Music from 1965 and older

Bloopy

Feb 10, 2008
New Zealand
www.bloopy.org
Recommend some music from 1965 and earlier. I've rarely gotten into anything that old. ('66 gets interesting for me with debut releases from the likes of Jefferson Airplane, Cream, and Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band).

I don't generally get into jazz or the old rock 'n' roll. Seems like The Beatles were a bit too pop and only experimented with rocking harder later on. The Who were onto it though. This instrumental is crazy:

I am interested in early noise music and musique concrète, though recordings get harder to come by the further back you go. A couple of examples (the first is an Edgard Varèse composition recorded in the 1930s):

Last edited:
I have a 4 CD compilation called Rockin' Bones which you might be interested in.

MI0000629558.jpg

It's not experimental music but rather very raw, rebellious rock music from the 1950's. Mostly obscure and forgotten artists but there are also things like George Jones (country musician) singing under the alias Thumper Jones because you lost respect in the country music scene if you dabbled in the long haired negro music.

Reactions: Bloopy
I enjoy seeing rockabilly bands live. I checked out some of the tracks from that and I don't mind a little bit. I know the Link Wray one of course. I also just discovered Jody Reynolds. More downbeat but not soft. This I can dig:

coherent and consistent albums didn't really become a thing until the end of the decade if not later, but there are loads of great tunes nevertheless. i'll certainly post a bunch of youtubes later, someone remind me if i don't remember

some of the very best tunes from back then IMO. i'm very uninterested in noise/musique concrete though and you may not like most of this if you're only interested in experimental or 'heavy' stuff:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
Good selection there. My 1st post was just a starting point for the thread. I pick and choose from various genres a bit so I'll try anything. I like Lesley Gore and The Tammys song isn't too bad either. After all, I have been known to listen to a bit of Judy Garland and Nancy Sinatra:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirjack and CiG
Steve Reich? Or Luigi Nono or Karlheinz Stockhausen? If you're loooking for particularly harsher stuff from the early to mid 60's, I'd recommend The Sonics or Music Machine.

Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
Didn't know you liked folk or blues. Lead Belly was one bad motherfucker indeed, reportedly got his name from surviving a shotgun blast to the gut. Wouldn't shock me seeing as he once got shanked across the neck, ripped the shiv out with his bare hands and nearly killed his assailant. That and he was a nasty fucking guitar slinger. Listen to those janky, over technical riffs.

coherent and consistent albums didn't really become a thing until the end of the decade if not later

Perhaps, but I dig the album format. It's something I had in mind when I started the thread and am now looking up on the RYM charts (finally gotten around to working my way backwards through the years). Didn't need to scroll far before '65 turned up a consistently great album I like:

Last edited:
A couple of darker-sounding musique concrète albums, from 1960 & 1963. No doubt some of the craziest shit from their respective years.

Last edited:
Jascha Hiefetz goes absolutely apeshit on the violin playing some Paganini.

It's been rumoured that the only reason Heifetz was allowed to get this good is because Paganini himself didn't renew his contract with the devil.

Reactions: Bloopy