Movies

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Watched Suicide Ciricle the other night. Same director as Ichi the Killer. What a trip it was too. You cant go wrong with an opening scene of 54 japanese school girls merrily jumping into an oncoming bullet train.

No, different director.... Miike's way cooler than that guy

lurch70 said:
all of you into Takashi Miike need to check out AUDITION ... definetelly his most gory and well told story ... there is a leg cutoff scene ... ugh.

for sure, FANTASTIC movie, #1 miike film

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Watched Suicide Ciricle the other night. Same director as Ichi the Killer. What a trip it was too. You cant go wrong with an opening scene of 54 japanese school girls merrily jumping into an oncoming bullet train.

Already been said, but it's not Miike ;) A guy called Shion Sono directed it, none of this other films have been released in the UK/US. I wasn't a huge fan of Suicide Circle, I felt the plot was too convoluted, and the overtly almost strained morals detracted from the film. That said I haven't seen it in a fair while, so...

Audition is definitely among my favourite Miike films, up there with Gozu, Ichi and Young Thugs: Nostalgia :) That said, there are a hell of a lot of Miike films I haven't seen, so those are only current favourites. About 30 have been released here, of which I have 2/3 of, but the crazy man has done over 60 in his 15 year career. o_O

Ahh my mistake. I'll have to reprimand my friend who told me that. In any event, it certainly wasnt as good as Ichi, the plot seemed much to jumbled. I find myself often imagining what movies like this would look like if they were given the budget of a mjor hollywood production.

I find myself often imagining what movies like this would look like if they were given the budget of a mjor hollywood production.

Check the US versions of The Ring, Dark Water and The Grudge ;)

En Vind Av Sorg said:
I find myself often imagining what movies like this would look like if they were given the budget of a mjor hollywood production.

Er...they would suck ass? :erk:

Saw The Grudge the other night...what was the point of that remake? It was scene for scene identical to the original, except the scary parts were no longer....scary. The US version of The Ring was all gloss and zero mayhem (to the point where I avoided the sequel), and I won't even acknowledge the remake of Dark Water. Remaking that was about as worthwhile as remaking Psycho with Vince Vaughn.... :tickled:

Avoid remakes people, you wouldn't listen to remade albums, so why watch remade movies? o_O

JayKeeley said:
Er...they would suck ass? :erk:

Saw The Grudge the other night...what was the point of that remake? It was scene for scene identical to the original, except the scary parts were no longer....scary. The US version of The Ring was all gloss and zero mayhem (to the point where I avoided the sequel), and I won't even acknowledge the remake of Dark Water. Remaking that was about as worthwhile as remaking Psycho with Vince Vaughn.... :tickled:

Avoid remakes people, you wouldn't listen to remade albums, so why watch remade movies? o_O

the funny thing about The Grudge was that it was the same director that did the original ... WTF?

that is like Spielberg doing ET, then going to Japan and doing a shot for shot Japanese version ... is Hollywood fucking retarted?

lurch70 said:
the funny thing about The Grudge was that it was the same director that did the original ... WTF?

that is like Spielberg doing ET, then going to Japan and doing a shot for shot Japanese version ... is Hollywood fucking retarted?

Yeah, that's right. It just makes no sense unless people are still hung up about subtitles...so it's for language purposes only.

By the way, even though it was shot-for-shot the same, it still lacked something "cold". Two examples: When Buffy is looking into the closet and the camera pans around to show the boy holding the cat. It felt disjointed compared to the original. Also, when the security guard is looking at the hallway camera and he sees the apparition walking down the hall until she peers into the camera....just lacked any fluid motion.

You realize that the actress was the same as well right? At this point, she was just re-acting the same movie again so you know she's going to be bored waiting for a paycheck to arrive in the mail.

Psycho remake: shot-for-shot exact copy of how Hitchcock directed it....(down to the lighting)....unbelievable.

did not see the US version of The Grudge, the original did not do too much for me to begin with.

was the remake of Psycho in B/W?

still the best Asian cinema since early Woo ... has been OLDBOY ... that shit rules

also the grudge remake was not scene for scene... it was maybe scene for scene of an EDITED version of the original... so add to the reason of removing subtitles for the american audience, another reason for the remake was to cut out background and decent plot so it would be better standed by the masses without any sort of attention span.

So there's two horrible reasons for remaking a movie, but yet.. they did it!

lurch70 said:
still the best Asian cinema since early Woo ... has been OLDBOY ... that shit rules

Wow, I think I have wood. Although, I'm having difficulty believing that anything can surpass The Killer. :kickass: (Hard Boiled also phenomenal, but just a little too long....)

John Woo should never do a Hollywood movie again, and just go back to Hong Kong to partner up with Chow Yun Fat.

Broken Arrow = :lol:

JayKeeley said:
Wow, I think I have wood. Although, I'm having difficulty believing that anything can surpass The Killer. :kickass: (Hard Boiled also phenomenal, but just a little too long....)

John Woo should never do a Hollywood movie again, and just go back to Hong Kong to partner up with Chow Yun Fat.

Broken Arrow = :lol:

oh, don't get me wrong, it does not surpass The Killer ... but it's the best thing since then.

John Woo has been sucking the ass in Hollywood, although Face/off was good.

Chow Yun Fat ... he has not been "cool" since Hard Boiled ... in Crouching Tiger he was upstaged by some chicks. :loco:

oldboy should be in my mailbox today so i'll watch it tomorrow.

fuckin the one time i saw the box for ichi the killer at the video store freaked me out, so that one'll be coming soon too.

i wish i was watching a movie right now or drinking a beer or chokin it or something. friday afternoons at work suck.

Yea sorry, I should have clarified. Good remakes, say if the original director, cast, etc had been given the budget of a modern blockbuster. I know all the Hollywood remakes (the ring, dark water, etc) were all pretty big wastes of time.

there is a smell, iz smell like a shit [/Borat]

wtf? ... CRASH ... i got 2 words; Robert Altman ... and another 2 words; SHORT CUTS

wtf did everyone see in this CRASH movie??? One of the most contrived and manipulative movies ever ... right up there in schmalz, predictability and just general cheese with MAGNOLIA.

Is anyone still this naive in the world to not realize what this movie is trying to literally shove down our throats?