Music from 1965 and older

Rat Pack "Clan version" is in constant rotation among my playlists. I'm especially fan of Dean Martin.

Jascha Hiefetz goes absolutely apeshit on the violin playing some Paganini.

It's been rumoured that the only reason Heifetz was allowed to get this good is because Paganini himself didn't renew his contract with the devil.

What's your take on Kogan playing Paganini?

Rat Pack "Clan version" is in constant rotation among my playlists. I'm especially fan of Dean Martin.

What's your take on Kogan playing Paganini?
Don't believe I've heard it mate. Would you care to post some here? I'd love to give it a listen!

One of my motivations for starting this thread was because I was working on expanding this list as far back as possible: My Favourite Albums by Year. Originally it only reached back to 1966, but now with another 11 additions it's back to 1955. Don't look too closely at some of the newer stuff on the list.

Album pickings get even slimmer in 1954. If I do find any I like from that year, they'll be ones not on RYM yet and requiring more effort to track down. Kay Thompson has an album from that year which could be a winner:

This song has been stuck in my head all day, had to dig out the LP. Used to listen to Gene Vincent's first album so much in my teens, here's a few other choice cuts:

Reactions: Bloopy
Somewhere I have a Gene Vincent cassette I got from a sale bin when I was a kid because it had Roll Over Beethoven on it, and I was disappointed that it wasn't the version of the song from the film Beethoven. I was yet to understand the concept of multiple artists releasing covers of the same song.

Surprisingly after almost giving up, I managed to find albums I like from '52 & '53 respectively. The Pearl Bailey album was on the wrong year in RYM which didn't help. Albums get a bit different at this point. Both are shorter 10" releases where every track was also released as an A or B-side, so that's good for consistency. I'm still liking the album format as a way for this stuff to grow on me, as opposed to liking one song and then not finding where to go next with an artist, or slogging through a more varied 2CD best of.

1951 might be the year that finally defeats my album pursuit, but if not then I can keep going back as Pearl also has one from 1950 I could get into:

Last edited:
Since I found this from 1951, now I've been exploring back further. Here's a bunch of stuff mostly from the 40s:

I kinda love this, sounds like Beryl stopped giving a fuck near the end of the recording session and was just getting it over and done with:

Harry Partch's earliest recordings are wild:

Some more Julie London because she rules, or at least ruled. Her first 9 albums plus Julie...At Home and Latin in a Satin Mood are the good stuff. The later stuff where she's backed by an orchestra or big band just seems wrong, with her seductive voice being perfect for a minimal jazz combo in a smoky dive bar.

Last edited:
^Tony Abbott's theme music!

Another dump of tracks for the thread:
Heard part of this one in a movie (Chappaqua I think):

April March's cover of this (English lyrics version) is a big fav of mine:

Reactions: CiG
After wrapping up the 80's, instead of rushing right into the 90's, I've decided to do the 60's. Since there's no threads for years that early I might post the lists here. Starting with 1960 today, forgot how much I love Joan Baez's voice.