Music to be miserable to...

BANNEDadrian said:
ABBA - dancing queen

How can you get miserable to that? ABBA is like the birth of bubblegum po....oh...i see.

Pink Floyd - Mother

That made me cry the first time i heard it, don't quite know why.

And Zep's - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is pretty heart breaking.

That damn solo was #1 on a list of the 100 top solos of all time.

I kind of agree with that, because this solo has the best feeling out of any one I've ever heard. Technicality, not much of it. This is one of the few exceptions where I'll like feeling over technicality.

(But please don't start that stupid ass argument again.)

Because music that is depressing may put perspective on your own situation. It may make you feel better knowing that your life isn't all that bad, and grateful you aren't worse off. It may fit your mood and so soothe a bit. It may speak to the way you feel and let you know you aren't the only one. There are many reasons. We are not happy sunny people all the time, why should our music be?

Ok, depressing stuff is obviously something most of you aren't too well educated on :p
check out the following:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (post-rock stuff... you should know them if you know Mogwai. Check out 'F#-A# infinity')

Explosions In The Sky (more post rock stuff... not so much depressing but it really makes me feel lonely. Check out 'The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place')

Empyrium (their early stuff is black/goth metal and is great, but their new stuff is mostly acoustic dark folk-ish stuff and is absolutely amazing. Check out 'Where At Night The Wood Grouse Plays')

Uaral (They create the most depressing music I have ever heard in my entire life. Its absolutely devastating. 'Sounds of Pain' is probably the best release of '05 in my opinion... Definitely one of them)

Mournful Congregation (Absolutely crushing doom metal. Very very great stuff. 'Monad Of Creation' was another one of my favorite '05 releases)

Forest Stream (Black/doom metal. Its very atmospheric... I don't know if it would be considered depressing to everyone but I find it that way. I personally prefer their demo 'Snowfall' over their album 'Tears of Mortal Solitude' but its a lot harder to find than the album. Both are great though.)

Autumn Tears (Dark ambient metal stuff. Very great atmosphere. Mostly centered around keyboards but cool vocals and stuff too. Pretty much just pick up any of their albums. I guess just start with 'Love Poems For Dying Children Part I')

October Falls (Dark acoustic folk-ish stuff. It sounds a lot like Empyrium's later albums. Definitely something to pick up if you like stuff like that. The only album I have is 'Marras')

Vali (Its basically the same type of stuff as October Falls. Definitely worth picking up as well. I believe the only album theyve released is called 'Forlatt')

Apoptose (Dark ambient. Its not quite depressing, but its very dark and the atmosphere is great. I recomend their first album 'Nordland' over their second and most recent album 'Blutopfer')

Powers: The song, the lyrics... forget about the bloody bridge (it's not a solo, as there are drums there too); the rest of the song is way better.

Sean Casey: Because it's more soothing to hear depressive stuff than to hear stupid "i'm happy, life is beautiful, let's get together and fuck a lot" bullshit.

Bard: "Doom metal", folk metal, "doom" goth? I'll respect that, but plain slow rock is much more depressive imo.

UndoControl said:
Powers: The song, the lyrics... forget about the bloody bridge (it's not a solo, as there are drums there too); the rest of the song is way better.

If you want to get pedantic yes it's not really a solo, and as for the rest of the song being better...yea...agreed, althought i never said the solo was the best part.

Well, in a sense the lad is right isn't he? If you want to be pedantic a guitar solo should really only feature guitar otherwise what's solo about it? But i think most of the time we get away with calling bridges where guitar is most porominent a solo don't we? You guys no more than me, i'm just venturing a guess here.

I'd love to hear a band all stop except the lead guitarist as soon as a guitar solo kicks in, that would make the music amazing.. not

UndoControl said:
Bard: "Doom metal", folk metal, "doom" goth? I'll respect that, but plain slow rock is much more depressive imo.

Notice how I also included bands such as Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky who would fit the description of "slow rock"

and most, if not all the stuff I mentioned is not folk metal, its just plain folk music if I said folk... It'd be nice if people listened to the bands before they commented.