Most Moving Lyrics

In the literal sense, it's just draperies falling. But metaphorically it represents the closing of a love. Which makes sense, since the song is about a guy who keeps getting pulled back into a loveless relationship. Perhaps she's using sex as a focal point for a doomed relationship. Whatever it means, it's probably my favorite song ever.

Æsahættr;6292841 said:
"Slight twist, shivering corpse. Ornated with water, fills the cracks
Clapsed in the lims of my tradition, this is all you need."

"Your body is mine to avail, such a tragic sight you are.
Slave, under my creed. Spurring me with those tears."

I personally can't believe no one took anything from Harlequin Forest:

"There falls another
Vapor hands released the blade
Insane regrets at the drop
Instruments of death before me
Lose all to save a little
At your peril it's justified
And dismiss your demons
As death becomes a jest
You are the laughing stock
Of the absinthe minded
Confessions stuck in your mouth
And long gone fevers reappear"

Perhaps no one chose these lyrics to Harlequin Forest because they didnt consider demonic possesion and murder/death as "moving" topics, lol.

I think the most moving lyrics for me are the last two lines of Morningrise, on possibly one of the greatest Opeth songs ever written. It just closes the album so perfectly.

Why cant you see that I try
When every tear I shed is for you?

Perhaps no one chose these lyrics to Harlequin Forest because they didnt consider demonic possesion and murder/death as "moving" topics, lol.

I think the most moving lyrics for me are the last two lines of Morningrise, on possibly one of the greatest Opeth songs ever written. It just closes the album so perfectly.

Why cant you see that I try
When every tear I shed is for you?

The concept of GR is my favourite one of the three they wrote. Occultism is a really great topic to write about..

Harlequin & The baying have fantastic lyrics, Atonement and Hours..too

Out on the road there are fireflies circling
Deep in the woods, where the lost souls hide
Over the hill there are men returning
Trying to find some peace of mind

Sleep my child

Under the fog there are shadows moving
Don't be afraid, hold my hand
Into the dark there are eyelids closing
Buried alive in the shifting sands

Sleep my child

Speak to me now and the world will crumble
Open a door and the moon will fall
All of your life, all your memories
Go to your dreams, forget it all

Sleep my child

The concept of GR is my favourite one of the three they wrote. Occultism is a really great topic to write about..

Harlequin & The baying have fantastic lyrics, Atonement and Hours..too

I must be misunderstanding the question. For me, in order to be "moved" by something I need to feel an emotional connection to it, agree with the meaning, or I can place myself in the situation thats described. A good example would be a person who feels lonely and depressed and is contemplating suicide may find the lyrics to "In my time of need" to be moving. Thankfully the Occult/Possesion and death are not two topics that I connect to in my life and I am not moved by them. Sure, I may be impressed at the depth of the lyrics and think thier cool, but this question asked for the most moving lyrics, not your personal favorite (although they may be the same). Admiring lyrics and being moved by them are two different things.

@Rocker, if you use your imagination you can place yourself into any situation. If everything was your typical stuff you could "connect" to life would be boring. Like how can you find a song about going to school or work moving? Sure you can see yourself in the situation, but what's the point of writing a song about something most people do everyday?

@Rocker, if you use your imagination you can place yourself into any situation. If everything was your typical stuff you could "connect" to life would be boring. Like how can you find a song about going to school or work moving? Sure you can see yourself in the situation, but what's the point of writing a song about something most people do everyday?

Thats a good point. I think the main thing is there has to be an emotional connection to it in order to find a song moving. Most of the time people have more emotions invested in something theyve encountered in their lives, but they can certainly have an emotional connection to something imagined as well. If someone really wants to escape their boring normal routine they may find a song about travelling to another world full of dragons and castles moving, but its more likely that their not moved because its something different but because it connects to the desire they have to go out and adventure and experience new things. A song can be completely full of imaginary places, creatures, etc, but if you dont feel an emotional connection to whatever the song is about you wont be moved. I personally dont feel like the lyrics to Harlequin Forest connect with me, but its not my place to say that whatever moves someone else is wrong. To each their own.

I see what you're saying, personally I don't think that whether you have experienced what the song is about or not has to do with how moving it is. It is about the emotion like you said. I find things that you have never done, but can imagine yourself doing to be more interesting in songwriting. The emotion is what makes it "moving" or not though.

Well in my original post I said, "in order to be "moved" by something I need to feel an emotional connection to it, agree with the meaning, or I can place myself in the situation thats described." The "or" means that there is more than one situation in which I can be moved by a song. Music is an artform. Just like any other artform what the listener experiences is subjective to what he or she enjoys so theres no right or wrong answer to what makes a song moving or not. Im only speaking from personal experience.

"The incoherent talk of ordinary days..."

"Spiralling to the ground below
Like Autumn leaves left in the wake to fade away
Waking up to your sound again
And lapse into the ways of misery "

Hm.. Many lyrics by opeth are very moving.. but for me the lyrics of "The Apostle in Triumph" are most moving..
for example:
"Rain is pouring down my (now) shivering shoulders
In the rain my tears are forever lost"
and
"Through the eternal flame I travel
As the rain keeps falling...."

Serenity Painted Death, when he kills them all!

Thus:

Darkness reared its head
Tearing within the reeling haze
Took control, claiming my flesh
Piercing rage, perfect tantrum
Each and every one would die at my hand
Choking in warm ponds of blood
At last, weak and torn, I went down
Drained from strength, flickering breath

Regards,
David Lingdell.