Movies

Besides "Return of the King" the last movie I watched was one of my favorites, "Paint Your Wagon." I doubt anyone has seen it but its damn funny. I also have to mention "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" even though I haven't watched it in awhile because that movie rules too.

JayKeeley said:
eh?? That's got to be one of the best turning points in movie history! Fucking Salma Hayek is a goddess. Tarrantino and Robert Rodriguez should do a million more movies together. Grindhouse cinema rules, as does Kill Bill.

Not sure whether it's even worth watching movies now that all three Lord of the Kings films have been released. I mean, how can that lot ever be topped? :lol: Well, I suppose there's the next Star Wars movie. :loco:
I agree with JayKeeley on From Dusk Till Dawn. That movie rules when it changes to a vampire movie. That total shift in plot makes it a classic in my book.

I will also agree, From Dusk Till Dawn doesn't start as far as I'm concerned until the vampire action begins. It also makes a difference to me that as long as Tarantino is on screen, I want to put a screwdriver in my temple. I hate that fucker.

JayKeeley said:
Not sure whether it's even worth watching movies now that all three Lord of the Kings films have been released. I mean, how can that lot ever be topped? :lol: Well, I suppose there's the next Star Wars movie. :loco:
The only thing that could beat LotR is if someone makes a movie series of The Dark Tower series.

Who would play Roland? Seriously... who is bad ass-ed enough to be a Gunslinger today?

Pirates of the Caribbean
I watched the DVD again today, and I've gotta say I think it's a rather entertaining movie. Especially Depp's performance in it. Priceless. I don't know about the second one, I guess it'll be a "we'll wait and see what happens" kinda thing. But I hear Depp's gonna be in it, so I'll definately go see it.

bloodfiredeath said:
It also makes a difference to me that as long as Tarantino is on screen, I want to put a screwdriver in my temple. I hate that fucker.
Ugh yeah. Tarrantino's scene in Pulp Fiction (when Jules & Vega go to his house with the dead body in the car) could be the worst acting I've ever seen. He's got to stay out of the acting business and stick with directing. Or perhaps just write scripts.

you liked The Ninth Gate? I thought that movie was horrible. I loved the random nudity/sex right near the end. It felt like the director was saying "thanks for sitting through 2 hours of this worthless tripe, for your reward here are some boobies". They were nice boobies, but it didn't make the movie worth watching.

Underworld could've been good if they'd hired real actors and trimmed some of the dialogue in the middle. Kate Beckinsale was indeed hot, though.

Sure it has plenty of flaws, but I loved the concept and story. And those titties were marvelous.

Nightmarez said:
Who would play Roland? Seriously... who is bad ass-ed enough to be a Gunslinger today?
Not many could pull it off. I'd have to think about this one. But if The Dark Tower ever did come to the big screen, Hollywood would probably get some pretty face (Brad Pitt, Leonardo, etc) to play Roland to attract for viewers.

FREDDY vs JASON

I saw this on DVD today for the first time - missed it at the theater first time round. Anyway, I thought it was pretty good for what it was. The first 30 minutes are a bit so-so, but the rest is good with some interesting plot points. The actual battle between F & J is really well done. Overall though, the initial horror treatment given to the Friday and Elm St franchises was lost some time ago when they decided to turn these 'slasher' pics into long winded MTV videos. The film is smothered with crap by Hatebreed and Killswitch Engage (who's song sounds surprisingly like NBC era Soilwork).

CRONOS

Guillermo Del Toro has to be one of my favourite directors these days. This was his debut - a small Mexican independant movie (that actually won best picture at Cannes) - about an antique dealer that comes across an old device called the 'Cronos' originally crafted 400 years ago by an old alchemist. The device itself gives you immortality, but comes with certain drawbacks. Essentially it's a different take on the Vampire ethos, and looks at the relationship between the old antique dealer and his extremley timid grandaughter.

For those interested, Del Toro also directed Mimic, Blade II (which I think was better than part 1), and the absolutely stunning Devil's Backbone which I rank as one of my all time favourite horror movies. For comic lovers, he's directing the upcoming Hellboy (with that semi-famous trailer featuring Dimmu Borgir tracks).

Waiting in the wings....Terminator 3 & Pirates of the Carribean.

I loved Freddy vs Jason at the theatre and picked it up today on dvd. I watched all of the extras on the second disc, then watched other dvd I bought today, Who's The Man? starring Dr Dre and Ed Lover. Funny fucking movie.

bloodfiredeath said:
I loved Freddy vs Jason at the theatre and picked it up today on dvd.
I liked it, and I thought the way they brought the two characters into the same universe was very good (although driving to Camp Crystal Lake from Elm Street so quickly...? Isn't Elm St in the mid-west and Camp Crystal Lake in upstate NY? Heh). Hope they do get a good script together if they decide to throw Michael Myers into the mix next.

@bloodfiredeath: Have you seen slasher pics of old (where it wasn't just about body count) such as The Prowler, Toolbox Murders, and in particular, The Burning? I'm interested in The Prowler just to see Savini's masterful work.

JayKeeley said:
@bloodfiredeath: Have you seen slasher pics of old (where it wasn't just about body count) such as The Prowler, Toolbox Murders, and in particular, The Burning? I'm interested in The Prowler just to see Savini's masterful work.
I haven't seen any of those, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to.

The post Halloween slasher movies will always have a special place for me. When I was a little kid, every time a Friday or Nightmare movie came out, it was a huge event to me and all my friends. We lived for that shit.

Anyone ever see Terry Gilliam's Brazil? I watched about 30 minutes of it last night, what a trip. Might actually watch the whole thing next time. ;)