Music 2012

I was fan of ParadiseLost for decades, before their "return to the roots" with "Paradise Lost" album... I thought they should go forth and find new ways in music. And when i heard they want to release album like "ICON(pt.2)", I was scared, cause of jelousy like "ICON IS A MONUMENT, DON'T YOU DARE TO TOUCH IT!!!"))))) But these two new songs are not bad=)

Anyone here listen to Atoma? Insanely talented apocalyptic Post Metal. Just got their album, it's breathtaking. The track Cloud Nine is highly recommended in terms of its scope and overall atmosphere. The atmosphere of the album is like taking a trip through space itself with some pit stops to watch an interesting and familiar story here and there.

Over all Atoma - Skylight = 9/10

Wish there were more vocals on the album and that a lot of the vocals weren't so lost in the mix. You can barely hear them a lot of the time but maybe that's what they were going for.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Naglfar is pretty fucking AWESOME I must say, fucking intense!! Loving the job Dirk Verbeuren did on session drums, he's tearing it up like a motherfucker!! Sweet job on the guitars as well. Class album.

Freakenly love new album of NAPALM DEATH =) Especially song QUAAAAARAAAAANTAAAAAEEEEEEND!!)))) Such a solid album reminded me Utopis Banished, as I heard it at the age of 12 and fell in love with ND music=)

ndeath2012cd.jpg

Anyone here listen to Atoma? Insanely talented apocalyptic Post Metal. Just got their album, it's breathtaking. The track Cloud Nine is highly recommended in terms of its scope and overall atmosphere. The atmosphere of the album is like taking a trip through space itself with some pit stops to watch an interesting and familiar story here and there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBPQsprezcg

Over all Atoma - Skylight = 9/10

Wish there were more vocals on the album and that a lot of the vocals weren't so lost in the mix. You can barely hear them a lot of the time but maybe that's what they were going for.

Pre-ordered my copy waiting for it to come in the mail! Can't wait!

Whoa, thanks for posting this. I'm currently rocking out to this and Verrückt, great album.

The new Paradise Lost sounds very promising, hopefully it's not a case of two memorable songs and 10 pieces of filler, like "Faith Divides Us".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5CUqLwPl1Q

The new Therapy? album is killer as well. 2012 actually seems a really promising year in music.

Was thinking almost the EXACT same thing...only that I'm not too fond of "the return to roots" that never ends..

My new Paradise Lost is Machine Head ;). I will buy the new PL album no matter what though..

Listening to the new Paradise Lost. Hey, I'm pleasantly surprised in that the quality of songwriting is better than that of the last 5 or 6 albums, I lost count. The main gripe I have with the album is that it sounds so damn clean and polished, the guitar tone (especially rhythm) is digital as a motherfucker, needless to say the atmosphere is quite missing. To my ears, It doesn't sound beautiful, ugly, doomy, etc.. it just sounds overly processed. It is a damn damn damn damn shame, because this is a SOLID album ruined with modern studio "genius".

new therapy? record is amazing! the rhythm section is awesome, especially the drummer destroys.
i love that band, been a fan since troublegum and infernal love back in 1994/1995

You're right, this album is really good. Very diverse and well written. And I love the sound. Thanks for suggesting it.
I've been oblivious to them after Troublegum. I'm gonna catch up and it looks like they've been entirely active all this time.
I'll buy this album first chance I get. :kickass:

Moonspell

"In January 2012, Moonspell revealed the title of the new album to be Alpha Noir, with a release date of April 27, 2012 and a special edition set to include the album's "musical twin", Ómega White. The band's press release cited Bathory, King Diamond, Onslaught, early Metallica, Testament, and Artillery as influences for Alpha Noir, which was described as "an incendiary album". Ómega White was instead described as an album of "pure atmosphere and shadow", an homage to Type O Negative and The Sisters of Mercy and similar to Moonspell's second album Irreligious. Alpha Noir and Ómega White were both produced and mixed by Tue Madsen, who had previously worked on the band's Under Satanæ and Night Eternal records."

Amazing how this short text turned me off already.

"In January 2012, Moonspell revealed the title of the new album to be Alpha Noir, with a release date of April 27, 2012 and a special edition set to include the album's "musical twin", Ómega White. The band's press release cited Bathory, King Diamond, Onslaught, early Metallica, Testament, and Artillery as influences for Alpha Noir, which was described as "an incendiary album". Ómega White was instead described as an album of "pure atmosphere and shadow", an homage to Type O Negative and The Sisters of Mercy and similar to Moonspell's second album Irreligious. Alpha Noir and Ómega White were both produced and mixed by Tue Madsen, who had previously worked on the band's Under Satanæ and Night Eternal records."

Amazing how this short text turned me off already.

I'll have to give it a good listen, I mean a good chance because Moonspell never disappointed, except with Memorial, and even then it could have been worse. A very talented crew, always being original and all sorts of different in the good way. Forget that promotion bullshit. It's Moonspell. I know it's gonna be good.

I'll give the new Moonspell a chance as well. I think the only album of theirs I really didn't like was The Butterfly Effect. Wolfheart and Irreligous are definitely my favs.

Listening to the new Paradise Lost. Hey, I'm pleasantly surprised in that the quality of songwriting is better than that of the last 5 or 6 albums, I lost count. The main gripe I have with the album is that it sounds so damn clean and polished, the guitar tone (especially rhythm) is digital as a motherfucker, needless to say the atmosphere is quite missing. To my ears, It doesn't sound beautiful, ugly, doomy, etc.. it just sounds overly processed. It is a damn damn damn damn shame, because this is a SOLID album ruined with modern studio "genius".

Agree with that, sometimes guitar of Greg sounds too digital for the musical underlay. With good old analogue sound it could be Icon pt. II.... a little weaker part, than Icon itself, but still good=)

Agree with that, sometimes guitar of Greg sounds too digital for the musical underlay. With good old analogue sound it could be Icon pt. II.... a little weaker part, than Icon itself, but still good=)

It's a bit far fetched to think that a band might seek a pure analog sound in 2012 - Although some exceptions - Primordial, Drudkh, Absu, Wolves in the throne room have all done so, or at least in part. It's expensive and time consuming to record old school, but there are things that could be done to keep it from sounding like it's a modern metal effect on the computer. I think Katatonia has done this well since Viva - it's digital but sounds pleasing. Gregor's amazing tone from Shades of God/Icon could have been replicated but I guess they wanted to have a modern edge to it.