Movies

hyena said:
now i have a question for all of you:

i need movie recommendations. so please list your favorites in the following genres:

I'm going to list some recent ones I've seen, so not all of them are 100% fits.

hyena said:
- thriller of the cops and gangsters variety

New Jack City

hyena said:
- thriller of the political variety

The Corporation

hyena said:
- thriller of the serial killer variety

D-Tox

hyena said:

Office Space

hyena said:
- war (real war, not fantasy)

Apocalypse Now

hyena said:
- alternative of the wasted youth variety (think trainspotting or kids)

Go

hyena said:
- alternative of the wtf variety (think amèlie, even though i loathed it)

Anything from Alejandro Jodorowsky.
El Topo or The Holy Mountain are his best.

hyena said:
- alternative of the political variety (think anything by spike lee)

Menace II Society

hyena said:
- romance

True Romance

wow, thanks! the only one i've seen on your list is "the corporation". will get all the others and report back.

Apocalypse Now is not really a war movie, more about some dark corners of the human mind. :err: If you want one more about Vietnam, Platoon is a must. Everyone has seen Full Metal right? Band of Brothers, although maybe glorifying, liberated from more introspective moral searches and hollywodified on the one hand, is quite realistic, and based on a true story :p And hear this: The Bridge on the River Kwai.

i'm not a war buff, i just like watching human suffering and misery. :rolleyes:

@hyena: serial killer variety suggestion: mindhunters.
actually i'm "in the process" of watching it as i can't get passed the 43rd minute, my computer crashes at that point. so if it sucks in the end, you can't blame me. :p

@siren: i suggest that you skip to the 44th directly, sometimes it's a partiicular minute/second that makes the comp crash.

Have you guys seen the "Apocalypse now redux"? I saw that one before I saw the shorter version and I think it was a big mistake, since it was the most long-winded movie I have seen ever. And I don't feel tempted to see the "real" one now, as I associate it with that boring shit. There was some cool scenes in it, but they are too few in relation to the movie's length.

@CoT: It's not that different, the redux is better, and thats what the movie is like. A long-winded travel up the river you know? It's a psychological movie more than anything, I hated it first time I saw it and was disappointed. The next time I "got" it and could appreciate the more subtle stuff.

I saw "The Forgotten" tonight. I dont want to give anything away, but this movie was really truly special. great acting and one of the most awesome directing jobs Ive seen in a while. The story is great... so much is so unexpected. The film flows through genres in a way I just would not expect. Ive never jumped so many times in a film. Please, go see it and enjoy... I really dont see anyone here disliking it.

just finished watching boiler room, which is quite bad. predictable and boring, the supercast notwithstanding. it seems i am unlucky on saturday nights when it comes to movies these days. well, when it comes to anything, really, but that's not confined to these days.

Salamurhaaja said:
True, but Alexander is even worse, I just saw it tonite on our trip, most
boring 3 hours of my life.
I agree on Alex. I think it was a beautiful movie (the visualisation of Babylon did almost match my visions of it), but it sure was boring. What didn't helped was the morons sitting right infront of me that wasn't quiet for more than five minutes in a row. Sometimes it was also really cheesy (not that unusual) and gay (quite unusual).

From my experience, the movie that takes the cake for the most boring drag is 'The English Patient'
A lot of people really like it ..not I. Sorry.

And, while I'm at it, the most-horrible-movie cake goes to 'Jason X'. Its crappiness is such that I actually would recommend people watching it ..as an experience ..as some sort of museum exhibit of the definition of horrible acting (so it actually becomes quite comical and entertaining in a strange way)

that movie is great! just hilarious. the whole sleeping bag / virtual reality scene is the funniest scene in a movie ever.
i have recently watched:

Brother Bear
Anastasia
Battle Royale (loooooved it, the girl with the scythe, oh god :D i've been trying to get the second one but suprnova is not cooperating)

and i'm downloading Ju On: The Grudge right now, I've heard good things about it

Ju On is the most horrible, scariest movie I've EVER had the pleasure to see. shout out loud close your eyes whimper kind of scary.
anyone that liked the ring in the slightest should go watch it NOW.

bad education was ok by me, not exceptional but still a ray of light in the abyss of bad movies that i've seen recently. at least it's shot decently and the characters have some depth. don't watch it if you're uncomfortable with homosexuality, it is about the lives of several gay men and it gets sort of graphic.

Violet Baudelaire said:
Ju On is the most horrible, scariest movie I've EVER had the pleasure to see. shout out loud close your eyes whimper kind of scary.
anyone that liked the ring in the slightest should go watch it NOW.
whey. Yeah one of the scariest movies Ive ever seen. Check out Ju On 2... its even better... no kidding. Also youll be interested to see 'The grudge' (US Remake). Its actually really ace, then again its the same director just with an American cast so you have to expect it really. If you like Oriental Horror flicks, definately try see "a tale of two sisters" :ill: :ill: :ill:

will do, thanks! the under-bed-covers scene was horrible! it made me want to turn on the lights heh but i was brave