Music Ladder

Cheese

Mighty God Of Everything
Sep 26, 2002
UK
Visit site
Whats your story?
When I was about 8 years old I listened to midnight oil (and still think they kick ass!!!) then about a year ago (I am only 14) I listened to nu-metal, probably because I didnt know any better , but (thankfully) I advanced quickly, from reccomendations etc etc, i got into Emperors Prometheus and made my way along from there. My "horizons" have broadened immensly since then, and I like a wide variety of music now.

I think the earliest music stuff I can remember was that my dad gave me some of his tapes to listen to. I remember a tape with a really gross 70's chick holding a guitar, but I can't remember the music. He also gave me a Cliff Richard tape. I think it was from the late 60's. It had "Celebration" or "Congratulations" or whatever that song is called. He also gave me Boney M's "Nightflight to Venus" and a tape by a Danish dude called Bamse (kind of translates to Teddy Bear). I also had a tape by a Danish band called Shu Bi Dua and it had a really sad song I remember, which always made me think of my grand dad who died in 1987.
My first "independent" meet with music was when I heard Run DMC's "Walk this way" on MTV back in 1989 or something. I got the tape and also got my hands on the first album by the Danish band Mc Einar, which was kind of a Danish version of Run DMC. I turned on Yo! MTV Raps and hoped to see Run DMC like shit, but was dissapointed as none of the stuff had distorted guitar. I then discovered Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden and was hooked on metal! As time went by my taste in metal got harder & harder and I now mostly listens to black metal when I listen to metal.
I also had a brief encounter with hip hop when Snoop Doggy Dogg's first album came out in 1993, but that didn't last long and I went back to metal. I started to listen to hip hop again in 9th grade and it lasted around 3 years I think. As you may know 99% of hip hop is just stolen from other peoples records, and mostly from 70's funk, so I started looking for the originals and found that they were always better. I'd rather listen to a song that has some variation than just the same 4 seconds over & over for 4 minuttes. That got a little boring. When looking for the old shit I also discovered other shit than just funk and now at a age of 21 I listen to more or less all kinds of music. Or that means, all kinds of music that existed before the 1980's! I started listening to a little trip hop & house late in my latest hip hop period, but that got boring too! Except for punk & gregorian chants I think you can find any kind of music in my collection. Okay, I haven't got that much "national music" - you know Greenlandic music, Indian music and so on. I have a record by a Romanian guy called Dumitru Farcas and I also have 4 cd's by the Swedish/Finnish folk group Hedningarna and a cd by Robbie Robertson that he did with some native Americans. I have 60's pop music, rock, prog. rock, 80's metal, 80's pop, funk, soul, jazz, classical, jazz-funk, Kraftwerk, soundtracks, etc. You name a genre that existed before the 80's and I'm pretty sure I have it! Nowadays the only stuff newer than 1981 I listen to is metal, Hedningarna, Dead Can Dance & a few songs here & there! It's not that I'm biased or anything. The music of today simply doesn't do anything for me! It happens sometime that I find a song that I like, but it usually gets boring after I've seen it on MTV 10-20 times! To me most music of today is like that. Low quality that doesn't hold up in the future like the 60's do today!
I currently have 1134 records and a little over a hundred cd's. Some of the cd's are hip hop shit I just want to get rid off. I think it would be hard for me having that many records if I didn't have such a wide taste as I do today. Especially as I haven't collected records for more than 4 years I think.
When I listened to hip hop I maybe was a little narrowminded. I kind of dismissed most music if it wasn't hip hop. I didn't really give a chance! I guess I was the same way when I was a metal head back in 8th-9th grade, but the funk shit and other old stuff changed that!
My biggest idols today is Lee Hazlewood and John Barry. Type O Negative also still ranks very, very high on my list!
I also have that David Bowie record you listen to Cheese, but the only song I like on it is "Ashes to ashes", but that's also a great track!