Music and the mind.

Well music helps me think, and concentrate on a task. I hate loudness when i'm trying to think, but i can BLAST music in my ear and have more concentration then if it was silent....weird.lol.

Act out percieved persona's, adapt tuff guy attitudes, use someone elses opinions or viewpoints, copy silly hair and dress styles, its endless really so to say theres a defined limit as to the extreme someone would follow or act out a influence is foolish. Culture because its the statis quo is sickening but a majority feel the need to fit in somewhere to sooth their insecurity.

This discussion seems to have quickly devolved to a standard, what-metal-band-do-you-like-and-is-your-opinion-valid exchange; but the original question is still a vaild one: Is there a reason that music has always existed in the developed mind and does it have a purpose?

There are myriad studies and subsequent readings that address this in depth. Howard Garner put forth the idea that there are seven intelligences that govern the mind. The most interesting aspect of this is that one of those is Musical Intelligence. Music is considered not to be a subset of the, say, mathematical mind nor a combination of Mathematical and Interpersonal - but rather an intelligence in an to itself. Modern FMRI examinations show that the mind simultaneosly accesses many areas of the brain in order to process and use music input.

There is also the question of how music can and does illicit stricly physical (as well as mental) responses - much the way that emotion can be considered a physical construct rather than a mental one.

In short: In the same way that language translates (or, to take the stronger viewpoint, transliterates) thought, music seems to be the language of emotion.

just like drunks, everyone stereo types drunks as getting loud, obnoxious and mean, not true in the least......

Music can definitely make you angry, especially when you don't like the song, but the host / DJ / person listening won't turn it off and play something more tolerable. In fact, one of the things that I hate most about working with other people is having to suffer through their choice of office tunes. I become genuinely irrate when people are listening to Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, or Black Sabbath, but the degree of elitism portrayed by fans of these bands is beyond anything in my experience. I understand that not everyone likes my music, so I don't play it loudly when other people are around, but many of these people act like they're doing everyone around them a huge fucking favor by forcing them to listen to the one CD that they own for days at a time.
I even worked with a kid in a deli two summers ago who listened to Bob Marley all day every day and whenever anyone asked him to play something else, he would reply "dude... this is Bob Marley."

Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me guy, because I thought this music sucked, but now that I know the artist's name that changes everything :rolleyes:

This is so true.

Tom quit bumping for crying out loud. Of course Rap can be Art, rape can too, everything can be turned into a artform, conjobs, you name it. No I didnt mention all those other things to put Rap down (even though it does suck after godzillions of identical "songs") just the point that everything can be art. Race car driving is a artform, downhill skiing, get a clue... =}:-0

:lol:

Well, there's the Mozart effect which has evidence for enhancing brain power temporarily. There are 3 Mozart songs and 1 Yanni song that were the only ones 'proven' to work. I believe that those songs work but I also think that what tickles someones brain, or turns it on, is as individual as snowflakes. I experiment on myself and that's what I think...would love to do my own 'study' of it and prove myself right.