Music to be miserable to...

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory (It is pretty depressing if you follow the story.)

No offence.... well actually full offence, but that is one of the stupidest things i have ever read. SFAM is quite an uplifting album, as Nic finally gets closure on who the girl from his dreams (victoria) really is.... so he gets done in by the pyscologist at the end, big deal - he has reincarnated before so why not again :D

Angry or pissed offf
Pantera
SYL

Depressed and want "help"
Zakk Wylde
Devin Townsend - AE

Depressed and want to wallow
Opeth - Damnation
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Staind - Anything pre-14 Shades of Gray

reidie said:
No offence.... well actually full offence, but that is one of the stupidest things i have ever read. SFAM is quite an uplifting album, as Nic finally gets closure on who the girl from his dreams (victoria) really is.... so he gets done in by the pyscologist at the end, big deal - he has reincarnated before so why not again :D
Okay, full offense to you then, the point of the story is someone was murdered, you fool. Oh yeah, murder is REALLY uplifting.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFBTPMN

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Okay, full offense to you then, the point of the story is someone was murdered, you fool. Oh yeah, murder is REALLY uplifting.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFBTPMN

No its not, on the surface it may appear to be but look deeper - its about reincarnation and living on past this life

"Safe in the light that surrounds me,
Free of the fear and the pain"

This is probably the most uplifting DT has ever been, especially the way it is sung (in the end, not the beginning).

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I've read everything on that faq before. You know, you don't have to hear a story the way people intend you to. This world would be hella boring that way.

- TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFBTPMN

Haha Reidi got owned

Joy Divison ... epsecially when you're listening to them in the car when it's raining in the afternoon ... :cry:
Neuroisis - A Sun That Never Sets
Tori Amos - Under the Pink
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

The BIG 3 are definitely Katatonia, Anathema & My Dying Bride imo. These bands are kings of melodic/doom metal/rock and evoke such intense sadness/angert and so much varied emotion.

For My Fallen Angel by My Dying Bride just MAY be the most saddest damn song I have ever heard. It honestly sounds like a song that'd be written for a funeral or someone's passing. God...it's just so sad...the lyrics even - aye - haunting.

Sear Me by My Dying Bride off Turn Loose the Swans (my fave album by the band by far!) is almost on par with the above.

- and there's obviously more where that came from.

Anathema is obviously no slouch in this area, with songs such as Regret, One Last Goodbye, Parisienne Moonlight (a masterpiece!), Lost Control, A Natural Disaster, Inner Silence - all being some of my all-time favs from the band.

Everyone has to mention Katatonia; some of the gloomiest music I have heard. I just love the soundscapes they create - so eerie and just ultimately depressing. I always think of dark ruins or rainy days when listening to them, or old run-down factories, rusted areas...kinda similar to the way I feel about Silent Hill when playing this crazy-ass game.

Love of the Swans is an awesome song by these guys, which is a rare one. Their stuff off their debut has some of the most evil, angry soundscapes ever heard imo. God, Jonas was one evil dude - I was truly shocked with his vocal performance. Gateways of Beareavement - hell yes!!! Day is one of my favourites. Perhaps one of their gloomiest tracks - just love it!
But stuff like deadhouse, saw you drown, sweet nurse, teargas, disposition, future of speech, relention, black session, evidence and the list just goes on - it's all much thanks to jonas' amazing vocals which sounds like he's the most depressed person on the face of this planet, heh.

Other bands that sound similar in style;

Draconian (just discovered them,,,AWESOME! Check out their new release, or the track "A Scenery of Loss")
Swallow the Sun
Daylight Dies
Caanan (again, just discovered them...damn those depressive vocals. Check 'em out!)
Antimatter (damn, they truly have some HIGHLY depressive themes - they rock! Angelic, Flowers, Last Laugh, Over your Shoulder, Line of Fire, Epitaph, Dream, etc.)
Portishead
Klimt 1918 (AMAZING - AMAZING BAND! Can't stress that enough, actually. Some of their music is just too good for words.)
Virgin Black

That's all for now.

Alteredmindeath said:
Myrkskog
Emperor
Virgin Black
Sigh
The Meads of Asphodel
Slayer
Satyricon
Kalmah

You get miserable to Emperor? All it makes me do is want to go and live in a cave...in a forest...in Scananavia...and burn churches... :cool:.

Joy Divison
Radiohead
Nirvana
Depeche Mode
(Some) Pink Floyd.