Most underrated COB song

You guys are confusing underrated with unpopular. Knuckleduster and Taste of my Scythe are both very highly rated songs. Those in the shadows and lobodomy votes.. I don't know. Both of them have some great parts in them but mostly shit.

Why wasn't Knuckleduster released on AYDY anyway?

That song is way underrated and a very good fucking song.

I don't know, I never tried that yet.

Because it was musically experimental and the record label wanted something exclusive for the Thrashed EP.

There are also overrated (popular) songs. HCDR is immensely overrated. It's the worst off the album.

If I remember right, Alexi once said that Knuckleduster doesn't really fit with the rest of the AYDY songs. Also Trashed shouldn't be on AYDY first but they needed one more song.

There was a good explanation on SOB but nobody has saved the content from this page. Maybe sleeper has...

I don't know, I never tried that yet.

I will also note that I say that as a guitarist, not just someone who listens to music.

Joonas I know you play guitar. Have a go at Lobodomy and you may find yourself thinking of that song differently. It's a really fun one IMO and challenging.

I thought it was decent the 1st time I heard, then once I learned it on guitar is when I really had a different opinion on it.

I will also note that I say that as a guitarist, not just someone who listens to music.

Joonas I know you play guitar. Have a go at Lobodomy and you may find yourself thinking of that song differently. It's a really fun one IMO and challenging.

I thought it was decent the 1st time I heard, then once I learned it on guitar is when I really had a different opinion on it.

I mean I never tried it as a fucking song. :lol: But I agree it's an interesting song and I like the weird atmosphere. It's a less superficial song on the album but there's depth in it. Sure there's weaknesses in the song too, some of it it seems like unnecessary noise. Never tried it on guitar either, but maybe I will. This year I've played guitar quite minimally tho, just not enough time for everything.

The most underrated songs are Hatebreeder, Taste Of My Scythe, Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood, Knuckleduster, Punch Me I Bleed.

Yes The Nail is my favorite COB song. It kind of has a punk/metal mix and a ton of energy. And the middle of the song sums up what COB means to me perfectly.

It's the most underrated from Something Wild.

Deadnight Warrior is the best song off SW for sure, but even that has a couple things that could've sounded way more epic. That guitar melody at the end of the verses is shyly hidden for no reason. The interlude solo thing should sound darker with a slower drum beat. And the vocal part after that should be empowered with a keyboard string background. A little slip from the greatness at the outro with the stupid ass low pitch vocals.

RLIME1 is musically a good track, I think the beginning riff is just fucking cool and creative and teeming with the original COB characteristic "atmospheric aggression." The balladic part that follows is equally great. But the low pitch vocals are more annoying than RRF vocals and they ruin the song experience.

RLIME2 just sucks I think.

Every song besides DNW and Lake Bodom on Something Wild are pretty shit overall. They lack an identity, random tempo switches, weird riffs, etc.. but they all at least have one or two really cool parts.

For example. Red Light 2 is a pretty shite song but it's got two great parts in it.

1) 41sec-1:02min is a really cool melody that doesn't stand out enough in the mix of the album.
2) 1:13min-1:22min nice little riff with Joonas keyboard.

It's so weird to me how DNW and Lake Bodom are written a million times better than the rest of the songs on the record. They're classics and well written the entire way through while the rest of the album is basically a random clusterfuck of classical, rock, and metal squished together with weird tempo changes and hooks.

I agree Exedo. Deadnight warrior is boring to me and Lake Bodom has possibly the greatest COB riff of all time and a great ending, but the rest of the song is pretty meh. The nail, Touch, Red Light pt 1, and In the shadows are brilliant. And it's funny what Norbix said because those 4 songs I just mentioned have great identity, awesome tempo switches, and "weirdly" beautiful riffs. All great songs.

I personally think that Lake Bodom is one of their most overrated songs, even though the chorus is pretty nice and the verse riff kicks balls. I'm probably going into Joonas-mode or something but I've always thought it would be pretty cool if they did Lake Bodom Part 2 or something like that, even though I don't like the original song. But I think it's pretty stupid to even think about that because the lake theme is totally absent on RRF.

I agree Exedo. Deadnight warrior is boring to me and Lake Bodom has possibly the greatest COB riff of all time and a great ending, but the rest of the song is pretty meh. The nail, Touch, Red Light pt 1, and In the shadows are brilliant. And it's funny what Norbix said because those 4 songs I just mentioned have great identity, awesome tempo switches, and "weirdly" beautiful riffs. All great songs.

I don't know man, opinions are opinions after all.. god knows people like some weird shit. It's like, with most of something wild you can take two or three riffs from the same song, play them separately to someone who's never listened to COB before and he/she would probably be surprised to learn it's from the same song.

There's a reason why even Alexi and the band themselves make fun of the album so much! I dunno, personally I think there's a lot of great ideas and riffs in there mixed in with some amateur song writing.

Black Widow from 0:45 to 1:49 is awesome. I'd just take the group shouts out and re-use that keyboard idea.

Wrath Within is only good for that melody solo thing in my opinion...

I guess underrated means "not played live" much in this context. These two songs are kind of overrated underrated COB songs. They have good stuff to them yes (Black Widow even some awesome stuff) but they're still not as good as many other songs on that album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Widow from 0:45 to 1:49 is awesome. I'd just take the group shouts out and re-use that keyboard idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnxUBY4H5U0

Wrath Within is only good for that melody solo thing in my opinion...

I guess underrated means "not played live" much in this context. These two songs are kind of overrated underrated COB songs. They have good stuff to them yes (Black Widow even some awesome stuff) but they're still not as good as many other songs on that album.

Wrath Within is generally a fun song to play on guitar. It gets lots more interesting once you start learning it.