Music 2012

I guess we have different tastes then :) Tragic Idol is the first PL album that I've liked in its entirety since Symbol of Life. There were some great songs on the last three albums, but there was also a lot of really underwhelming filler, whereas with Tragic Idol I can honestly say that I enjoy every single song. Maybe it'll grow on you as well.
I played Symbol of Life today, still boring to me ;) In Requiem was THE comeback album for me. Such a surprise, stylewise, great songs, of course some better than others, but several total classics. I also sort of rediscovered FDU-DUU the last days, also a really good album (As Horisons End, Last Regret). No skip-worthy songs on either of those albums i.m.o.

But meanwhile I've listened to Tragic Idol some more times and it's good, I enjoy it (ordered the 2-disc edition). But it hasn't embedded itself in my mind like the 2 previous albums yet.

Anyway, so far the new Naglfar takes the cake for album of the year for me, absolutely killer album! Everything you could wish from a Naglfar album, furious (Dirk Verbeuren ftw!), great melodies and only great songs.

Nothing about the new In Mourning? Think katatonia fines would like it alot

Just Ignore the "I'M GROWLING MAN!" faces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXD-uWAoN0

not the highlight of the album at all either.

The song has it's moments but couldn't say I like it. It definitely sounds like a step back from what they have achieved with their previous album in all means. And why would two people scream when their screams sound almost exactly the same?

^^

The album is fantastic! This is comings from someone who wasn't to partial to their last album. It is very chill and atmospheric. One of those listen to first song to last type albums. Surprised my first play through. Could beat their first album if it sticks long enough playwise.

But yeah the single doesn't stand out, it is one of those songs where you have to let the atmosphere of the previous track to get with it.

Some doomy stuff that I don't think was mentioned before

Tiamat - The Scarred People (...will be interesting to see what direction they take)
My Dying Bride is in the studio (not holding out much hope =( )
The Fall of Every Season - Amends (one of the better "newer" bands playing the style of atmospheric doom)
Celestial Season and Morgion are back together, but I'm not sure if either band is making a new album

Some doomy stuff that I don't think was mentioned before

Tiamat - The Scarred People (...will be interesting to see what direction they take)
My Dying Bride is in the studio (not holding out much hope =( )
The Fall of Every Season - Amends (one of the better "newer" bands playing the style of atmospheric doom)
Celestial Season and Morgion are back together, but I'm not sure if either band is making a new album

Really looking forward to Tiamat and My Dying Bride albums, and really curious about Tiamat. I hope they pull it off this time.

I'd love a new Celestial Season album, but no announcements yet. I hope at least their albums hit the vinyl presses soon. Someone should re-issue them.
Anyone seen them live at Roadburn?

Really looking forward to Tiamat and My Dying Bride albums, and really curious about Tiamat. I hope they pull it off this time.

I'd love a new Celestial Season album, but no announcements yet. I hope at least their albums hit the vinyl presses soon. Someone should re-issue them.

Not me, but there are some okay-quality videos on youtube. I'm just shocked that they are back together and doing the doom stuff again. Apparently this was announced last year, but I never heard about it - Solar Lovers remains one of my favorite albums.

Wow wow wow! I used to be a huge fan of Celestial Season's albums "Forever Scarlet Passion" and "Solar Lovers"!!! Great to hear the band is in the biz again))

Upd. Listening to Decamerone 2011. The sound is cool! But they should do something with "spoken" vocals IMO... Still the song is awesome!

What am I listening to? I kinda like it...It sounds a little gothic, ambient and tribal with some chinese flutes

it's negru's (from negură bunget) folk project, you can read more about it here.
i have no idea what is the song about (nor do i understand the language) but i really like it.

°scarlet°;10267425 said:
it's negru's (from negură bunget) folk project, you can read more about it here.
i have no idea what is the song about (nor do i understand the language) but i really like it.

These songs are old traditional Romanian folk songs and/or new songs based on traditional folk music. The lyrics tell of the love of nature and the relationship of one's self with nature. Din Brad means "from the fir tree" and no these aren't chinese flutes :) they are traditional Romanian flutes. Every country has some form of flute or several, they just happen to sound alike most of the time.

A0693.jpg

These songs are old traditional Romanian folk songs and/or new songs based on traditional folk music. The lyrics tell of the love of nature and the relationship of one's self with nature. Din Brad means "from the fir tree" and no these aren't chinese flutes :) they are traditional Romanian flutes. Every country has some form of flute or several, they just happen to sound alike most of the time.

A0693.jpg

Very grateful for the info

So I listened to Moonspell's double album and I love every minute of it.

Alpha Noir - is not so extreme, as advertised (??), but just a different twist to the heavier Moonspell music. It's really fresh, honest (or better yet, not pretentious) and really fun to listen to. Really good songs with some good riffs and rhythms with headbang triggers, that just get better the more you listen.

Omega White - signature Moonspell style songs, but really well done, some of the best songs they've ever done for sure.

I think it's a good idea distilling the album like this in two parts, separating the new from the old. It just makes this album less congested even though there's a lot going on. 78 minutes of creative metal, be it dark, death, goth, whatever.

Overall, a killer release.
Now I can't wait for my 2LP to arrive. :headbang:

The lyrics tell of the love of nature and the relationship of one's self with nature.

thanks for explaining what the lyrics were about! i knew the rest since it's well explained in the link i provided :) i'm able to understand pretty well all the main romance languages to a certain degree, except romanian, which is too much different from all the others. i love traditional folk music from several countries and appreciate the efforts to preserve it, i guess that has something to do with me liking this album :)

Don't know if you can still get a copy for a fair price, but Solar Lovers was released on blue vinyl about 1.5 years ago, I bought a copy in Los Angeles. Can't wait to hear them record some new stuff, excited they have reformed!

I am looking forward to the new My Dying Bride, they are recording 14 songs and there will be death metal vocals. I liked Barghest, but they need to do a MUCH better job than For Lies I Sire. For me, a totally uninspired and boring album. They are capable of much more, and they have become so inconsistent from one Lp to the next over the last 10-12 years or so.

Don't know if you can still get a copy for a fair price, but Solar Lovers was released on blue vinyl about 1.5 years ago, I bought a copy in Los Angeles. Can't wait to hear them record some new stuff, excited they have reformed!

I am looking forward to the new My Dying Bride, they are recording 14 songs and there will be death metal vocals. I liked Barghest, but they need to do a MUCH better job than For Lies I Sire. For me, a totally uninspired and boring album. They are capable of much more, and they have become so inconsistent from one Lp to the next over the last 10-12 years or so.

Yeah, I got the Solar Lovers LP when it came out, and obviously I'd love their other albums as well. I'm not sure they'll record new music, as they haven't announced anything yet. I think the re-union was done manly for Roadburn and they got the vocalist from Orphanage (another great band) to do the growling.