. The beauty of it now is that I can record it onto a disc or play it live. It's entirely surreal. It's like there's a guard at the gate of your memory and you're not supposed to remember certain things because you can only obtain the full experience by completely going under its power. You can be destroyed or scarred...you don't know...it's like dying."

:worship:

sometimes this feeling is more than scary,the thought that somebody completely unknown can dive so deep into the own soul..it's just amaising how they express the whole palette of the feelings,that are so deeply hidden in the gashs...
...gone,i'm sorry for you,but you'll find the way..

"Dont tell a soul" and "gone" are the most disturbing Katatonia-songs for me. The lines ; "when you have noone, noone can hurt you" gives me the creeps everytime I listen to LFDGD... Kinda personal, but still ...

"We Must Bury You" is by far the most disturbing Katatonia song ever, I mean, it's about killing someone... but as a former meth-addict who remembers times when I was so fucked up I wasn't even breathing, I identify widely with songs such as "Complicity", "Brave", "Help Me Disappear" and "Deadhouse". I've been there, so depressed and alone, so mind-fucked, at such depths most people would never be able to fathom... holes punched in walls, bruised knuckles and bathrooms that looked like the cover of Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I also think the lyrics "city of glass" refer to crystal meth, which is also known as glass.

EvilVince said:
"We Must Bury You" is by far the most disturbing Katatonia song ever, I mean, it's about killing someone...

Umm, have you ever heard about symbolism? That song could be for example a confession by someone who used to be part of a group teasing somebody at school. "Bury you" could refer to putting one's shameful actions aside without really dealing with them and so on. I don't say the song is about that, just one of countless possibilities. I'd guess it's about behaving wrong towards someone in a way or another.