Movies

I am ashamed to admit that I got the original version of The Good Shepherd and could not understand the dialogues. The very low volume of voices compared to the soundtrack did not help, but basically I suck.

I will have to see the dubbed version, because it's the type of movie that I just can't miss anyway and it would be idiotic to pass on it just because my English instantly went bad.

There's no subtitles? I watch pretty much everything subtitled, no matter what the spoken language is. Some DVD-releases (like my "The Prisoner" DVD-box) have only the English "hard of hearing" subtitles, but you just need to ignore the silly descriptions of sound-effects and it's all good. I absolutely refuse to watch anything dubbed in any other language than what the original creators used - there are plenty of examples, especially among anime-circles, of stories that have been completely destroyed by inaccurate dubs.

The only DVD-release I want with proper English subtitles (instead of the "hard of hearing" ones) is Oz - I can imagine all the "sounds of anal raping". :ill: And there's certainly too much slang in Oz for me to understand everything without subtitles.

-Villain

The only DVD-release I want with proper English subtitles (instead of the "hard of hearing" ones) is Oz - I can imagine all the "sounds of anal raping". :ill: And there's certainly too much slang in Oz for me to understand everything without subtitles.

AFAIR Oz was OK in terms of slang, but Sopranos in some places were hard to understand (partly because of accents, too).

Coffee & Cigarettes

Don't know why people trash these shorties so much. It's a very interesting film on human relations, and hell, it's Iggy Pop chatting with Tom Waits, the Wu-Tang with Bill Murray, Roberto Benigni with Steven Wright, and the White Stripes talking about a machine inspired by Nikola Tesla. What else could you ask for?

@QRV: Absolutely! :)

Saw The Merchant of Venice yesterday. Expected more, yet still a great film. Pacino is unbelievably good. I really would like to see all Shakespeares plays made into films the way Pacino did it with Richard III, i.e. half a documentary, half a film. Who would pay for it, I dont know. :)

Coffee & Cigarettes

Don't know why people trash these shorties so much. It's a very interesting film on human relations, and hell, it's Iggy Pop chatting with Tom Waits, the Wu-Tang with Bill Murray, Roberto Benigni with Steven Wright, and the White Stripes talking about a machine inspired by Nikola Tesla. What else could you ask for?

Yeah I saw that one too, I love the fact that it's all in black and white, I love that style :) :kickass: .

Saw "The Curse of the Golden Flower" (is that the name?), quite good. It was a bit too exaggerated, a lot more IMO than this kind of movies. Still, it's always amazing to see the "bunch" of chinese guys screaming at the same time. Damn I love those parts :) . Ah well I prefer "Hero" anyway, much more dramatic and well executed IMO :kickass: .

@marduk: MoV was incredible, from the first minute to the ending. I completely second your rec.

Following can't-remember-who's suggestion in the book thread, I swiftly proceeded to watching the movie version of Deceitful is the heart above all things. Come the end, I wanted to shoot myself. But this is not to say that the film was bad - the film was okay. It gave a view over meager black pools of meanness rather than proper evil, which is somehow a consolation, and Asia Argento does a good job both as director and lead. It didn't deliver cringing-of-a-lifetime type of stuff, but one cannot expect to cringe for just anything after seeing the monsters celebrate in the shameful film adaptation of the Chronicles of Narnia. The movie was bad, but the evil in the celebration was tangible and, well, evil.

Yeah, that's the name. I watched that too recently. I liked it, especially the visual exaggeration.

Yeah it was great, a bit too exagerate with the killings IMO, but damn the colours of the palace and related stuff are so awesome!!! :kickass:

afz902k said:
Hah, I watched Fargo last night, somehow it kept on making me laugh.

Hehe I remeber that I saw that movie with my parents ( o_O how did they let me?) when I was about 9 years old! :lol: Haha it was quite the trauma I must admit, but I saw it some time ago and I was just laughing and enjoying the gore hehehe :heh: .

I just watched "This is Spinal Tap". The whole movie can be described as "a lawl captured in millions of frames that are displayed several-per-second to create a sense of motion" - all with a heavy-metal theme.

Blood: The Last Vampire

Really cool style and direction, and it's entertaining, but it's freakin' short: only 46 minutes. I wanted to see more of it, and the story could have had much more depth to it.

@afz: :lol: @ Spinal Tap.

@kov: well, i resolved to watch the movie in italian. and loved it nonetheless.

next in line is danny boyle's sunshine. will report back.

Spinal Tap was pure greatness. If I'm not mistaken, they have a new album coming out.

@Hyena: Yeah, it was a very good movie. Just rather hard to hear.

Watching the Illusionist right now. It's... interesting. Not all that engaging. I'll be finishing The Hitcher later. I know it's bad, but Sean Bean is greatness.

~kov.