Movies

Well, there are some similar moments and you can actually notice director's well known style, but it's a bit different, it's not as disturbing as Antichrist yet also pretty heavy for the soul, if you know what I mean. Please let me know when you watch it, Im curious about your opinion.

yeah, i need to get in the mood to check that out. i can't passively watch his movies.
maybe after a week of fruitless chasing customers for unpaid invoices ... yeah, that should do it.

did anyone see SATANTANGO yet?

There is a Tarr cycle going on in Paris atm (I've been to his masterclass today and he did a great Q&A with the audience after the Turin Horse yesterday!!) so I might go watch Satantago when it is shown. I saw it comes in three parts, starting 2pm and ending 11pm, with 30 minutes pauses between the parts haha.

So far all I've seen of Satantango is this :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, the visuals in that clip felt very "set-up" ... especially that wind walk ... i could practically hear the wind maker behind the camera. :loco:

I love Netflix for all its shitty B-horror. I finished up The Open Door today. It was hilariously bad. Highly recommended.

so getting back to this movie ...

Imagine a Steve McQueen flick directed by Michael Mann in the 70's and add a bit of Blade Runner like general mood and soundtrack to it.

story was great too ...

Albert Brooks as a bad ass and pulling it off ... that's directing.

It was surprisingly good. Though I didn't much care for Perlman's character. I couldn't buy wanting to off Jay Mohr's little brother, rather than just take back the goods no questions asked. Would have been more realistic to set up a hit on Cranston and Jay Mohr's lil bro after the mil was returned. Other than that, and the open ended finale, it was top notch. Very Mann esque, no cheese, with cinematography and the score being the "driving" force to keep the audience's attention. Dialogue is overrated.

Drive definitely has a throwback feel, not just in plot/style, but also the soundtrack, costumes, and general look of it. they had cell phones but it felt more like some modern '87 or something. good flick.

BUT why get the redhead from mad men to be in the movie for about 4 minutes and not even have her in a lowcut shirt or something. massive waste of boob talent.

speaking of Mann ... you know what's underrated as fuck? ... the Miami Vice movie from a few years ago. that shit was sooo good.