Movies

Oooh I'd like that :p
(And its certainly not what I thought back then..ooooh baaah)

I bought Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas yesterday
Yeah well it was only 8 euros, couldnt leave it :p
And I really like it, too :)

King Chaos said:
Requiem For A Dream

Holy Shit.

Welcome to the club. :cool:

I watched two relatively crappy anime-movies from mid-eighties a while ago. "They Were Eleven" had a rather good story but poor execution; and "Tobira o Akete" (I guess the English title is "Open the Door") was just too simple and boring. I guess they both were fine movies when they came out, but watching them now reveals just how much anime-movies have advanced in the past two decades, not just in technical aspects, but in storytelling and characterization as well.

-Villain

Most recent film I've watched is Once upon a time in the west, and while I doubt many here won't have seen it - to those few, watch it. Film making at its impressive best.

Currently debating whether to watch it again next, or go on an Arnie fest...

@gav, rusty: i just want to add a detail on 120DoS. maybe it escapes the foreign public, but the film is actually done with a political intent, which in my head erases the squick factor completely - there is a point to the extremeness, which is used as a metaphor and not for its intrinsic value. as you might know, Pasolini was actively involved in the communist party and was a homosexual. at the time of filming (1975), italy hadn't yet recovered from internal fractures caused by the fall of fascism: you'll be surprised, but even now some members of the older generations think in terms of "fascist" and "anti-fascist", and there is a widespread cult of the resistenza, the armed groups of civilians who fought against the fascist and nazi troops, especially in Northern italy (where the film is set). when the movie was made, homosexuality was also far from being accepted: so basically Pasolini wanted to show that the accusations of depravity made against him - a homosexual communist, reviled both for his sexual orientation and his political beliefs by a significant part of nation - would have been more appropriate if directed against the "enemy", ie the fascist cadres during the last years of the war, when a part of italy (the Salò republic, also mentioned in the original film title) was governed by them and the nazis, and the rest was controlled by Allied troops. also, the movie contains a jab at the catholic church, which was very close to the italian government from 1946 to about 1990; one of the depraved characters in the film is a man of the cloth, if i remember correctly.
with the political aim in mind, i think that the film is not as shocking as it would be otherwise.

120 Days of Sodom - sounds like my kind of movie, I'll have to get the DVD
a little later I'm going to watch Donnie Darko (the Directors Cut), I've never seen DD
this version has 20 minutes more than the theatrical and previous DVD release.

Has anyone on the forum watched 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' ?

hyena said:
@gav, rusty: i just want to add a detail on 120DoS. maybe it escapes the foreign public, but the film is actually done with a political intent, which in my head erases the squick factor completely - there is a point to the extremeness, which is used as a metaphor and not for its intrinsic value. as you might know, Pasolini was actively involved in the communist party and was a homosexual. at the time of filming (1975), italy hadn't yet recovered from internal fractures caused by the fall of fascism: you'll be surprised, but even now some members of the older generations think in terms of "fascist" and "anti-fascist", and there is a widespread cult of the resistenza, the armed groups of civilians who fought against the fascist and nazi troops, especially in Northern italy (where the film is set). when the movie was made, homosexuality was also far from being accepted: so basically Pasolini wanted to show that the accusations of depravity made against him - a homosexual communist, reviled both for his sexual orientation and his political beliefs by a significant part of nation - would have been more appropriate if directed against the "enemy", ie the fascist cadres during the last years of the war, when a part of italy (the Salò republic, also mentioned in the original film title) was governed by them and the nazis, and the rest was controlled by Allied troops. also, the movie contains a jab at the catholic church, which was very close to the italian government from 1946 to about 1990; one of the depraved characters in the film is a man of the cloth, if i remember correctly.
with the political aim in mind, i think that the film is not as shocking as it would be otherwise.
Yeah, I realise this already. I'm one of those who think it's not just pointless shockery (though I thought the point was something different... hmm). However, point or no point, I still maintain that it's very disturbing nonetheless. :p

I watched The Ali G Show Season 1 DVD.

I never laughed so hard watching it. :lol:

I saw "Constantine" yesterday, on opening night :D

And since I hadn't slept for two days at the time, I have absolutely no idea how it was or what it was all about.

I woke up to a few people applauding at the end of it..
I heard it was good..

That thing with people applauding at movies is silly beyond my understanding. Do people do that outside the US as well? What's the point?

i watched l'esquive last night, a french film about the life of a bunch of underprivileged teenagers on the outskirts of Nice. the story is quite standard (arab guy falls for white girl, gets rejected in several ways, is very sad but doesn't do anything really) but the film is good in the sense that it makes it interesting - but the really fun part is the language used by these teens. it's so over the top (yet believable) that one wants to laugh out loud for the entire length of the movie. :D

TheFourthHorseman said:
That thing with people applauding at movies is silly beyond my understanding. Do people do that outside the US as well? What's the point?
It's never happened to me. I didn't realise it happened at all. How very stupid.

Not as stupid as people in a plane applauding after the landing.. "Yay! He didnt get us all killed! What a guy!" :Smug:

I heard Equilibrium was good, has anyone seen it?

Haha, well yes that's stupid as well. I also dislike people applauding someone for having a birthday. "You were born and haven't died yet, well done."

Equilibrium is dull. Average acting, stupid fight scenes, and a ridiculous plot with "twists" that you could see coming a mile off. Don't bother with it.

people who applaud DURING a movie are worse
people should just shut up and not talk at all the moment they enter the theater until the moment theyre safely in their cars/homes (so as not to spoil it for people who are just coming in)

recently I've seen no movies. but lots of short films such as De Tripas Corazón with the wonderful Gael García

but what is it about gael garcia? i wish i could appreciate him, like so many women do. still i tend to lump him in with joseph fiennes, colin farrell, ben affleck, edward norton (sorry rahvin) and a number of other young actors who just don't cut it for me. contemporary cinema is a tragedy where men are concerned. all the brilliant, enthralling ones are growing old, and the new ones are depressing :(

Actually I don't like any of the actors you mentioned, but I like the contrast between Gael's skin and his eyes... and his smile of course. plus I grew up watching him as a kid in cheesy soap operas so there's the nostalgia factor as well. also, what have you seen him in? photos dont do him justice. I strongly recommed Pedro Almodovar's La Mala Educación. god he's such a beautiful woman in it :(