Movies

Monty Python's "Meaning of life" is one of the worst movies i've ever watched. With what i'd seen by Monty Python before, it disappointed me very much. It seemed to me that the guys at Monty Python never knew where to stop, turning a potentially good joke into a terrible one.

I was going to suggest "Life of Brian", but marduk beat me to it, dammit. ;)

You could also check the best of compilation "...And now, for something completely different." It's got all of Python's best tv moments. Pretty hilarious. However, my personal favorite is "The Quest for the Holy Grail".

For what it's worth, I think The Meaning of Life is the very best of all Python-movies (Holy Grail being the runner-up). It also has the most replay-value in my opinion. Life of Brian, while great on the first watch, is actually a very boring movie when rewatched.

Then again, comparing people's tastes in humor is probably even harder than comparing people's tastes in music.

-Villain

The meaning of life takes unfair flak imo, its a bit hit and miss but I see it as a fine part of surrealist humour. But then, I completely love Monty Python in all its forms.

Also - not certain how many here rate their war films, but to those that do - check out The Beast. You won't regret it, its a fucking fantastic film in a dark vein.

War movies? My favorite has always been (and will most likely always be, unless i watch a true masterpiece that's not by an american director) "Full metal jacket".

I suppose "Meaning of life" has british humor which the rest of the world doesn't understand. ;)
Technically, though, i'm british myself, so...

Well recently, I've seen...

Weekend: insane goddard movie. Made me feel a bit sick, bored, and ultimately entertained by the sickly but kind of boring ride.

The constant Gardner: Film by Fernando Meirelles... and it just owned. Really well told story. I'm not even into politics and such, but that was fantastic.

Lord of war: Similar to Constant garden... Really badass. Entertaining aswell as informing. Very very risky subject. I have no Idea how it has made it into multiplexes and the like.

The Motorcycle Diaries: I'm not ashamed to say the end of this film made me cry like a baby. Walter Salles is just so well versed at doing that with his supreme photography and story telling ability. Anyone who has seen central station would surely agree. Although I dont know about his remaking of dark water... bit shit that is.

Fear And loathing in Las Vegas: Read the book in a day and the day after went into town and bought the film. Then went into town in search of the american dream. Damn my impressionable personality.

I didn't like "Meaning of Life" when I first saw it, but I recently caught it on TV and really enjoyed it. So it was an acquired taste for me

recently watched:
Chronicles of Narnia: Witch, lion and Wardrobe. It was very good, best book-movie adaptation ever at least. I liked the dresses too
Stay: sucked big time. stay away from stay.

Last night we went to see Whos Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - fucking amazing! Ive never seen it before (yes!), but Im glad - its so heavy, Richard Burton and Liz Taylor simply rule the world! :)

Amores Perros tonight on TV at 10pm - cant wait!

UndoControl said:
War movies? My favorite has always been (and will most likely always be, unless i watch a true masterpiece that's not by an american director) "Full metal jacket".

I suppose "Meaning of life" has british humor which the rest of the world doesn't understand. ;)
Technically, though, i'm british myself, so...

I do know what you mean about British humour, there is something that doesn't always translate.

Good taste on the Kubrick love - FMJ is a classic. Probably my favourite war movie (that or Zulu, two different kinds of movie), was my favourite film period... until I saw Dr. Strangelove and started watching Sergio Leone films.

Frank Miller's Sin City (Recut, Extended, Unrated) :worship:

When this DVD was released in April it had very few extras, just came out today with all these extras:

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (DTS 5.1)
Commentary by: Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller (Unknown Format)
Commentary by: Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino (Unknown Format)
Recut and extended theatrical release with over 20 minutes of additional footage- separated into four stories
Original theatrical release including:
All-new feature commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller
All-new feature commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino
An audio track featuring a recording of the Austin premiere audience reaction
Exclusive never-before-seen extras:
15-minute film school with Robert Rodriguez
The movie in high-speed green screen
The Long Take: 17 uninterrupted minutes of Tarantino's segment
Sin City Night at Antones -- filmmakers, cast and crew party
10-minute cooking school with Robert Rodriguez
Bloopers
Teaser & theatrical trailers
A Hard Top With a Decent Engine: The cars of Sin City
Making the Monsters: Special effects make-up
Trench Coats & Fishnets: The costumes of Sin City
Booze, Broads & Guns: The props of Sin City
How it Went Down: Convincing Frank Miller to make the film
Giving the Characters Life: Casting the film
Special guest director: Quentin Tarantino
Sin-Chroni-City interactive game
Complete Sin City Graphic Novel - The Hard Goodbye

This movie is da bomb, check it out :headbang:

Saw Creep (2004) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381966/ last weekend:
The thing that made this film different from the rest of the shitty horror/thriller movies, was that the events took place in London. Overally the movie was predictable, irritating (stupid people make me angry) and not even funny. Best scene was when the black dude mercilessly threw the evil dude to the ground and started pounding monsters face with raging fists.

Another movie that we watched few days ago was also a horror "House of wax (2005)":
apparently a remake of some sort. A lot better than Creep - it was funnier. It had Paris Hilton, who surprise surprise, did not show her tits, but luckily died in a brutal way. The evil dude looked like Jussi the drummer from The 69 eyes. :)

Ah I loved the scene in House of Wax where Paris is making out with her boyfriend and someone starts taking video of them, and she gets upset and tells them to stop...

the irony :D

@hitori:
Yeah.. it´s so nice to notice that she can laugh at herself. When you watched the movie, did you ever think where they got so much wax - like twenty truckloads?

edit: Is new King Kong already in theaters? Have you guys seen the original one?

DragonLady1 said:
I'll see a swedish movie tonight, going to the cinema with my swedish course (oke there are subtitles hehe), really curious, its called: SÅ SOM I HIMMELEN

wooow that was fantastic!!!!!! loved it and the funny thing is that there was also a part that played in innsbruck and u could see the city and the mountains ;)