Music downloading is it good or bad?

Badbird

Never banned
Oct 14, 2009
Ayn Rand is dead hahahahaha
I been reading stuff about buying cds have been on a decline and downloading is on the top.I hear that metalheads buy the most cds at of any music fans.What do any of you think about downloading?Does do more good or more damage to music?Do you think cds will dissaper or will it have a small following like vinyl?

Depends on whether we are talking about legal or illegal downloads really. Legal ones, obviously no issue at all, the musicians still get their cut (however small it may be). As far as illegal downloading is concerned there are two opposing viewpoints. One suggests that it harms the artists big or small and should be punished harshly. The other suggests that since the music industry is in such a decline and that the best way to make money is live, that any exposure to the music is a good thing. This exposure then drives people to the concerts where the artists make money for the tickets and also for merchandise.

My own personal opinion is somewhere in between these extremes. Sometimes downloading can expose someone to a band they have not heard and thus that person may find something they like then go out and buy it. In this case downloading is a good thing. For small bands however this is taking their livelihood away from them.

To play devil's advocate though: are musicians entitled to a living from music if the market does not support it?

It is a different situation depending on the genre of music.

Some musicians can sustain a profitable life through album sales, but this is not the case with genres like extreme metal bands - they simply aren't popular enough to garner a reasonable amount of money through record sales.

Extreme Metal doesn't make money from album sales. They don't even make money on ticket sales. The most money is made from merch sales (T-shirts are what keep small metal bands in existence).

So I say get the music out there in any way possible so that the bands get heard. Then go to a live show when that band comes through your town - and buy a shirt. That is the only way money is made for such acts.

I'd say it is because twice now I have totally screwed up desktops via some intense virus picked up at a downloads sites. The last one came from trying to grab a obscure out of print early 90's album from someone elses account via their permission, really by their urgence so I could "hear it". One wrong click there and your done, I found out twice now.

None the less I have over a thousand songs from both digitalizing old stuff I have on albums and flat out stealing. None of which covers the amount of money into a good hard drive desktop, then it looks like Im gonna loose those songs anyhow because it would take two years at the speed my computers moving to put them in backup so I can try clearing and reloading the drive. I have written word, recording tracks and photos I would spend the time to save first.

Sweet!

I think CD's will still have a small following... though illegal downloading has pretty much (or will) killed the industry. Time will tell what this does to the state of music in the future.

It's just about people's mentality and appreciation to the art. If you appreciate what you are listening to, you have to pay for it just like paying for food or electricity or anything else. In my opinion, people devalue art to the point where they think that it's stupid to pay for an artistic work that's why they think it's somehow "free".
I'm not one of these people. But i own only Opeth's Roundhouse Tapes original DVD as well as two or three Michael Jackson's albums. But i have my reasons for that.

Reactions: Neftys
I think CD's will still have a small following... though illegal downloading has pretty much (or will) killed the industry. Time will tell what this does to the state of music in the future.

Yes we will see.I haven't bought cds or any music yet but I will in the future.I hope they don't go away in the future:cry:altough vinyl will still be around.

This economy and "new" world we live in is going to hurt every industry. The excesses of the 80's and 90's was a complete false front and the veil has been raised, pay now or pay later is applied and now we are paying and the playground has been closed.

Kids my age like to download music and not buy the cd or vinyl.What I don't get is that they say cds are too expensive and yet they buy video games which are just as expensive as buying a cd.

The entertainment industry has changed so much in the past 40 years. Driveins were dying out by the 70's with the onslot of cable TV, since the movie theaters have been drying up, there used to be dozens of clubs in local areas for local bands to play, now they are few and far between, DJ's didnt help the scene for bands, neither did the DWI laws. Arcaids were big bucks for the owners in the 80's home video stuff killed that which is a good thing with the addiction due to the nature of the games. Some people used to drop some serious change trying to beat those games. now computers are the greatest home entertainment... who the fuck rides bicycles anymore ? You couldnt get me off mine when I was a kid, even a teen, it was the second best thing to my guitar.

CD's can eat up money quick, especially new releases. Buying new music I believe has always primarily been to a more youthful market, as one gets older more important fiscal responsibilities take priority. Most youth gets their money from Mom and Pop because I rarely see them working, we at least used to mow lawns or deliver papers, wait tables, wash dishes, ect. Chances of talking Dad out of money to buy "that horrible rock music" was slim. So today I imagine kids have a limited expence account and they will go for the games and grab what comes free easily. I can see professionals opposing it, only for very few is it a great success. Most just get by and tour like hell hoping they sell tickets and merchandise, not alot has really changed there, the 80s was probably the pinacle of excess stardom for so many bands, at least enough money to allow them to party all the time and get strung out on some stupid drug. Now today most are painting houses or in some form of construction. The life of a bard has never met much success againt the percentage.

So I would say chances are that if most didnt steal the music they would never have it anyhow. Or do like we did where one guy would buy such and such a tape and the rest of us would copy our own from that. Music "sharing" is nothing new. Even back in the days of albums one guy would buy ___ another guy ____ and then we would rotate them around.

Do you truly believe this or do you think there are other factors involved as well? Other factors such as the lack of quality music being promoted and the similarities between all the major POP artists.

For my mind these are equally as large contributors to the decline in the music industry.

People out there still want to buy music. Take a look at the recent success of Susan Boyle. I know this is not the type of music most of us would listen to, but in the space of little more than a month she has sold 5 million copies worldwide. A lot of this is her target audience, older folk. The older generations still prefer to have the physical album in their hands. Another portion of her success is she can actually sing, unlike the average autotuned Joanne on the street.

For my mind, show me someone who is worth buying and people will.

^The problem is how would be recognize the one who's worth buying their cds and who's not. People lack sense of taste. Period.
They just want music to be played in the background while playing games,gossip,or do any other activities, not to enjoy the musicianship.

^The problem is how would be recognize the one who's worth buying their cds and who's not. People lack sense of taste. Period.
They just want music to be played in the background while playing games,gossip,or do any other activities, not to enjoy the musicianship.

A lot of it comes down to marketing, the major labels want to market people like Lady Gaga and other pop acts like this and have no real desire to market people like Satriani or Vai or other talented musicians. If the labels could be convinced that a lot of people like myself are more interested in good music then I think we would have a change.

This issue has always been around but if you look at the biggest selling acts of history there is some real talent in that list with people like Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, The Beatles etc. We need to get back to this sort of thing but how to do it I don't know.

yeah. Just imagine what people in 100 years will think of Opeth or Devin Townsend... they will never be heard i guess.

I'm not thinking of that type of music but I am talking about popular music like 50 Cent,Hinder,and Lady Gaga.I don't think anyone will listen to that stuff once they pass their prime.